Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Cheaper than cheap tube amps... which one would you buy?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Tomas83, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I want a tube amp. I know there are very decent solid state and digital ones, but from the tube amps I played, simply said that's what I want. Ideally I'll get a custom built head by Mr. Terry Dayton, but for now I have these options. Local Craigslist is having Crate V5 for price of a steak dinner, also selling Monoprice 5w (first gen?) or for about the same price I can buy a new Monoprice. I know these are not crème de la crème, but that my budget and I'm not interested in spending more. Which one would you choose? Btw. I'm considering the 15w Monoprice too 90% because of the separate volume and master so I could crank it without getting loud. My ideal speaker combo is 2x10 so no real preference between the 8" and 12". I don't care for a reverb, digital or spring so that's not a tie breaker either. Good crunch is what I'm after, and quality. (Of course considering price)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    abnormaltoy likes this.

2. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Does your budget cover a Peavey Classic 30? A sweet little amp and very reasonably priced on the used market...maybe in the $250-350 range?

tealsixtysix and moullineaux like this.

3. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    No that's a little too much. I can have a custom built one for about that price which is my plan anyway. I'd like to get something inexpensive but decent sounding. (And 30w is a little too much for me, too many tubes to change)

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Are you talking about one you build yourself?

5. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Nope. Check out D-Lab (YouTube, reverb) I'm looking for a simple small head and Terry said he'd build one for me for about $300...

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. playit

playit Strat-O-Master

Jul 14, 2014
    Germany
    The vaporizer is 2×10 ...
    12watts and that is loud enough for me in any case except open airs ..
    Sounds a bit surfy if you open up the reverb - I like this thing.
    5-watters are not loud enough for a loud rock band - but the PA can help ..
    I have a tsa 5 (older model) that sounds good at home.

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    What is your total budget and more importantly what sound are you after Fender,Marshall,Vox? I have a Epiphone Valve Jr Hot Rod, Blackheart BH5H, Vox AC10C and Champion 600, They were all under 150 except for the Vox which I got used for 250. I want a Monoprice 15 Watt as well just to try it and open it up to see what's in it.

JustABluesGuy and abnormaltoy like this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Princeton Reverb.

abnormaltoy likes this.

9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I would just save up and eat baloney until I could get something that meets my minimum requirements.

Don't sell out "cheap".
    Something you have to work a little bit harder for will be more satisfying to own.

Stratoskater and abnormaltoy like this.

10. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Bugera V5 is great for getting your feet wet with a tube amp...Good drive from the amp, especially if you're just playing at bedroom volume and turn the attenuator down and the gain up. The clean sound needs an EQ pedal in front of it to boost the highs, since the base tone is really really dark, but with the EQ it sounds pretty damn good.

I have one and have loved it for a couple months, but I'm upgrading to a Blues Junior.

11. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thanks I had the chance of trying the Vaporizer, I was excited about the 2x10 but wasn't really liking it that much. It's a loud clean amp. I love Fender amps but I'm after overdrive at low volume (around 1w)

abnormaltoy likes this.

12. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I'm willing to spend $150 for now. I love Fender, but I really want to be able to overdrive it at really low volume so the master volume and separate gain control is what I want. Like I was mentioning in time I'll have a 5w head from D-Lab and a 2x10 cab with it.

abnormaltoy likes this.

13. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Unless somebody needs to get rid of theirs by gifting it to me, I don't see that happening :)

abnormaltoy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

14. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I know and I'm going to do so. I found the Crate real cheap on Cragslist and it would be great to finally have a tube amp. I play guitar for 20 years and I haven't owned a tube amp yet...

abnormaltoy likes this.

15. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners

I had the chance of playing the Bugera few times and never once considered buying it. I didn't crank it unfortunately, but I remember liking the Champion 600 much more when GC was selling them for $100...

abnormaltoy likes this.

16. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    abnormaltoy likes this.

17. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thanks isn't this the previous version of Crate V5? That's what I can buy here locally well below my budget... we'll update. The V8 has a separate gain and master volume controls. The V5 doesn't. This one would be better. Thanks. I'll think about it

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    abnormaltoy likes this.

18. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i really done know anything about crate amps......sorry.

edit.....i just checked the V5 out and it seems it has no preamp tube(s) like the V8 does.

abnormaltoy likes this.

19. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Btw. What are your thoughts on Jet City 20 combo? Here's a demo

abnormaltoy likes this.

20. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i have never played through one but ive heard nothing but good things about them.

heres a vid

abnormaltoy likes this.