Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge 310 Spring Forward

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chipper, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

Get ready for the weekend early with sweet sounds. More potpourri for you and me.

If anyone has home made backers to share, just tack em on!

choice 1

choice 2

choice 3

choice 4

choice from the moon

2. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

My wife was playing the Maple Leaf Rag on the piano while I was recording this. Very distracting, but nice nonetheless.

3. knh555

4. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    fretter, UmpaHimself, knh555 and 4 others like this.
  5. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Senior Stratmaster

Did someone get an awesome P90 LP?

I didn't listen yet, just acknowledging the guitar.

mjark and roger@pennyflic like this.
  6. roger@pennyflic

Well yes they did :p:);):cool:

Chipper and Alan L Cole like this.
  7. Alan L Cole

Awesome and congrats! That's a sweet looking (and I'm guessing sounding) guitar!

roger@pennyflic likes this.
  8. roger@pennyflic

Gotta walk the dog but will reveal all if anyone is interested. (Gadjooks it's nice:))

9. Alan L Cole

Update: Well in honor of the new gibby, I listened to your track early. Sounds good but still has your cool stamp on it. Mahogany body and set neck, black soap bar, string over stop tailpiece, and speed knobs, just like mine. How do you like it?

10. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

May this is screaming, the guitar is clearly as happy as you are. Match made in heaven!

11. roger@pennyflic

<TheShortStory>
    I got a new guitar​
    </TheShortStory>

<TheLongStory>

Please forgive the lengthy story but no-one in my family gives a rats about guitars so I need to get this off my chest..​

Sold my original strat not long after meeting my soon to be wife. I don't regret it as it was not a very good one ('70's model that had been badly refretted and I'd hacked it with a hot rails pickup). Roll forward about 10 years and the kids are about 5 years old and I wanted a guitar to mark the turn of the century. Bought a 1999 AmStd Telecaster with the hope that in 100 years it's gonna be a 20th Century Tele and worth a few bucks. Never looked at guitars again until 2012 when I casually walked into a store and thought "why are the guitars so cheap". As it happend we were selling buckets loads of iron ore to China and the $AUD was worth 1.10 $USD (it's presently .70). That manifested itself in the price of a strat being $1,400. To put that in perspective my Tele was $1,700 13 years prior and a new AM Professional today is about $2,300. So..bought a new AmStd HSS.

All was good except there was one thing missing. The OTHER guitar, the NOT a Fender guitar. Had a $160 Epi Les Paul junior that was a heap of dung, a $400 Epi Genesis that was not too bad but not really right. I was struggling with the fatter necks and the flatter fingerboard radius. Bought a Korean PRS SE Paul Allendar with active EMG's that had a great neck profile but I hated the jumbo frets. Then I bought a Bryan May Red Special. Loved the ebony board and the frets but the neck was like a baseball bat so I spent $350 on it and had the neck reprofiled to a more "fender" neck profile. Now it felt great but it never sounded like Bryan May. As pointed out to me, I don't have Bryan May's fingers but when I saw Queen a few years ago Bryan May doesn't sound like Bryan May either so I think there are a few studio shanannigans happening there.

.... I told you this was the long story .....

Then came the Crafted In China Thinline with the 2 P90's.($849) It's 90% of an AMStd at 1/3 the price but it's still not quite right. It has very tall frets which feel like "speed bumps every 5 metres" when you slide up the fretboard. Very good guitar though. So the search continued...perhaps the EPI SG with the humbuckers would work out. I did play it next to 2 gibsons and it was clearly a better guitar and priced at $499 but I seem to be continually trying convince myself that it is what I want and although it sounds great for rhythm stuff I still haven't got a really great and consistant soloing sound out of it. Sometimes it's great but not always.

So, I've always fancied a Les Paul DC but they have never been in my price range and so when these new ones came out at the right price it got my attention. It's only a single pickup though you might say..Well I have learnt from the Thinline that I very rarely use the front pickup, those P90's are as fat as....It's got a thick neck though you might also say..Well I've kinda been getting used to the SG's neck and it just seems that I should suck it up as that is what you get with one of these guitars.

GIBSON...In all sorts of trouble but seeming to be coming thru the mist. I must admit one prior time I had visited a music store and spent the entire afternoon playing each Gibson one after the other and they were all a piece of sh!te so it was with trepidation that I found a DC near by and headed off to have a look - frankly hoping I would NOT like it. That was not the case I really DID like it.

Side Note:- (I told you this was the long version). I heard the new Gibson CEO talking about how valuable the Gibson brand is and I must agree 110%. The EPI is a great guitar, perhaps a better guitar, but it's not a Gibson and I spent my teenage years standing at the stage in front of the guitarist (instead of chasing girls) and they always played a Fender or a Gibson. There is a lot of sentimental value there and a very powerful pull from the brand name (you would think at 61 years of age I could get past that but apparently not)

So...the next problem, how to get it past the missus. You guys are lucky, you can try one out and just send it back if it's not right but we can't do that. However a scheming mind knows no bounds. Credit Card companies are marketting hard at the moment and offering interest free periods effectly meaning you can buy something and not have to pay for it for sometimes close to 2 years and that was the clicher, I've managed a purchase on 9moths interest free giving me 9 months to sell the SG and the Thinline and finally (yeah right) be satisfied with the 2 Fenders and the Gibson.

Long story ? - I warned you.

I must say I am loving the feel of the neck, it is fatter but for some reason it just feels great, really solid and has the illusion of a more radius fretboard. Smaller frets-which apparently is what I like. The take today was done by plugging into my original pod (recently brought back into service) and dialed up to a standard "this sounds okay" setting. At the very least I can tell that I haven't gone backwards and the guitar really will replace the other 2. This things sells for $USD799 over there with you guys and I paid $AUD1149 Todays exchange rate (.71) would make it $1125 so I paid an extra $24 for shipping - not so bad.

So that's the story (yeah,yeah I know it was long but no-one else wants to listen) I've got many months (years) to explore the sounds (clean and dirty) so for the moment just assume I am playing it when I post a track. Right now, I couldn't imagine I would ever get rid of it and am hopeful that it will fill the slot in that holy trinity of guitars. (or the missing piece of my soul that has been yearning for "the right guitar")

Thank you for listening. :thumb:

</TheLongStory>

@Alan L Cole : Which Les Paul is yours, I always assumed it was a standard but it sounds like it's the junior ????

fretter, Chipper, mjark and 1 other person like this.
  12. Alan L Cole

Zzzzzzzzz... Geez, am I still alive, what year is it? Dang, that was longer than Tolstoy's 'War and Peace'. Could you tell us about your first amp purchase? I'm still breathing but that should do the deed. ;)

Seriously though, that's all very cool Roger, and again, congrats and wishing you have many hours of fun with it.

Mine is a 55/74 LP Special, a reissue in 1974 of the 1955 LP Special. You can see it on a number of my song pics. Tobacco Burst, two black soap bars, string-over stop tailpiece, speed knobs, etc. Got it new in the 70s.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    fretter likes this.
  13. Relaxing at Cam

Relaxing at Cam Strat-Talk Member

14. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

1. Telecaster neck pick up. No pick.

15. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

This morning I woke up to find a note from Katana slipped under my door. "Dear Slow Hand," she wrote sarcastically, "I appreciate hanging out with your cool guitars, but I want to go back into the fast lane with @knh555. Life is so much more fun with him. I mean he can record 3 songs while you are still wondering what key in simplest track is in. And perhaps more importantly, he doesn't put his feet on me while he is thinking." When I approached her to talk these issues out, she refused to acknowledge my presence. What should I do?

16. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

I had a Epiphone TV Yellow double cut P-90 once upon a time. I didn't keep it. I probably should have but I let it go. I had a real Strat jones at the time.

17. knh555

I like this. Better every week. Is that the new Strat Plus? And go easy on the girl. She didn't always behave for me and I thought sending her your way would show her how good she really had it. ;):whistling::p:sneaky:o_O

Chipper likes this.
  18. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

3. Les Paul both pick ups - feels kind of like I'm dragging an anvil up a hill to me.

19. knh555

Nice playing. You're clearly having a good time with the new ax. There's something wonderful about the minimalism inherent in that design.

20. knh555

I like it. I struggle with the tone on my LP, probably b/c I don't play it enough. I like yours here. And the playing too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.