Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Confused Trem Arms....

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by JohnV, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JohnV

JohnV New Member!

Nov 24, 2017
    dc
    First Post...
    So... some years back I finally went and got a player stand-in for my had-it-since-70-bought-used-cheap 64.(stories on request... briefly, the 64 was on a bench in pieces, stripped to bare wood and I bought it and have done things to it and just plain like it... it's hardly original... stained not sealed, schaller tuners, 2 PU failed and were rewound as needed, 5-way switch, mostly i grew up with it and nothing else feels right... decades will do that i guess)
    picked a 2006 Classic 60's mex. aside from oddly being a tad thicker than a Strat should be and way heavier, it's a workhorse. PU's were just fine but I put Lace hot golds on it to more match the tone of the 64. happy. not a picky guy.

MY POINT HERE: foolish Moi has managed to confuse the trem arms! the original is damned near immaculate so that doesn;t help.... one handle is SLIGHTLY yellowish... it's also a bit longer out to the handle, a bit taller coming out of the block, and has a different milder curve where it does the right-angle out of the block.

is this a topic covered ANYWHERE? A bit of googling turns up not much.
    thanks

2. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

I don't understand what you are asking?

I find many of the modern trem arms don't fit in the vintage blocks.

3. inra311

inra311 Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2008
    Europe
    The vintage blocks have a 10-32 US thread, many arms around have the European/Japanese M5 thread.
    However, the M5 is sometling like 98% the same as the US thread. Often you can use it nevertheless!!

This has an interesting side effect: It starts to turn easily, if you screw it in further, it becomes more and more difficult. This however can be useful to avoid the sloppy arms that never stay at the position you want them to!

If you want to try, do it your own risk. I certainly don't want you to destroy your vintage blocks...

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I don't understand the question.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    The guy has two tremolo arms, one imperial (64) and one metric (06) and can't tell the difference.