Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Coil splitting with 1 toggle switch?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JohnnyShoulders, May 7, 2016.

1. JohnnyShoulders

JohnnyShoulders Strat-Talker

May 22, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    I recently assembled my dream partscaster. It has two Duncan humbuckers, both 4 conductor. I set it up with a 3 way blade switch, a master tone, a master volume, and a 2 way toggle for cool splitting the pickups (one position for full buckers, one position for split singles). I am a caveman, so I brought it to my local tech for wiring.

He told me that it's not possible to split both pickups with one 2 way toggle, and that it will need a 3 way toggle or a second 2 way toggle.

I've had several guitars that are dual humbuckers split by one push/pull tone knob, so it seems one toggle switch should be able to split both humbuckers, right? Am I on the wrong path? Again, I admittedly know nothing about wiring/electronics.

[​IMG]

2. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Oct 22, 2009
    New Joisey!
    He's wrong. You can easily do it with a single mini-toggle switch (or a push/pull switched pot). As long as the switch is dpdt (which will have 6 lugs). That's a very common switch.

If you're a caveman, then your tech is a gorilla. Maybe a lungfish.

simoncroft likes this.
  3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You're not going to get a much better reply than this! :D

rabbithowls and tatercaster like this.
  4. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

So how is it one gets called a Geetar Tech anyway ? Some type of certificate ?

[​IMG]

tatercaster likes this.
  5. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
  6. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    Here is a schematic to print and take with you, from Phostenix's site. Drawn here with a push/pull pot but this could be a toggle switch (but notice how this switch is designed with basically two single toggles attached side-by-side with one lever). You could wire it up so the outside coils are selected instead of the inner or any combination.

[​IMG]

8. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Oct 22, 2009
    New Joisey!
    Simon, a spdt (or really just a spst) will split ONE pickup. But the OP wants to be able to split BOTH pickups simultaneously with a single switch. He needs a dpdt.

@JohnnyShoulders , you said you want to have master vol/master tone. Do you want to use the empty position for the 3rd pot for the toggle switch?

Anyway, this is the diagram you need. I have no idea why it says "2 push/pulls" there is only one. If you prefer a separate toggle switch instead of a push/pull, it should be wired and will work the same. NOTE that this diagram is specific to the Duncan color codes. It is wired to have the split neck/bridge position also be a noise-canceling pair. That's cool but not necessary. What pickups have you got, by the way?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  9. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

One DPDT switch can split 2 pickups (one each side). I actually use a Fender S1 switch to do this on my HH Music Man.

10. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
  11. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Oct 22, 2009
    New Joisey!
    Do you mean the diagram that the OP has in post #1?

It does work. It's a clever way to send the THREE split wires to ground using a dpdt push/pull switch (because that's the only kind they make!) without jumpering any of them together. It uses one side of the 5-way switch to select which split wire (neck or bridge) to send to one side of the dpdt toggle.

12. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England

Yes, that was it Fumbler. Thank you for explaining it, because I just couldn't see it. I hope I haven't confused the OP too much. (Message to self: don't be too quick to help others when you have an IT problem of your own to resolve...)

fumbler and rabbithowls like this.
  13. JohnnyShoulders

JohnnyShoulders Strat-Talker

May 22, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    So it turns out I had an SPDT switch instead of s DPDT switch, so it was my bonehead mistake. I'm going to get a DPDT switch and I should be able to do what I want. Thanks for all the help, guys!

fumbler and simoncroft like this.