Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge No. 249

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mjark, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

Thanks. I love that guitar. Ive had a bunch of Strats and never had one that was easy to play and responsive to pick attack etc. The main things asr are the neck....compound and the shape change....the slightly longer cutaway on the back that makes it just sit right....the carved heel.

Bonus items are the Shawbucker and the bridge. The SB still retains the strat vibe but it thicker and heavier than the single coil. The bridge...I just really dislike the 'vintage' style. I rest my hand on the bridge and press down on it a lot and the saddles on the Vintage style dig into my hand.

One thing I never use the 'bypass' button that gives you only the SB...no tone controls etc. Its ridiculous sounding and out of balance with the rest. So I could do without that but its out of the way. Not into the black and white color of the SB....I prefer the look of the sss...but am more concerned about the sound so I deal with it.

jimyjazz likes this.

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    My favourite guitar neck is a big ol' compound radius Warmoth Strat. To me, It's all that's good about Fender near the nut, transforming into what I like about Gibsons higher up.

Brian H and s5tuart like this.

3. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Thanks. I've bookmarked that track. I'll spend some more time on it when I'm able. :D

4. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thanks to @simoncroft, here's an attempt to be even more chill, which goes totally against my usual squirrel-like ADD playing.

[EDIT] Tuned to open Em for this take, slid on the Ibby.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

5. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Thanks for the effort putting that one together guys.....Oh by the way, which one is pink. (geddit, geddit):):):)

AmStd HSS (neck pickup). POD:Rectified.Drive on 1/3

6. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    Great track, guys! I think it deserves something more than my 1 take recording.

7. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweden
    Felt pretty ok when trying it out a few times but once i hit the rec button it felt like everything was lost. I have the feeling the entire recording is missing a lot of treble also but well well

8. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

Jan 14, 2015
    Annapolis

9. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @knh555 – You could probably get a gig with Chris Isaak if you keep playing like this. I think you’ve just demonstrated less really can be more.

@roger@pennyflic – There’s quite a Floyd vibe going on here, which works very well. You also interact nicely with the track, especially the other guitar.

@Raimonds – You are easily good enough to nail this in one, and you did. As usual, you make full use of the changes, rather than just riding over them.

@MagnusR – Miles Davis suggested that when the tempo was fast, it was best to play slow. You’ve reversed that logic and made it work. Very original.

@ultrahedgehog – There is a vocal quality to your tone and the lines you play here. Smooth but also admirably memorable and also fluid.

10. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

Thanks. This is a great exercise as it does go against my impatience. I forgot to mention that I tuned to open Em for this one as well.

11. duzie

duzie Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    So I just hit record playing my Squier Showmaster and this happened .
    Wasn’t really thinking about recording something for this challenge.
    I didn’t even tune up
    Since I didn’t hit to many sour notes I thought I would post it ...

12. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @duzie – I'm so glad you posted this because it really is very nice. Your sense of when to play and what to play is acute, as is your attention to the backing.

duzie likes this.

13. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I really like this quote. As I am not a particularly fast player it is a conclusion I came to some years ago. I mean 8 beats per second is the the same as 2 beats every 4 seconds or 1 beat every 8 seconds.

Thx simon.

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    So I've been down with the flu all week, but fear not, Ebidis lives!

After a few shots of vodka and lemon juice (for medicinal purposes only mind you) I thought I would post this so you can all bask in the glory that is Ebidis!

Please do not feel unworthy, after all, you are only mere mortals. Just revel in the wonderfulness, and feel the awesome. ;)

(BTW, the previous was sarcasm, in case any of you might have thought I was serious)

15. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    still knocking some rust off from not really playing for a month, also...tore part of my GD callus off during this take...that hurts...stevie I am not...no super glue for me...

16. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    this was an earlier take. one take before the green strat take i think...go pro numbering not withstanding...it doesnt seem to name videos in order anymore...and i think my second try at it....it felt like it needed a semi hollow...thing wouldnt stay in tune...also...a very small spider wanders around for most of the video...hes real, not fancy editing....

17. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The spider is GARGANTUAN! :eek:

blasphemoustrat likes this.

18. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    So tell us about that green strat ??

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I'll tell you about it. It sounds killer!

Although, that may have something to do with the guy that's holding it. ;)

s5tuart and blasphemoustrat like this.

20. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I like guitars but oh I do hate spiders. Don't do that again. Although I do believe that the saliva from a small spider makes an excellent poultice for a torn callus. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ebidis likes this.