Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

combo as a head, custom cabinet?

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by cappei, Jan 3, 2018.

1. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    Can I use an old marshall amp of 15 watts as a head, to a custom built cabinet?

I was also thinking, can I get just one of these things

https://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-451727675-parlante-profesional-pasivo-600-watts-_JM

let's say I take the speaker out (or maybe I just use the speaker as it comes from factory), put it in a wood cabinet and use the small combo as a head? ... is that possible?

Im a total noob to amps

greetings and love to ya'll

2. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    If you amp has a speaker out you can connect it to another cab, but make sure the impediance match. Some amps have speaker out that’ll automatic bypass the built in speaker and other you can run in series. But first of why would you wanna move the same speaker from the combo in to a different cab assuming your Marshall is a 15w combo amp.

3. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    Not the speaker of the amp, just using a bigger speaker, you know? like those people use for karaoke and stuff. Like, taking a big ass random speaker and use the combo as a head for it

4. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    I can’t see why not just make sure the impediance is correct so you won’t burn the amp of blow the speaker. I’ve done it with the little vox mv50 through and old aura tone speaker.

It might sound off as guitar amp speaker are made specifically to enhance certain frequencies for guitar whereas a karaoke speaker is made for a whole other ballgame.

5. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes and no. Yes, you can definitely convert the combo into a head. That will provide additional flexibility regarding speaker configurations and some (like me) would rather carry two smaller and lighter pieces rather than one heavy one.

No, you can’t use a “random” speaker. I don’t know which Marshall amp you plan to convert but you need to use a speaker that has the correct impedance for your amp. In the world of random, several of the outcomes are destructive.

6. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Match the impedance and you should have no worries.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

8. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    Ajax, Canada
    I did something like you're thinking of.

I have a PRRI combo (15 watts all tube with a 10" Fender spkr). It sounds great for clean to mild break up & it's nice & light (35 lbs).

I spotted a Crate head (Crate V30) in a music store (30 watts all tube - about 20 lbs).

The Crate also has two channels & a foot switch. The store had a matching Crate cab with one 12" Crate spkr. (about 30 lbs weight).

I bought both, but discovered I much preferred the sound of the Fender spkr in my PRRI.

I just happened to have a 12" Fender spkr from a Fender HRRD combo lying around on my "Parts" shelves. So I replaced the Crate spkr with that.

Much better sound with the Fender spkr!

Now I take the PRRI combo to small gigs & the Crate head/separate Cab to larger gigs where I need more power & channel switching breakup. It's easy to carry using both hands (plus an extra trip to get the guitar).

Who says separate Spkr Cabs have to have either 2 or 4 spkrs? One spkr works just fine if it's well matched to the head you're using.

Tone Guru likes this.

9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I would never say that. ;)

My favourite cab right now is a MusicMan 1x12" open back with an EV SRO coffee can.
    About the size of a Deluxe Reverb, maybe just a tad bigger.
    I would not hesitate to stick my Champ on there (8 Ohm output transformer).
    Normally it's paired with a 50RD 50W head.
    It also works with most other amps I have.
    I also have a 1x10" cab.

As far as cabs with multiple speakers, I have a 2x12" closed back with a pair of EVMs for when I need big guns.
    It also can double as a bass guitar cab.
    No 4x12s here, sorry ... :p