Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Chuck Berry sucks

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by monstermagnet85, Feb 25, 2011.

1. monstermagnet85

monstermagnet85 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I just saw some live footage of Chuck and he's ancient and can hardly play **** on guitar..

he was hitting wrong notes alot and just bending the same note over and over...

maybe it's cause he's too old and can't play anymore.
  2. harrysmo

harrysmo Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    He's in his mid-80s and never was a great player. However he wrote some of the most iconic songs in Rock history. Give the guy a break! At least he's still out there performing and letting people see a legend in person. Hopefully some 20-something won't be saying that you suck in 60 years. Although you probably will.
  3. tiredguy

tiredguy Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Keith Richards is on his way over to your house right now to beat you to death with his walking stick.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes and he was was the main guy that brought IMO Whites and Blacks together with his stuff.

YouTube - Chuck Berry vs Keith Richards! -Hilarious
  6. AncientAx

AncientAx Senior Stratmaster

Nov 24, 2010
    Chuck is the REAL King of Rock and Roll . Sorry Elvis but it is what it is .
  7. me_alex

me_alex Strat-Talker

Nov 2, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Although he never was a great guitar player, he's decent enough, and we should admire him for what he contributed to modern music and for his ability to keep on going.
    When I'm 80, I'll probably be in bed with a feeding tube...
  8. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 9, 2010
    He deserves credit for writing one of the most, if not the most well known intros is rock history. And yeah..."Hail, Hail Rock and Roll" is an awesome movie.
  9. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Are you kidding me? Not a great player? Have you heard Johnny B. Goode?

What else were people doing at that exact time in music history? Chuck came out rocking and shredding when people were still trying to figure out how these 'new' electric guitars worked.

This entire thread/post is nothing but trolling for a reaction. Go practice your guitar and hope one day you're half as inventive as Chuck Berry was.

YouTube - Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode (Live 1958)

He wrote his songs, recorded his songs, and sang and performed his songs. He's been playing music for people for 60 years and at his age still gets on stage and tries to do his thing. He's old now, he just collapsed on stage here in Chicago not too long ago.

Appreciate what your guitar elders have done before you, especially the ones who've dedicated their entire life to their guitar and playing songs for ungrateful people.

Every time you do a big bend, double stop, unison lick. You're tipping your hat to Chuck Berry whether you know it or not.

I'm not even that much older then you (if your posted age is true, judging by the immature nature of your post I wonder.) But I wouldn't disrespect my guitar elders like this,....ever.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  10. LyleGreen

LyleGreen Strat-Talker

Oct 24, 2010
    Fredericton, New Brunswic
    Quite true, probably the greatest legend and biggest contributor to rock n roll . However........ he never really cared anything about the fans. He didn't bother to put together a good band that could support him and cover his weak spots He would just breeze into down, use whatever local (low cost) pickup band the promoter had scrounged up for him, stuff his cash into his pants pocket or whatever and depart. By all accounts a very nasty piece of work.

Still, those legendary riffs provide the basis to the soundtrack of all our youths. Despise the man, but love the artist I suppose.
  11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Dude, lay off Chuck. At that age anyone would be havin' some problems. He is still a founder of Rock-N-Roll.
  12. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

Aug 16, 2009
    so true. so true. well, let's say Chuck Berry AND Little Richard.
  13. spanker63

spanker63 Strat-O-Master

Nov 9, 2010
    Upstate NY
  14. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 25, 2009
    The Evergreen State
    I saw Chuck open for Tom Petty back in September and yeah, he was terrible. But, he's getting up there in years.
  15. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Did he really need a touring backup band though? It's not that hard to back up his songs and a touring backup band is expensive. He wrote and performed the songs, he should get the bulk of the money.

Besides trying to hold a band together when you're the one doing all the writing and performing is stupid hard. Egos get involved and you end up playing psychiatrist half of the time instead of just playing music.

I don't knock how he did it at all. When a guy is the frontman, guitarist, writer and singer, and "visionary" for the band, (much like Dave Mustaine in Megadeth) It's really hard to keep a band together.

I'd say what he did was pretty smart actually.
  16. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2008
    De'ville, Florida
  17. ArticStrat

ArticStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 6, 2011
    Mitten State
    Naw, MJ Fox taught CB everything he knew...(Didn't ya watch Back To The Future)? LOL just kiddin. :)

Chuck was great for what he contributed to music.
  18. AncientAx

AncientAx Senior Stratmaster

Nov 24, 2010
    Chuck had Johnny Johnson who he did screw over . Those two together were KILLER !
  19. russ324

russ324 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 14, 2010
    Mogadore, Ohio
    Oh my. I have become my parents. To the original poster. You don't know what good music is. That being said I have to find my bottle of Geritol!! Just think, these kids are going to decide what nursing home we get stuck in. Russ