Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

classic vibe 50s pickups?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by dazco, Oct 5, 2017.

1. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    I have one of those white 50's CV's with the gold aluminum guard (tho thats gone and in it's place parchment) and i was wondering what pickups are in it. The fender site i think mentions A3, so i looked at the tonerider site and the safaris are A3 plus the DCR is close. So is that what they are? I'm just curious, as i'm putting a new set in today but i'm curious about them and i may even end up putting the bridge back in if the new bridge doesn't sound as good. I really like the bridge but dislike the middle and neck quite a bit. They sound good with distortion but a bit dull cleaner. Anyways, just curious about this. The safari set looks to be thier only A3 so if the CV has A3 as i believe the fender site said i guess they must be safaris. Or a version thereof. As i understand it tonerider supplies squier with sets that are close to one of thier stock sets but not exactly the same.

2. hamfisted

hamfisted Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2014
    Texas
    I'm pretty sure they are ToneRider's

3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Yes, these. :thumb:

4. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2014
    Dorset, England
    Tonerider AlNiCo iii's.

5. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    And they sound great!

savofenno and johnnymg like this.

6. aussieblues

aussieblues Strat-Talk Member

Apr 1, 2017
    australia
    They are Tonerider safaries in 50's classic vibe strats

savofenno likes this.

7. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Well, to me they sounded rather mediocre, and VERY different than A5 strat pickups. When i replaced them with a A5 tex mex set it was a huge improvement to my ear. I just don't think A5 sounds right in a strat, and the fact that the vast majority of strat pickups are A5 i think that says i'm probably not alone in that. The A3 bridge pickup wasn't bad, allthough the tex mex A5 in there now is much better.

8. aussieblues

Apr 1, 2017
    australia
    worst pickups in a strat i reckon are tex mex, brittle thin and sound no where as good as the tonerider safari's

Thrup'ny Bit and Viking like this.

9. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Then i take it you believe your ear is better then the majority? Thats basically what u r saying because tex mex are more popular than toneriders by far and get a lot more raves. Most like them far more then texas specials too. If you recon they are thin and brittle you either need a better amp or lessons in how to set things.

savofenno likes this.

10. aussieblues

Apr 1, 2017
    australia
    your reading the wrong reviews , they are far the worst pickup than texas specials or toneriders, i have tried many pickups in strats and tex mex are the worst!!! they lasted 3 days in my strat, and couldnt wait to change them, IMHO i really hated them, but everyone to there own tastes

11. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    No, it;s not me. I have van zandts in my other strat and tried them in my CV. They're better, but it's not huge. And by the way, if you didn't keep the TM's in long as u suggested thats your first mistake. I didn't think much of them at first but soon came to like them a lot more once i adjusted them and played them a bit. And you will be hard pressed to find a single person who won't tell you VZ's are some of the very best strat pups made. ther IS a huge difference between the VZ and the sufaris. Go to the gear page and ask. I did, and most people swore by them which is what got me to try them. On the other hand i have yet to see anyone buy safaris and rave out them there. Also, not a single person said the texas specials were as good or better and most everyone said the TM;s are much better. TGP is the biggest gear site on the web with a huge member base of extremely good and experienced players. Myself i;ve been playing 1/2 century and spent the majority of that gigging regularly so i know what good strat tone is and you certainly will never convince me that the sufaris are as good as TX or for that matter good period. They're acceptable at best. I'll leave it at that rather than argue more because it's obvious to me you don't share the same idea of what good strat tone is as i do.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It might make this discussion about pickups a lot less acrimonious if people stopped stating their opinions as facts! Texas Specials & Tex-Mex pickups are both controversial in the sense that they provoke strong opinions - some people love them & some people hate them. But telling other people that they are "wrong", as has happened in this thread, is all rather pointless. And likely to provoke arguments.

I'm not a big fan of either pickup, but if some people can get decent sounds out of them in a way that I can't, good luck to them! Statements like "i know what good strat tone is" are absurd as everyone has their own opinion about what good Strat tone is!

There is nothing quite as personal as choice of pickups.

Wayne D., Viking, Del1 and 2 others like this.

13. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK

Exactly what I was going to say, it is all about what sounds good to you. End of story.

Viking and Textele like this.

14. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Yeah, no need to argue over "subjective" things like pickups like your opinions are fact.

Tex-Mex and Toneriders are both very usable and competent pickups.

Just comes down to what you want to hear. And there are a whole lot more variables in the equation, with the amp being probably being the largest. Then effects chain, and so on.....

Oh, and the player.

Lets not forget the player and playing styles.

Viking and banjaxed like this.

15. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Trust me, if anyone gets the subjective aspect i sure do because i see it all the time. But my point is that its ridiculous to call them "by far the worse pickup" when IN FACT it is a very popular pickup that far more people rave about than those safaris. Thats NOT subjective, it's a fact. Thats what i was trying to convey. Trying to make a popular pickup sound like total crap just rubs me the wrong way because that sounds like someone totally ignoring the numbers and feeling his own evaluation makes those insignificant. You can't argue the virtues of a pickup by your own opinion only, but stats don't lie. If a pickup by overwhelming general consensus is crap, you could then argue that it's no longer totally subjective and visa versa. The worse gear on earth will always have a small percentage of users that swear by it. But at some point you can't ignore the numbers.

16. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I have two 96 (pre JLV signature) Tex Mex strats. The two guitars sound different. Especially now, with a 500k pot and humbucker in one, they sound very different. I think they're both very usable.
    The stock guitar is not overly hot and not shrill or thin. Last night at rehearsal I was again amazed at how Big sounding and how thick the neck pickup, and even the middle pickup, sounded.
    I generally like a little grit, but both guitars can also get clean.
    I don't doubt there are better pups, and other preferences...but don't tell me that they suck. I get genuine compliments my strats sounder aLL the time.
    Speaker, pre-amp, amp, and most importantly the player make a Huge difference.

Getting back in line with this thread, sort of, I've never played a CV Strat, but the Tone rider pups in the white CV 50s Tele are really good sounding IMO.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Viking likes this.

17. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    This post would have been an awful lot better if you had avoided the words "FACT" "crap" & "worse". It's hard to take anyone seriously when they are so argumentative & dogmatic.

Try not doing that.

jimnh and duzie like this.

18. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    When I had a JV Strat I was impressed at how the Tex Mex pickups were both rich and Stratty at the same time. I set them pretty low and didn't push the magnets flush with the cover like many folks do. I found them versatile and very responsive to both volume and tone controls.

Tone is the sum of many parts and variables. I'm sure that any given set of pickups will sound fine on one guitar and bad in another.

19. telebluesman67

telebluesman67 New Member!

Oct 29, 2017
    West Virginia
    I am also a strong believer in when it comes to tone there are too many variables to determine whether any one of the variables is good or bad in the entire tone chain to any one person's ears.

As what has already been stated there is the amplifier , the speakers in the amplifier or the cabinet ,there is the effects chain, there is a possible preamplifier, there is even to a much lesser degree the cords involved and most importantly the player and how he or she attacks the strings and the Dynamics they use and they're playing style and then the type of music that they're playing and how that particular pickup or anything else in the sound chain fits that particular kind of music.

The tone argument should never be about any one element is better than the same element made by someone else or some other composition.

The argument should actually become just a sharing of any one particular players taste and however a particular element in the sound chain works for their particular style of music or style of play. At least in my humble opinion

ultra80096 likes this.

20. ultra80096

ultra80096 Strat-Talk Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Iowa
    I have a set of these Classic Vibe 50's pickups I bought used that I installed in a SX Strat copy. I really like them! I also have a '97 US G&L Legacy with A5's, and a G&L Tribute legacy also with A5's. All sound good, but the A3's are really sweet & bell like. Really nice change of sound.