Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Compressors Explained

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by hellaGNARLY, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    Rastus likes this.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a compression pedal but I never use it...'cause my son is always using it practicing his Flea licks on bass.

D

greggr107 likes this.

3. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    I only ever use a compressor for acoustic playing to even out the strumming dynamics. 20 years ago an engineer would only put a compressor on a guitar if the guy couldn't play evenly, now it is used as musical effect. It is possible to get great sounds without a compressor, including long sustains.

If you think about great players over the years, almost none would have used a compressor, nowadays it is almost expected.

4. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

I've always glossed over those, not being as 'sexy' as other pedals like distortion, but you've convinced me to try one out.

5. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Late to the party. I don't know what took me so long... I just decided to spend a couple of hours with a compressor. Nothing fancy just a Boss Cs,

Why didn't anyone tell me? compressors are like a super power to me. I feel like I'm cheating. What a godsend.

6. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    I have a cheap Behringer comp pedal, and a Line 6 constrictor, ("stereo" pedal chain) and I use SoundForge after I "finish" ,
    usually with their "wave hammer". I don't know much, but the sustaining setting on the two pedals really
    makes the EBow sing, and with other pedals in the chains (again, I don't know what I'm doing or how I'm
    getting what I'm getting half the time) I'm getting lots of great synth-like timbres . The downside for me
    is that with the highest sustain and treble settings (the latter to help compensate for Pedal Soup Midrange
    Mud) there's the most noise , so it's a constant tweaking as I piddle around.

alderre likes this.

7. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    I have one and use it sparingly. Mainly cause I am playing at lower volumes and you don't get any natural tube amp compression and volume guitar amp-to-guitar feedback. So adding a compressor can help with the guitar not feeling "plinky" on low volumes.

Caution is using it on too high a setting cause it'll make the guitar sound like a wet noodle.

8. SkylineUK

SkylineUK Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2015
    England
    I bought a TC Electronic Hyper Gravity after reading so much about how a compressor was virtually essential for a pedal board, and studying all the various reviews and videos. I thought it might be useful for lead soloing, to correct any accidental 'heavy plucks'.
    I have to say that after a few hours trying to use it I gave up. I tried all sorts of settings and to be honest, almost concled that there was actually nothing inside the box. It could be that over the years I've developed a playing style that doesn't need compressing. I dunno.
    Anyway, I don't see the need to have my signal going through an additional pedal, so I'll be selling it. (Street price is £98 but I'd accept £70 - it's spanking new, boxed, etc.)

9. sandgren

sandgren New Member!

Oct 6, 2017
    Denmark
    I almost always use a compressor. It flattens out my mistakes, makes me believe I'm a better player than I am :D, and inspires me to try new things. I used the 'Analogman Bi-Comprossor' for years and thought it was pretty good. It actually contains two compressors, a Ross and an OS (Orange something), modified and optimized by Analogman. Then I bought the Boss GT100 multieffect pedal, which IMO includes an even better compressor. In comparison, I find the Bi-Comprossor to have a 'pumping' or 'squashing' effect'. You can fine-tune it, but then it doesn't compress so much. Then EHX introduced the 'Platform Compressor', and I watched the demo by Bill Ruppert. He has such tasteful playing that I think he can sell any guitar stuff just by his playing skills. Anyway, I bought the pedal, and it performs exactly like shown in the video. This one beats any other compressor I have tried. If you're looking for a compressor, have a look at the video.

10. playit

playit Strat-O-Master

Jul 14, 2014
    Germany
    I do not like the way a comp takes away my ability to play louder/harder or softer -
    it flats the signal .. I do not like that.
    Otherwise it makes good sustain and a squishy rythm sound - or is cool for chicken picking.
    I own a very good one but never use it - my style is all about dynamics.

11. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I made this a while ago, hope it helps

Stratoskater likes this.

12. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA

13. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    What about pedals? Any recommendations? Mine is a byang.

14. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    ^^^

15. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England

16. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Florida
    I have a DOD compressor that never picked up radio until I moved into my new place. Now, it's really obnoxious.

17. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia

That might be partly or mostly a factor of the new place... must be a little closer to a radio transmitter.

I had a buddy who lived within a couple miles of one of the stations in my hometown. He would get the station interference on some effects and long cable runs.

18. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.

19. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    amstratnut likes this.