Join Strat-Talk Today

Classic Vibe Tele Custom

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by BuffaloHound, Feb 3, 2019.

1. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

Howdy guys,

I’m looking to buy a Classic Vibe Custom Tele, I originally assumed I could pick one up used for $300-$350 or so. But the used market seems non-existent, which is a good sign, and a new one is $450 with a wait list according to Musician’s Friend (nothing available in a worse condition for a discount either).
    Used from Reverb.com is $430-$500 including shipping! Is anyone aware of one of these for sale “used” at a fair price on the inter-webs. I’m not even looking for a “sick deal” at this point, just a fair price.
    Are this instruments really in such high demand that people are selling used gear above new prices? Anyone have any recommendations for looking for a fair used price? I’ve been following my local CL for 8 months and never seen one.

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There's nothing collectable/rare about the CV teles.

A used one in mint condition should sell for about $325 albeit there probably aren't very many for sale. Anything 'used' sold on Reverb will like be high. You can get a new one for around $400 from SW if have a good rep.

I would go to SW and pick the one with best paint and weight. This is the no-brainer approach. Worst case scenario is you don't like it and it only costs you the shipping to return it.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...lassic-vibe-telecaster-custom-3-tone-sunburst

Omar and Stratoskater like this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I just ordered an open box Squier tele deluxe from MF. It was $319. The guy at MF assures me that if it comes with any problem other than the light pick scratches on the pickguard, as pictured, I can send it back and they will pay the return shipping. If that happens, I will just get a new one. It has full warranty, so I hope there are no problems.

The-Kid likes this.
  4. BuffaloHound

Yeah. So I’m not looking for Tele Deluxe. I’d like a CVC.

The-Kid likes this.
  5. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

Here in Canada a CV is $530 new. Used ones are $450. Not much of a deal. I think because they are known to be good for the $.

sp8ctre likes this.
  6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I got my CVC Tele from eBay about five years ago. It was "local collect only" which usually keeps the price low, & I grabbed it for only £200. It's worth every penny, great guitar. But it's very rare to see CVs sell for as little as this, they usually sell for nearer to £300 used. They're popular so they hold their value better than most other budget guitars.

Omar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Get a 15% discount on sweetwater, reverb or chicago music exchange.

Should be 400-450 after shipping.....

I mean for 50-70 bucks more...given the opportunity cost vs used IMO it would be prudent to buy new....

So buy new.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Canada Strat-Talk Supporter

the CVC 60s Tele is $600 new in Canada.....

9. BuffaloHound

Sounds like I can actually buy a guitar from Sam Ash for once. Thx guys.

10. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Um yeah.

I mean come on bro, its only 50-80 bucks for more for the new thing, be patient.

Buy new. Sounds like a good deal to me vs buying used.

Just saying.

If the price difference was 150$+ then yeah, I get it but in this case your far better off buying new.

Alot of used amps for example now only sell 25% lower than new or less AC15s for example sell on average for 500-550 used now after shipping or not even included....

New ones are 680.... 15% discount no tax online.....Its 578$....sure makes a hell of a lot of more sense to spend an extra 78 bucks vs buying a used one for 500$-550$.

Buying used right now in a lot of casses given a discount and in some cases not even including a discount does not make sense unless its a stupid good deal.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    3bolt79 likes this.
  11. BuffaloHound

Sweetwater has 3 for sale. All are listed at 7lbs 10oz, except for one at 7lbs 6oz. I’m guessing this is because glue weighs more than wood. This lighter model seems to hide the multi-piece body much better.
    Thoughts?

12. stratman323

You seem to be saying that the CVs are made from multiple pieces of wood, so they are mainly glue & therefore
    low quality. Could you justify this?

Fenders have always been made from multiple pieces of wood, even Custom Shop guitars. Sometimes the manufacturer doesn't bother to choose carefully the pieces of wood to go under a see through finish, & the worst offender for this crime is Fender Japan. I wish I had kept copies of the pics now, I have seen so many Fender Japan 62 Teles on eBay where the badly matched pieces of wood showed up like an eyesore under the sunburst finish. And yet we constantly read on here about the perfection of Fender Japan guitars and how there is nothing better. Hmm, well that varies....

In contrast, here is my CV. Sure it's more than one piece, but the wood has been carefully chosen to match. It's a real shame they only offered these in sunburst - white blonde would look so good with the rosewood board neck.

IMG_7802.JPG IMG_7810.JPG

amstratnut, Jeffl, Omar and 2 others like this.
  13. BuffaloHound

You’re working pretty hard here to put words in my mouth.

14. stratman323

OK, maybe i misunderstood. What did you mean?

15. BuffaloHound

Sweetwater lists the weighs of all the Classic Vibes they are selling. They all seem to be 7lbs 10oz, except one is 7lbs 6oz. I was guessing that this could be a 2 piece body instead of a 3+ piece body (since glue weighs more than wood). Although it could also simply be using wood that is less dense.
    I was looking for someone with experience on this, and asking if it being 4oz lighter was a good or bad thing generally speaking.

16. Guitarmageddon

It's differences in wood density.....not glue

Stratoskater likes this.
  17. BuffaloHound

Ok.
    Is denser wood desirable?

18. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Just buy the guitar man. You’re focusing on the wrong things. CVs are great guitars and you’ll enjoy it. All those little details? Absolutely PALE in comparison to your ability or inability to bring the instrument to life. Focus on THAT.

Pick the one you like and get it. You’ll be pleased. :thumb:

Grux, amstratnut, Keith268 and 8 others like this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

It has zero effect on sound, buy the one with the grain pattern you like best.....and don't obsess.....

amstratnut, Omar, stratman323 and 2 others like this.
  20. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Bingo! @BuffaloHound, Listen to Tony

amstratnut, Omar and fezz parka like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.