Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

classic vibe 50s pickups?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by dazco, Oct 5, 2017.

1. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    wire wrapped around a bobbin' with magnits in it

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The heck you can't. When it comes to pickups, and my tone, then my opinion is the only one that matters. I do not decide what I like based on stats.

Pickups are all about tone, and there is nothing about tone that is not subjective. Nothing. No matter how many "facts" you want to throw out there.

3. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    No, i DO get it and i DO agree with you. My point is NOT that my idea of tone is IT. What i meant was that in all my years i have watched the world of guitar players and listened to what they say about thier likes and dislikes and listened to thier sound and have formed what i know is indeed a general consensus of what people consider great strat tone and what they don't like. Thats not to say there aren't exceptions, of course there are. But if i had to pick a set that i believe will sound like what i have generally heard from the worlds best players and what i hear all players say when they discuss tone, those A3 toneriders just don't sound anything like that. I DO know how subjective pickups are and i'm not stupid enough to suggest no one will or should like those pickups. I'm just suggesting that from 50 years of listening to what players seem to prefer in strat tone and what i hear in thier sound, those pickups sound very much the opposite from that. So to me THAT is not subjective the same way i can say that there are more strat players than tele. Doesnt mean there are no tele players or that no one likes them, but thats a fact. It's also a fact that what I at least have seen and heard in all my years FROM OTHERS, not me, does not match what comes out of those pickups. That said, they aren't hideous and in fact i like them i some ways, but the same way i like certain effects.....only now and then. I would not want then as my main sound and from what i've heard and seen over the years niether would most strat players.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Ok, I get what you're saying. :thumb:

5. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    I'm not sure what went into bashing the Tex Mex pickups or the Toneriders (in the Classic Vibe 50s Squier). One of the Strats I regret selling was a MIM that I had Tex Mex pickups swapped in--they sound very "Stratty" and the bridge had a little extra heat that sounded good when driven. I also came within minutes of buying a Classic Vibe 50s Squier--that guitar just "rang" thru the amp--the pickups delivered a lot of chime. I think judging pickups is so completely driven by what YOU want a Strat to sound like.

Viking and aussieblues like this.

6. HotDan!

HotDan! Strat-Talker

Oct 21, 2013
    Reno
    I have the same one. The Toneriders are very good just...Well, kind of quiet. Installed vintage Fender bridge plate and saddles. Better but still not quite what I wanted. Tried a few different setups to no avail there. Changed out all of the internals...New pots, vintage caps, wiring...The works. Gained a bunch of volume but lost tone...Not good. So,,,Fender Tex-Mex set went in and tone went harsh. Put in a brass nut hoping to tame it a bit and it did but not enough. The point is (and I could go on but everyone gets it by now) it's the combination that provides your tone, your sound and your feel. Whaddaya mean block saddles have no place on a strat? Maybe for aesthetics reasons I'll agree but no other. It's really not even worth saying that this or that don't work in a Strat because it either can or can't with the right or wrong combinations of parts and pieces. It took a couple of years and a few tears on mine not to mention a few bucks but this one is a keeper and gets the most playing time among the three I own. I ended up with this in the build sheet and you can see it here:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/well-call-this-one-completed.325856/

I still have the Toneriders and the Tex-Mexs as well. Great pickups, just not good for this one...

rolandson likes this.

7. leevc5

leevc5 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 12, 2016
    ventura
    Best p'ups = Fralin Hot Strat set

8. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2014
    Dorset, England
    FACT: I love Tonerider pickups, however, others may have a different opinion, which is fine with me!:thumb:

Hal Nico and Paperback Rocker like this.

9. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    To anyone that didn't see what i said in another thread, i tried the stock A3 "toneriders" again and i now love the bridge pickup ! But i still cannot get into the neck and middle. It's strange but they sound very harsh and undefined, nothing like the bridge. So they came out (just the neck+middle) once again and the van zandts back in again. But the bridge pickup is staying and i'm actually happier with it than any pickup i have tried in recent history. I never disliked that one even at first, but the other 2 sounded so bad to me i i never gave the bridge a chance till this second chance i gave them. And i did so because i wasn't totally happy with the bridge tone with any other pickup and i recalled thinking the tonerider bridge tone wasn't bad. It's actually the strat bridge tone i have looked for forever. I'm just as puzzled as can be as to why the neck and middle are the polar opposites. Now i'm thinking maybe since they can be much closer to the strings i should have tried that. I had them where i set A5 pups in the neck and middle, not very close. So at a later date i may have to try them again and see if that could make a radical change. Doubt it but i need to eliminate the possibility so i don't wonder about it forever.

10. HotDan!

HotDan! Strat-Talker

Oct 21, 2013
    Reno
    You keep saying that about everything regarding pickups so okay, we get it. Now...I still have to say that what works in each opinion is what works in the the eyes of the originator. I happen to like tex mexs but they didn't work out for me or for my application. I'll say again for those of you not reading the posts. It really is a matter of how you chose to set up as well as the combinations of components.

ocean likes this.

11. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    that is because it is how I look at everything electric guitar-ish. all parts are down to a common denominator. the way one person hears a tone another may hear it differently. there are soooo many variables between one guitar, or amp, or pedal what have you that combinations are limitless.

I get what you are saying, but I just look at a part or piece as just one simple component that is part of the final picture, so to speak.

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's fine, but why do you feel the need to tell us that pickups are just

"wire wrapped around a bobbin' with magnits in it"?

We already know that.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017

13. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2014
    Dorset, England
    Tone is in the ear of the beholder.
    I fitted a CS69 into the neck position of an MIM Strat because I had heard good comments about them and also listened to the tone they produced as much as possible.
    I just didn't like the tone they produced in that guitar. It sounded tinny and harsh to my ear. However, perhaps in another guitar that pickup may have sounded good to my ear. At some stage I will try it in another guitar, but perhaps that shows the number of variables at play in different instruments. Just my humble opinion.

14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I found the same thing with the Custom 69s (sometimes also referred to as Custom Shop 69s). I found them tinny & harsh, I didn't like them at all. And yet they are very popular on here.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

15. Pukiman

Pukiman Strat-Talk Member

Mar 1, 2011
    London
    Why are you all arguing about pickups, Tonewood nutters would say it's all about the Wood and less to do with pickups or amplifiers.
    So by that statement. If you don't like the sound of your pickups then instead of swapping out the pup's, you should swap out the Body of wood. You should/must have a few different species of Tonewood in your box of spares to determine which sound best for you.

If you have the best Tonewood available, by installing the cheapest nastiest ceramic pickups then plugging into a cheap solid state and your sound will be equally as good as custom shop guitar plugged into high grade boutique amp, its True ! ....lol

Tone is in your Fingers and Wood, nothing to do with Pickups and Electrickery at all...

16. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    No, thats not it at all. Everything, every past makes a difference to one degree or another. But just because one may have a huge influence on the sound that doesn't mean no other part can. Yes, wood matters a lot. But great wood may sound great with most any pickup, that doesn't mean any pickup will make it sound as good as the next. They sound different and no matter how good the wood is the sound has to go thru a pickup into the amp, and that pickup is going to change the guitar's voice. If the wood is a fabulous piece thats just sounds fantastic and you put a pickup in it thats got a big mid spike and you had middy sounds, it's gonna sound bad to you. then theres output level.....if you hate high output you're not gonna like the guitar with high output pickups regardless of how good the wood is. It won't sound BAD, it will sound bad to YOU, So pickups are very important.

With wood however, if it sounds bad it's probably going to sound bad to most people and if it sounds good it'll likely sound good to most. Pickups are designed from one end of the spectrum to the other in freq response and output. Wood is much more subtle and generally a given species is going to sound very similar from one piece to the next. But there is a small percentage that will sound exceptionally good or bad, and a bad sounding piece is never going to sound good no matter what pickups you use. Much like a singer, wood has a certain voice that you can alter in some ways with pickups to tune it to your taste the same way a singer would choose a mic, but no matter what mic he picks or how he EQ's his voice, rod stewart will always be unmistakable as himself.

All the parts on a guitar matter, some to lesser degrees that some can't hear and some can. I hate to beat a dead horse because this is said a million times a day online, but the fact is a guitar is a system of parts and all of them infuence the tone to some degree or another. Wood and pickups are huge in that respect. So are bridges. But in general the wood sets the overall character of the guitars sound like a singer's voice and the pickups and bridge will fine tune that sound.

17. Pukiman

Pukiman Strat-Talk Member

Mar 1, 2011
    London
    INTERNET TIP #1:
    If you don't like the sound of your pickups then try coating them with Nitrocellulous lacquer to help them Breath better, it will revive your pickup and make it sound a little more Airy... True !

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Bluestrat83 likes this.

18. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

It just never gets old does it?

Ebidis, Thrup'ny Bit and johnnymg like this.

19. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    It doesn't. We both know however, that the only thing that matters is what the mounting screws are made of.

20. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

Surgical tube or springs?