Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

CL - 1978 Fender Stratocaster $940 (Chesterfield, SC)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bluejazzoid, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Yes, it is good potentially for those who might not recognize such listings as scams... I just don't want to contribute to a scam in any way, if possible.

2. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Not necessarily true. I sell a lot on craigslist and I'll accept pp gift for a payment. I even bought a car this way. Didn't have cash but I bought it through my credit card and PP. I'm not shipping though

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I will usually accept PayPal for payment, but.... given that I know I'm being legit, I tell the buyer that the fee is on them! :eek: :D Especially if the price has been dropped through negotiation. I would NEVER ask for a friends/family/gift payment, but will accept it if offered, as it's certainly no skin off my nose! Now, when passing $$$ and stuff between known friends, that's a different story altogether.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    john lavelle likes this.

4. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Absolutely. And a good reminder to google check images when in doubt.

Good catch, man.

john lavelle and vid1900 like this.

5. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Don't ever accept Paypal.

Even if the **buyer** gifts it to you, he can still do a chargeback through his credit card.

He has 6 months to do it.

He can even say you never delivered the item, even if you have a signed receipt from him - because Paypal does not accept non-electronically verifiable signatures

6. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I don't think that's true. With the gift option it's similar to giving someone cash vs the goods and services options which do offer protections.

*edit seems to be true if he uses a credit card but I don't think it applies if done via bank account/credit union

7. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    It's totally true.

Guys in the Pinball and audiophile hobbies get ripped for $7,000+ regularly by believing that "If someone gifts/frends&family you a Paypal payment, they can't get it back"

Scammers count on you believing that old wives tale.

8. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    From another f:

PAYPAL

================================================

Well, if Checks and Money Orders are fraught with dangers, Paypal must be safe right?

Paypal is good if you are a BUYER, but you should never accept it as a seller.

Of course if someone rips you off for $50 on a display glass you sold them, you are not going to lose much sleep, but if someone rips you off for $7000, that's a different story.

Don't accept Paypal for payment on large items.

There are 1000s of Paypal scams on the net, but the two that probably apply the most to Pinheads is Chargeback and Counterfeit.

CHARGEBACK - a Chargeback is where someone files a dispute with Paypal.

If you are a regular Paypal user, you have probably found out that it is simply the flip of a coin as to whether Paypal sides with you or not. Sometimes they ask for evidence, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it takes 2 days and sometimes 2 weeks, but however they rule, the ruling is final. There is no appeals process, no submitting more evidence, it's just a crap shoot.

IF SOMEONE PAYS ME AS A "GIFT" THEY CAN'T FILE A DISPUTE, RIGHT?

Ah, here is another False Belief that is exploited by scammers to steal from you.

Paypal says that if you pay someone by "Gift" there is no disputing of the transaction through Paypal allowed. So people get the idea into their heads that this must the only safe way to accept money from Paypal.

What Paypal does not tell you is that all the buyer has to do is file a dispute directly with their Credit Card company and then the Credit Card company will chargeback Paypal, who will then Chargeback you, the seller.

And as a super bonus, although Paypal's dispute period is 45 days (180 days for some items), most Credit Card companies allow chargebacks for 6 months. So even months latter, you can get a chargeback from Paypal.

If you have already removed the money from your Paypal account, Paypal will try to take the chargeback amount from any bank account or credit card you have attached to your Paypal account.

If they can't get that money from any of those sources, they sell the debt immediately to a collection agency.

COUNTERFEIT - Another great scam is the buyer files a dispute with Paypal that the item or a substantial part of the item is Counterfeit.

Under Paypal's rules, Counterfeit items can not be returned to the seller - they must be destroyed by the buyer in order for Paypal to refund the purchase price.

No one at Paypal is a expert on Pinball authenticity, so they simply request the buyer send photo evidence that the machine indeed has been destroyed, and the money is refunded to the buyer.

You are out the machine, the shipping costs and the payment at this point.

---------------------------------------

Here is the $2,500 150 year old violin that Paypal made the buyer smash in order to get a refund:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...ebay-buyer-violin-counterfeit-_n_1183687.html

valvestate likes this.

9. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    PAYPAL LOCAL PICK UP SCAMS

=====================================

A guy calls and after a bit of conversation, he says he will buy your pinball machine!

He allows you to share his excitement and hey, that was easy, you say to yourself.

But just before heading over to your place, he calls and says he wants to pay you with Paypal.

He **really** needs to pay with Paypal because:

1. His bank is closed, and he wants your game right now.

2. He wants to use his credit card so he gets some points, or....

3. He needs to use his credit card, and because you are not a merchant, he can only use Paypal to buy from you.

Hmmmm.....you say to yourself; everything involving Paypal is stupidly risky to an intelligent seller....

"Hey! Tell you what, I'll even pay you the 3% Paypal fee ! I don't want you to have to be inconvenienced because of me. " he says, interrupting your thought. "In fact, I'll Paypal GIFT the money to you. No fees or anything!", he adds.

Alright, you reluctantly agree. At least he is buying the game and he has not even seen it yet.

-

Your wife is of course skeptical, but you tell her that you are going to take down the guy's driver's license and his license plate; **just in case**.

-

Guy shows up, is excited about the game. He pokes at his phone paying you by Paypal.

You check your phone, you have funds!

You: Hey guy, can I see your driver's license, you know, just in case?
    Guy: Really??? I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. Well..I guess.... (hands you his license reluctantly ).
    You: Great, you know, can't be too careful...
    Guy: Yep, a lot of crazy people in this world, that's for sure.
    You: And....can you sign this paper stating you picked up the game?
    Guy: Wow, I did not have to provide this much documentation when I bought my house...heh heh....

The gent leaves and you tell your wife that he was a nice guy.

-

Of course a day later, Paypal gives you a charge-back for the entire price of the game.

You tell them that you have a signed receipt that the guy picked up the game, but it falls on deaf ears - Paypal does not accept non-digital tracking delivery verification.

You call the cops and they tell you that even though the amount of money is a felony, because of the way it went down, it is a civil matter - you need to take him to court.

Because he Paypal Gifted the money to you, his address does not appear in your Paypal account statement. Good thing you wrote down his driver's license info.

You send registered letters to his address and they come back unsigned. You pay $50 for a name lookup and find out that they guy who came and got the game is not the guy at that address! You always though that only college kids had those fake IDs....

-

Paypal accounts are Phished all the time.

People file Paypal charge-backs all the time.

A stolen credit card number is used to put funds into an account, Paypal reverses the payment to you. Since the buyer is a "friend or family member" of yours, you are stuck trying to recover the money.

Professional con men are ten steps ahead of you all the time.

-

If you take one thing away from this entire guide:

DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL AS PAYMENT FOR EXPENSIVE ITEMS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

valvestate likes this.

10. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Paperback Rocker likes this.

11. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    bluejazzoid and Stratbats like this.

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Right, that would explain the missing screw. Whoever swapped the PG dropped a screw.

13. Jeremy79

Jeremy79 New Member!

May 19, 2018
    Ga

14. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    I'd buy it, but only to flip immediately. Few Strats from that era were any good (from the ones I've played and the one I owned). I'd bump it up to $1250 in another selling venue and someone would be thrilled to get it.

15. artgtr

artgtr Senior Stratmaster

Aug 18, 2013
    WURTSBORO, NY
    If it wasn’t a scam, it would be a good deal. This same guitar was on another site for like $1700. A while ago. Exactly same picture, read earlier posts on this thread! They will have xplain it!

16. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    And the response:

Gonna be way to busy for all that.
    But I can send to via paypal via the "send money option") save u 2.9% fee...
    Also I would let it go for 350$ upfont
    And 225$ after u get it..

Last time it was that he had to be in Florida, and then, when I had a new date I could meet him, his original trip got delayed and he was REALLY going to Florida this time.

I wish there was a way to catch the guy. Who knows how many people he's swollen money from?

Should I get his Paypal handle and report him?

17. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Man, since you've got him thinking he's gonna see some Paypal money from you, you oughta at least try report him that way!

He sounds like a real con.