Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

clapton mid boost

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by geetar, Dec 26, 2010.

1. geetar

geetar Strat-O-Master

so whats everyones opinons on the clapton/fender mid boost kit.

ive heard alot of mixed review, it seems with the right pickups its amazing and with the wrongs ones....well.

2. Adrian86

Adrian86 Strat-Talker

I love it in my Clapton Strat with Vintage Noiseless pickups! It really gives you more of everything but I think it works better with vintage style or vintage orientated amps. I´m not really a fan of it when I use this Strat with my Marshall TSL60, although it sounds perfect through my ´57 Twin RI, several Hot Rod Amps and also a JTM45 RI I tried it with some weeks ago.

3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Senior Stratmaster

I just installed one in a 50's Road Worn and I think it has vastly improve the guitar's sound. I liked the RW before but it always sounded a little dead and needed more volume on the amp, more gain on whatever overdrive or distortion pedal I was using. Over all the sound was good but weak. Now it's super bad azz and has moved way up as a "I'm taking this one to the gig tonight" guitar. I have a few nice strats and now the little road worn sounds better then most of them. I was going to change the pickups. I was gonna change the trem block. Now I ain't changing a thing. I've done 2 gigs with it this weekend and have received nothing but compliments about the sound of that guitar. Anyway hope this helps. I'm new around here but I've been at this a while and own seven strats. I really love strats! Good Luck with yours.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. strat79

strat79 Strat-Talker

Did you yous the same pickups or did you go to a noiseless pickup? and if you used the same p/u did it increase the amount of noise that you would normally think of with a single coil p/u guitar

6. Electgumbo

Like I said in the post "I was gonna change the pickups" "I was gonna change the trem block ". I did none of those things. The guitar still has the Tex-Mex pickups and the pot metal trem block. I got the EC kit back in 97' and installed it in a Hendrix Woodstock Strat. I played it that way for a few years and one day I decided the guitar lost some of it's Voodoo so I removed the EC and returned the guitar to stock. Since then the EC booster and TBX control have gathered dust in my junk parts box. Were crappie pickups go to die. I took last week off from my day gig, fought off a bought of the stomach virus which my daughter and wife had. In my boredom stuck at home with the sick I googles "50's Road Worn Strat Mods. Found lots of people doing the EC boost mod so I it thought " I can do that and I don't have to spend any money or even leave the house". So there ya go dude. Oh and no it really isn't any more noisey then when you use a tubescreamer or FD2. Sorry for the long winded answer but there ya go. Peace!

7. takis61

takis61 Strat-Talker

Personally - and I hasten to add I am a Clapton fan, own a lot of his music, seen him play many times - I think the tone sucks.

8. John Brown

John Brown Strat-O-Master

To me, it's like an on board overdrive.

9. mr.slave

mr.slave Strat-O-Master

heres the hassle i went to get get the mid boost into my 57 avri.
    never looked back, although now i want to do something with my '54 fsr and theres no way im chopping wood out ou that baby, so im gonna opt for a less intrusive non fender product, which, im reliably informed is just as good

mid boost rear.jpg

routiing mid boost.jpg

front routing.jpg

mid boost pickguard.jpg

10. geetar

geetar Strat-O-Master

woah!

did that take much work. i thought you can fit it in under the pots if you snip off a corner!?

11. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

12. Electgumbo

Dude! I got mine to fit under the controls with out all that widdlin' away at the guitar. The battery is under there too.

13. Electgumbo

Oh I should add it's not pretty but it is in there.... No pictures Please!

14. rickyp

rickyp Senior Stratmaster

Hmm. This post has me thinking. I have a mexican strat that I fitted with Vintage noiseless pickups, but with my HR deville, I can't get that "Layla" tone. I tried it on my Mustang I amp with the gain up on the '57 Deluxe amp modeling, and it hit the mark. I was wondering if I could get the "Layla" tone on my HR Deville if I installed a mid boost kit. Not wanting to chisel away at the body though.

15. takis61

takis61 Strat-Talker

Dude, he didn't HAVE the mid-boost when he did Layla, he used Brownie, a '50s stock Strat, probably with Fender amps.

16. Electgumbo

Was Brownie a stock strat? It thought is was one of those guitars he switched around parts on like his Blackie. But then again if it's all Fender parts then I guess it would still be stock?

17. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

I was looking at Acme yesterday and was surprised to see the Mid Boost kit for sale for less than $80!

18. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

I haven't ever played the Clapton Strat, but I would think that as long as you didn't have a set up pickups with crazy high mids or a mid-heavy sounding amp you would be fine.

I almost think that the mid-boost would be perfect with a set of Scooped Mids pups and a Fender Amp.

19. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

Dude, go play one...but you kinda gotta play one somewhere you can let an amp breath.
    If its not a master volume amp, and youre playing low volume...the mid boost will just boost the volume up. You gotta dial in to the point of break up for it to be effective.
    But it doesnt really matter if its a mid heavy amp like a Blues Jr or a scooped one like a PRRI or bass heavy amp like a Deville...especially with the TBX. Its actually quite fun to push the amp into fuzzy bassy goodness.

20. FlamemapleEC

FlamemapleEC Strat-Talk Member

I own two Clapton Strats and I find that I rarely use the mid boost. It's neat if you like to play a guitar that sounds like a cross between a Strat and a Les Paul. Seems to thicken the tone and increase the volume. I play through a 1970 Fender Super Reverb (no master volume) so the effect may be different on other amps.

21. rickyp

rickyp Senior Stratmaster

I've been contemplating doing the clapton mid-boost and tbx tone control to one of my MIM strats. I have the vintage noiseless pickups in there, and they sound great, but a bit of a boost when the amp is driven would be awesome.

Just for the sake of a picture...
    [​IMG]

I bought it wanting it to be a clapton-ish strat. Mainly the pickups and the color. I'm a rosewood fretboard guy, so I couldn't make it a full on Clapton copy. Plus, I despise single ply pickguards.