Join Strat-Talk Today

Composite Acoustics

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by FFGreen, Oct 8, 2018.

1. FFGreen

FFGreen Strat-Talker

Has anyone played or owned the brand name 'Composite Acoustics,' guitar. I would love a guitar not vulnerable to weather/humidity changes.

abnormaltoy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

My nephew was friends with one of the founders of CA, in Lafayette. He had the 000001 prototype at his house for some reason, and I got to play it.

I tried to talk him into letting me abscond with it for safekeeping, and split the proceeds (if any) later.

I was quite impressed with it’s tone. It sure didn’t sound like carbon fiber.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

I didn’t realize that Peavey had bought Composite Acoustics out!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes. I did a Canadian tour using a Cargo model, and it was INCREDIBLE. The overtones were wonderful, the tuning stability was out of SIGHT, and it sounded totally awesome unplugged or plugged in. Just a WONDERFUL guitar.

I sold it after that tour but wish I hadn’t. I’d like another one.

5. FFGreen

FFGreen Strat-Talker

TSims1,
    The Cargo , the smaller model, correct? If so, you found it provided the wonderful sound of a larger one?

6. StevieMar

StevieMar Strat-Talk Member

Yes. I have both a Cargo and an OX. Both great instruments.

7. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master

I was completely unaware of carbon fiber acoustic guitars until this (oops - last) year. Now it’s all I own. There are a few brands out there - Peavy (who bought CA), McPherson, Rainsong, Emerald - there are one or two others I’m less familiar with. I learned about them and researched them on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, which has a subforum for carbon fiber. I have a couple of Emeralds, which are made in Ireland and only sold direct now. Amazing guitars. I’m never going back to wood - got rid of all of my room and case humidifiers - it’s liberating and they sound great. CA still makes fine guitars but you should check out more than one brand / model...

-Ray

8. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Why has this same thread appeared twice?

9. syncopa

syncopa Strat-Talker

So, I assume all here who have responded like the tone of composite acoustics? I play Parker Fly guitars and they took me a little to get used to. They do have a "cyborg" type tone to them when going from a normal wood S-type guitar, but you do get used to it. I also have a Parker P-6EB which is a small box acoustic that is awesome if you control yourself, otherwise it does tend to compress. I am currently looking for an 0 or 00 size acoustic, would anyone suggest a composite in this size?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.