Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Clapton losing his hearing

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jaybones, Jan 10, 2018.

1. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France

2. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    The organisers could just make sure there's plenty of cheap beer stands around so that you get served without queuing forever and orchestrate an unforeseen "delay" to give everyone time to drink plenty by the time he comes on stage. Then none will notice and everyone will have a wonderful time!

Mansonienne likes this.

3. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I am quite sure I’ll have a wonderful time!

4. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Getting old sucks - give the man a break .

5. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Eric: Jeff, answer that telephone.
    Jeff: Eric, did you set an egg timer?
    Pete: Would somebody please let that person at the bloody door in?

6. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    Man that sucks. I won't complain about tendonitis (though it is much worse than that) in my hands if he is still playing proficiently at 72. But the bottom line is that all good things come to an end for all of us eventually. If you think today is hard tomorrow will be harder. That is meant as a positive to encourage living in the moment.

NC

Bob the builder likes this.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I saw him as the opening act for "The Rolling Stones" in about +/- 1977 and they figuratively "poured" him onto the stage, near Buffalo, NY. It was sad and I was not the least bit impressed. "The Stones" all seemed to be pretty "lit up" also, but were still "The Stones!" With that said, he never really impressed me as a player until years later. While his creative genius he always been stunning, his playing always sounded kinda sloppy to me, until his later years. It's interesting that in many interviews he's "alluded" to the admission (not his exact words) that he was lucky enough to be in the right places, at the right times, with just enough skills to get his foot in the door! This is especially evident in the interview where he is seated with an SG and discusses the "Woman Tone." Now please don't misunderstand me here, I still regard him as having grown into one of the finest guitarists of rock's history and applaud his efforts, courage and diligence of struggling through his demons and conquering them, instead of just withering away as others have. Lesser men would likely have given up many times over!

FWIW, I was "falling down, blackout drunk" on stage, ONCE and that was enough to make me vow to NEVER allow it to happen again!

He Will Be Missed When His Time Comes!
    Gene

Paperback Rocker likes this.

8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-Talker

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    I just have to say that the majority of the Daily News articles that I've read have proven to be false.
    Don

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Strat-O-Master

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho

10. fezz parka

Modesty.

Y
    ' 77 was the height of his drunkenness. I'm not surprised.

Let's hear you. ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

11. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Seems like all that blow (referenced in his famous t-shirt) would have kept him from getting so drunk.

Maybe Keef smacked him around backstage if you get my drift.

fezz parka likes this.

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    download.png

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Strat-O-Master

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    He has made his millions, that must account for something.

fezz parka likes this.

14. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    73 this year!? Holy S*** Batman, if that's all that's ailing him I'd say he's done well! I'm 10 years younger and I'm bloody falling apart!

15. The Ballzz

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Hey, I never said that I was smart enough in the mid '70s (I was young and stupid) to have paid any attention to his earlier stuff or even any influential blues. And even on that recording, while his skills and musicality are certainly evident, his style sure was kinda "raw" at the very least! Now I'm just old and stupid, but not quite stupid enough to bore and horrify any of you masters with my butchery! :eek: The best I can claim is that my tone is fantastic and my guitar is always impeccably in tune!:D I consider myself one of those players who tends to go by the adage: "If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshirt!" As it is, I consider myself a singer more than a guitarist, though I really love playing the guitar.

And as mentioned, I certainly grew to respect Eric and his skills as time went on and I got a tiny bit smarter.

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

16. nutball73

nutball73 Strat-Talker

Nov 12, 2013
    UK
    I'm guessing he's short of a bit of cash and is lining up a claim for workplace injury...

17. fezz parka

That's what I like about it.

18. The Ballzz

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I have grown to appreciate "raw" as it is a convenient justification for my own shortcomings! :whistling: :rolleyes:

Just Hackin'
    Gene

19. fezz parka

It's only a shortcoming if you perceive it to be. :)

20. The Ballzz

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Thanks for the positive reinforcement and encouragement."I ams what I ams and that't all that I ams!" :D
    Thanks Again,
    Gene

fezz parka likes this.