Join Strat-Talk Today

Clapton sound compared to American Elite (Both have SSS Noiseless)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Numbercruncher, Feb 3, 2019.

1. jamieorc

jamieorc Strat-Talk Member

I played one of each last year in a shop and loved them both. They sounded quite different. Partly, this is due to the active electronics in the Clapton and also the different pickups. I really liked the mid-boost on the Clapton. Their necks were my two favorite of about 10 or more Strats I tried that day, even though one is C-to-D and the other a soft V. I didn't like the little frets on the Clapton. I'd buy one of those Elites in a second. Fantastic, sensible, modern updates to a classic guitar. You can always retrofit pickups and electronics. Get which one you like the best and do that, if needed.

Numbercruncher likes this.
  2. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

Yeah but that is what I was getting at. How much of the Elite sound is retained with the Clapton Electronics? If one dials back the boost do they get the same sound as the Elite with the N4 or will it still sound different. In other words and I know I am not explaining this well, can an EC model cover every tone an Elite produces or does it always have it's own unique sound.

No worries as it is too late now.

NC

3. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

You’ll be about the only one who knows! I’m curious to know myself. The N4 and Vintage Noiseless PUPs definitely are voiced differently. But again you can’t go wrong with either.

4. sandgren

sandgren Strat-Talker

As I remember when trying out the EC strats, it must be about 30 years ago, it was not possible to bypass the electronics, as to get an original strat sound. I don't know if that's still the case. If not possible, I'd think it's a bit silly - but perhaps there is a limit in the way it's built.

5. EC Strat-boy

That’s still the case. I read where some guys did a on/off switch to turn off the mid boost but it caused a significant drop in signal strength and volume. Rendered it unusable with it off. Would’ve required other mods to the pots to make it work and they were going down a rabbit hole.

6. EC Strat-boy

That’s still the case. I read where some guys did a on/off switch to turn off the mid boost but it caused a significant drop in signal strength and volume. Rendered it unusable with it off. Would’ve required other mods to the pots to make it work and they were going down a rabbit hole.

7. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Years ago I noticed that my 50’s Road Worn had a “Blackie” vibe to it. I remembered I had a EC booster kit in my parts bin. So I installed it. It sounded pretty darn good with the Tex Mex pickups but I eventually installed the Noiseless pickups to complete the package. It sounds identical to EC Strats except for some reason mine is slightly louder in side by side tests. I guess I don’t need a real one. Mine is real enough for me. B4F1CA9A-3C35-471F-A521-79C3D03363BE.jpeg 2C1A9EFA-0031-4932-8061-20AC823FF747.jpeg

8. EC Strat-boy

That is a GIGANTIC amp dude ! Damn!

Electgumbo likes this.
  9. Electgumbo

@EC Strat-boy
    :) Yeah I guess... Marshall Bluesbreaker RI...pretty awesome :cool:

guitarface likes this.
  10. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Yes, the vintage noisless are not very popular on their own, but the boost is what makes them.
    If you disengage the boost you are unlikely to enjoy the sound much.

11. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey Strat-Talker

Electgumbo - Love that Bluesbreaker amp. I bet it sounds awesome!! :thumb:

Electgumbo likes this.
  12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Clapton could get his sound out of an Elite, or a $90 Squier for that matter.

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Not according to Fender (or my ears), "The Mid Boost knob adjusts gain from 0 dB (no boost) to 25 dB (for killer mids)."

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Canada Strat-Talk Supporter

That's not true, that would mean that when the boost knob is at 0, it should sound like any other Strat and not be louder / more compress....however it is!

Clapton first used the boost system from the 1980s Elite Strat.....which was 0 to 12dB.....but he asked them to double it....so they modified the circuit board to go from 12 to 25dB......

Electgumbo likes this.
  15. omahaaudio

You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with Fender.
    Up to you.

16. Electgumbo

@omahaaudio

@Guitarmageddon is correct. The boost is always engaged even at 0 on the EC Strat. For a short time there was a toggle switch which disabled the boost completely but Clapton told Fender “I never turn it off” so Fender removed the switch leaving the circuit engaged all the time. I know mine is much louder then my normal Strats even with the boost at zero.

17. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Those Claptons with that switch are exceedingly rare - they also had 21-fret necks. It might be "urban legend" but I've heard that it was essentially a "pre-production test run" and a few of them made it out of the factory before Eric called them up and said "I never turn it off" and "I want 22 frets on it now".

Electgumbo likes this.
  18. Electgumbo

@John C

Yep... they always showed a picture of the 7Up Green one with a switch.

19. omahaaudio

"@Guitarmageddon is correct. The boost is always engaged even at 0 on the EC Strat. For a short time there was a toggle switch which disabled the boost completely but Clapton told Fender “I never turn it off” so Fender removed the switch leaving the circuit engaged all the time."

Again, you're not arguing with me, you're arguing with Fender.
    They make the thing, I do not.

Electgumbo likes this.
  20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Canada Strat-Talk Supporter

You said your ears tell you the boost is at 0 when the knob is at 0....meaning to you it doesn't sound any different than a non-active Strat......so we ARE arguing with you.....

I know for a fact when I have an amp set nicely for my non active Strat, then I change to the Clapton with the boost at 0....it's WAY louder....

Electgumbo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.