Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge 310 Spring Forward

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chipper, Mar 13, 2019.

1. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

This is really way too much gain which is what I wanted but a Les Paul or any humbucker guitar for that matter has beautiful tone when played much much closer to clean.

2. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

Mark, This sounds just fine to me. Lots of Allman Brothers flavor. I like it

3. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Morning Folks..:)

These seem to be great choices Chip. I reckon I could connect with 4 out of 5 at least, maybe 6 out of 5o_O

@knh555 : BATTLING THE MAPLE LEAF RAG : If I was as rude as Alan I would tell you that I fell asleep reading such a long title (but lets face it I am actually much ruder.:eek:) Having said that, this is real pretty Kev, I liked this one a lot.:thumb: Can't wait to have a shot at it. EDIT: Your use of the whammy bar has me tossing up whether to install mine.:)
    TRANSITION : Spacey and ominous. Reckon this one would make a good movie soundtrack. Nice work. :thumb:
    @roger@pennyflic : CHALLENGE310A : Dude, ya got a new guitar :):) Tell us about it.. and don't spare the details :whistling::whistling: (Sorry I can't "like" your track - seems to be something wrong withST)

@Relaxing at Cam : SEMI AUTOMATIC KALEIDOSCOPE : Gettin' the feel of this one, the A,B,D structure is a good one to play around with.:thumb:

@mjark : LAID BACK : No pick ?, no kiddin' I couldn't do that. And yeah, the Tele front pickup is a great sound. Nicely laid back, Well done.

"I had a Epiphone TV Yellow double cut P-90 once upon a time. I didn't keep it. I probably should have but I let it go. I had a real Strat jones at the time." Are we never satisfied, I really want to stick to just three but who knows what's in the future.

DRAG : I like the track. When I listen to your stuff, I can hear when you are trying new things and extending yourself. I think you did a good job. :thumb:

@Chipper : EXPLAINING IT TO THE GOAT : Oh No Chip, tell me it aint so. It sounds like Katana is only a loner. Is it one of those things tribes do to welcome you, you know, give you their wife for a spell. Don't sweat it Chip Russian mail order brides are a dime a dozen and the emails I get show that every single one of them is gorgeous and only wants to serve their new western husbands.:whistling: Oh, nice playing by the way. :thumb:

@Alan L Cole : Once again AWOL,MIA. Oh...except for that wonderful anecdote about waking up. (Don't be concerned AL, I'm not angry, just very, very hurt):p:p:p:p:p

Chipper likes this.
  4. roger@pennyflic

and one more... you know I don't think there is anything "junior" 'bout this guitar at all.:cool:
    I'm callin' this one "New guitar, same old licks"

5. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

@roger@penyflic You are certainly making your new girlfriend sing, full throated, belting it out fun. Thank you!

roger@pennyflic likes this.
  6. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

I was compelled by Roger's killer take to add my own weak echo, trying to avoid quarter notes. I used the SG to try to get some good dirt. We'll see...

7. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Because I had to record something on the newly refinished Peavey Patriot...

8. knh555

9. knh555

I just had to make sure the slide worked on the newly rebuilt and set-up guitar. I don't think it's broken.:whistling:

10. roger@pennyflic

Morning Folks. :)

@Chipper : SWEET HOME MASSACHUSETTS : It's great Chip that you have a non-exclusive relationship with your girlfriends. Fender one night, Gibson the next. :whistling: Throw in the Russian mail order bride and your livin' the dream. :thumb: I must admit that I stalked you and Kevin the other day to find out where Massachusetts is. North of New York right ?. What's all this got to do with your track ? Well nothing I suppose, I was just shootin' the breeze. I like the SG, I think I'm a Gibson man at heart :eek:

@knh555 : ALL THREE : You know Kev I could tell as soon as your first track started that the Peavey had changed colour. I must admit it took me 23 sceonds to pick that it was now a very green sound.:p It looks like you've done a pretty decent job on those two. Has it given them a new lease on life.?. Interesting pickups, a bar across a humbucker sized something ?. Anyway, you gave it decent workout, well done. :thumb:

Chipper likes this.
  11. knh555

They're P90ish pickups but a bit of their own thing. they're humbucker sized, have a magnet on the back, a strat bobbin, and a blade across and potted with epoxy, which keeps them lively. They're actually pretty interesting to play. The guitar itself feels very Fender-like but smaller, lighter (6 lbs 4 oz) with a Gibson-scale neck. The neck is wonderful, with enough profile to fill the hand without being large, plus a rolled fretboard. So yeah, it's got a new lease on life. I wouldn't have refinished it if I didn't think the guitar worthwhile. I took both it and the bass over to @Chipper's place yesterday and he gave the bass a thumbs up, including my set-up incredibly enough.

12. roger@pennyflic

Sounds great Kev. It's something I would like to do but never had the confidence (or the workshop).

13. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

14. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Strat-O-Master

Everybody's sounding great so far

VERY distracting, I can only imagine. Great playing though

Sounds great and great playing. Love Juniors.

LPs feel like I'm running in sand compared to a Strat.

15. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

I was referring to my playing. My LP plays like butter. Too easy maybe.

16. roger@pennyflic

and testing out whether I have found my funk

<QUESTION - Care of Your Gibson> Warning - Icky content

So you've probably gathered that it can get quite warm down here. Thru summer it's mostly just shorts (No Shirt/T-Shirt). What that means is that after plaing there is usually a line of salt left on the guitar. With the Fenders Gloss Polyester that is not a problem as it wipes straight off. It would seem though the Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer on the Gibson does not provide that "easy to clean" protective layer.

Am I gonna mess up the finish if it's continually exposed to the salt from my body. (Told you it was Icky)

</QUESTION>

fretter, mjark and Chipper like this.
  17. knh555

That'll just be known as the Aussie Relic I suppose.

I would think wiping it down with a gibson-approved/branded polish would be OK, but I'm certainly no expert on this.

18. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

@mjark Great moments at 1:02 and about 1:50. I am going to try and try this one too as soon as I have coffee :)

19. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

last gasp before Sunday...

mjark likes this.
  20. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Senior Stratmaster

The Jam tracks are ready. I'll post soon for Roger's jump start. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.