Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Compressor Pedals

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by John Mayer, Dec 27, 2017.

Best Compressor Pedal?

1. Keeley Comp Plus

2. Barber Tone Press

3. MXR Custom Comp

4. Wampler Ego

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. John Mayer

John Mayer Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2017
    London, UK
    Hey guys,
    I'm new around here and this is my first thread so please be gentle :eek:.

I've been thinking about getting a new compressor pedal because my current Boss CS-3 really doesn't make the cut for me and it's too 'squashy' so I hardly use it. But that's besides the point, so I have cut it down to four potential new pedals:

Keeley Compressor Plus
    Barber Tone Press
    MXR Custom Comp
    Wampler Ego

Just looking for some opinions on these pedals and past experiences with them etc. I am also open minded to other pedals that you lot might think are better but please don't recommend things like the diamond or empress (too big for pedal board since the pedal is for a metro 16 pedal train). And not looking to spend over £200 (270 USD).

Cheers,
    Jack (or John Mayer ;)).

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Barber is my fav. The keeley is good too. The key will be to get one with an attack control. This helps get some of the attack back and make it not so squishy. My fav overall however is the Way Huge Saffron Squeeze. Great pedals and less than $150 I believe. I got mine used for $85.

3. John Mayer

Oct 16, 2017
    London, UK
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the way huge saffron squeeze.

4. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    Only one I've ever used is the Xotic SP Compressor. No complaints. Love the blend knob. Got it for $90

5. John Mayer

Oct 16, 2017
    London, UK
    wow $90 is a steal! lucky, in the UK new xotic sp compressors are $224 (USD) and about $150 used.

6. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    The Super Ego is great and pretty quiet for a compressor, it also does not color the tone, important if you play clean like i do (no overdrive or distortion, no pushing to breakup). I replaced my MXR with one, the MXR changed the tone, it was not bad but it was a change. I like the mini Super Ego. I am a sucker for mini pedals though. I use the compressor quite a bit in my country band. I used to have a BOSS but it was a bit noisy.

7. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    I got the Keeley Compressor Plus a couple of weeks ago and it's an awesome pedal for it's price range. You can adjust it to be subtle or dial it in for a little squish if you wish. I'm very pleased with it.

I've heard nothing but great things about both versions of the Ego, but have yet to try one.

Another great option is the MXR Studio Compressor. It is a fantastic pedal with a multitude of options. I use one on my larger board and can't recommend it enough. Bought it last year to replace my CS-3 then bought the Keeley to replace the very same CS-3 on my smaller board.

John Mayer likes this.

8. aus_kez

aus_kez Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Australia
    I’ve got a T-Rex comp nova and I love it, almost my fav pedal, I run it after the overdrive and it focuses and sweetens the tone while still giving plenty of cut

9. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    only used the xp and the dyna comp... love em both

10. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    I used a block logo DynaComp for 20 years. Great pedal.

amagras and Bob the builder like this.

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I use a Joyo. It is green. It has a scorpion on it. What the hell does a scorpion have to do with compression? They go for 38 bucks but I need to get another because my son takes mine.

Good luck.

amagras and Uncle Mui like this.

12. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The anti cork-sniffer option might be a Joyo Dynamic comp. I call it a 'compressor-lite'. Tastes great and it's less filling.

Uncle Mui likes this.

13. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, that's the green one. With the scorpion.

johnnymg likes this.

14. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Personally, and since I think a Dyna Comp can do anything, I wouldn't pay more than $80 for a compressor pedal.

Bob the builder likes this.

15. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    I have a Keeley but I wouldn't be much help. I rarely use my peddles except for my delay peddle.

16. NerNer

NerNer Strat-Talk Member

Sep 22, 2017
    New York
    The MXR Custom Comp has been great for me. It's the only compression pedal I own so I can't say how it compares the other options...I can say it has given me no reason to replace it.

17. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    Got a few, BOSS cs3, a joyo and an MXR dyna comp.
    edit: forgot I also have a dano surf and turf. also lives in a box on a shelf.

All very different really and it's the MXR that lives on my board

fezz parka likes this.

18. chuck_zc

chuck_zc Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2013
    NEWFOUNDLAND, CANADA
    I've tried a few but the one I use now is the Pigtronix Philosopher's Rock. Doesn't kill your high end or get super squashy if you don't want it to. Also has a "grit" switch which throws a germanium clipping diode into the mix. Killer comp at 18 volt.

19. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    If you are in need of an "always-on-pedal" I'd go for the Barber tonepress with that blend knob!

Stratoskater and amagras like this.

20. John Mayer

Oct 16, 2017
    London, UK
    Yeah I forgot to mention that it will be (most of the time) an always on pedal