Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge #266 - Under New Management

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by roger@pennyflic, May 9, 2018.

1. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Well... I think this weeks Challenge thread went really well.....don't you..:whistling::whistling:

@dogletnoir : This really needed to have the guitar brought right up in the mix. I was listening with headphones and struggled to home in on what you were playing, which was a pity because what I could distinguish was pretty sweet. Right up front in the mix next time eh, brave and bold.

@Brian H : No surprise you picked this one Brian, pretty much right up your alley. Some really nice melodic lines mixed in and making good use of the front pickup. I liked the exaggerated vibrato that combined with the wah wah. Actually the longer I listen to it the more I like it. Cool man.:thumb:

@alainvey : No surprise regarding your choice either mate. What I really liked here was that you only gave the barest nod to the existing melody which - considering how well known it is must have been pretty tough. I like your your playing a lot man. Another great take. :thumb:

@Brian H : Interesting what make these songs "blues". It's not 12bar but a chord sequence. If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. But back to you brian, you hit a wrong note at exactly 2.00minutes - a Gb I believe - you think you can get away with that just by sliding down to the right one ??:mad: [Just to prove I am listening :whistling::whistling:]

@knh555 : What is it about the blues that allows us guitarists to excel. This was a really good mix of your own style layered on top of one of those chordy blues things that lets you pick the real "emotional" note when the chord changes. Nice work Kev, keep 'em coming:)

@knh555 : Again, there's Kevin doing what Kevin does best. I've never really heard anyone that plays like you (that's a good thing), it's would be interesting to learn of you influences. This one really kicks along, I recon your probably one of those guitarist that could make a 3 piece work. Well done. :thumb:

@Chipper : As previously mentioned, you took this "blues" somewhere else with that madoline and then continued the "journey" when the 'lectric took over :thumb:

@blasphemoustrat : Some more really nice front pickup play. By the way, Hendrix wants his E7+9 (the hendrix cord) back. Hell mate when was it ever bad to sound like hendrix, in fact although he invented the stuff I think other people play it better. You made a pretty good job of it....A very good job of it. ;)

Well folks that pretty much winds up this weeks Challenge, yes there were some tears but as @Alan L Cole said "it's the fire that hardens the steel". I look forward to a whole new week when next we meet on "Challenge #267 - 3 songs, 2 rules"

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    lonegroover likes this.

2. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    I'm looking forward to it sir

roger@pennyflic and lonegroover like this.

3. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

yes that was a bad note! I almost stopped and started again, but then thought....maybe not too bad. Sometimes its not about making no mistakes...its about dealing with them. Often if you dont act like you made a mistake..dont wince or shrug and kind of bend or slide down....actually try to resolve the mistake, its not noticed. Sometimes they even sound ok. That one was just not good :thumbd:. It sticks out a little to much. But its a spontaneous thing so I just go with it.

knh555 likes this.

4. Brian H

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    regrading the first one...I felt good about that. But feel I did what I can tend to do when playing over something only once or twice and recording it.....I'm unsure and will play too many notes. Not always plying fast with too many notes..just too many. I can tell while listening back where I thought...ok...settle down...dont play too many notes :whistling:

alainvey likes this.

5. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Don't sweat it Brian. My comment was a little "tongue in cheek". There's a number of people I wouldn't consider dropping that on but you're obviously a pretty decent player and no-one can do what you do without a mistake here or there.

I pretty sure we are all our own harshest critics. Man, you should hear what I start off with when I begin one of these things.

6. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    @Brian H

Hey Brian, I just had a thought. If this is what you truly believe then why not - for the next challenge - say okay I am only gonna play 4 notes per bar maximum. It might take a bit of courage cuz you are going to have to post something that may be a long way from where you are at - but hell, we all know how well you play. This to me is why the challenges are so useful, as I have a specific set of goals in mind when I participate.

As an aside, a small anecdote. I had a couple of hour car journey to take alone the other day and so I burnt a cd of all the Challenges/Jams I had participated in over the last 6 months and took it with me. I listened to the lot during the trip and when I arrived home I thought to myself, "I am a better guitarist than I was 6 months ago". I cant recommend more strongly participating in these things religiously and setting yourself some goals that you wish to achieve.

and think of the bonus, you might get a laugh once in a while. :)

Cheers
    P.S. Brian, I am gonna be especially attentive of your next take.:thumb:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    knh555 likes this.

7. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    I’m constantly guilty of the musical equivalent of run-on sentences :D

8. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Aren’t we all!?!

Brian H likes this.

9. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I wish I knew enough notes to play too many !!:oops:

10. Brian H

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

oh yea no problem. I make plenty of mistakes....I just try to make them happy mistakes. :p

11. Brian H

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

Now THAT is a challenge :eek:. I accept !!

roger@pennyflic likes this.

12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I've imposed a similar limitation on myself at a gig once. At the time we played I Shot the Sheriff, and I would play a brief 4 note riff after the signature riff we all know and love. It's very repetitive, so I challenged myself to phrase those 4 notes differently every time I played them that night. It actually worked quite well.

An yeah, recording yourself on a regular basis is a great way to hear your progress...I'm a huge proponent of that. The improvements are usually small, so they only become apparent when you compare over a long spread of time.

13. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    That's the musical version of this:

14. blasphemoustrat

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa

15. blasphemoustrat

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    The original challenges that started many moons ago contained things like this. You can only use notes at are more than one string away, or only 4 notes total...

16. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Good thread, sorry I didn't have time to contribute but at least I made a useful addition to my ignore list! Currently growing at the rate of one dickhead per year which is quite sustainable, I think.

alainvey and roger@pennyflic like this.

17. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Well, why not.

That's the other thing people. If you have anything you particularly would like to do then just suggest it as per @blasphemoustrat

lonegroover likes this.

18. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    That's what I want to hear. :thumb::thumb: