Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Considering A Sonic Blue (Aged) – Need Your Help

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jiffster, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Jiffster

Jiffster Strat-Talk Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Michigan
    I got my first strat (2017 American Professional SSS) about 1 year ago. Bought it new. I have absolutely fallen in LOVE with strats!

I’ve been a Floyd Rose style user since about 1984. Since getting my strat, I don’t even want to touch my Floyd.

I’ve got a pre-wired set of pickups and guard coming from Bare Knuckle Pickups and can’t wait to hear them in my new found love.

That being said, I want another one to add to the arsenal and I want to get some advice on what to get next.

I have been seriously considering an MJT kit build to my specs. However, I’ll have almost $1600 into that build and I know the potential downsides IF I ever did want to sell it.

That’s not my main concern though. Honestly, I’d like to get into it for less than $1600.

I really want a Sonic Blue lightly aged strat.

What strats should I consider looking at (used or new) that come in Sonic Blue that would be worth swapping pickups and sending it to MJT for light aging (assuming it’s not already)?

If it’s used and a good price, I would even consider a new bridge, pups and refret if needed if I can still get in at a lower price.

Quality and tone are key – not price. But if I can get the guitar I want for cheaper, why not!

A little undecided if I want a rosewood or maple board. Love maple boards but that sonic blue seems to pair real well with rosewood.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Fender didn't seem to use Sonic much for a long while but it's been more popular recently, the Classic Player 60s Strat came in a very nice faded Sonic, the new AV59s were made in Sonic for the first year or two.

But the CP60s is poly finished & if you want to age it, I guess you want a nitro finish? Apart from the AV59s, there were a few of the 62RIs made around 2001, I have one. But I think they might have just been a special order for Fender UK, so I heard.

IMG_5526.JPG

3. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    This was the AV59 I had, I sold it because I prefer the slightly slimmer neck on the 62RI.

IMG_8508.JPG

4. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

5. Rufustelestrat

or this classic players:
    IMG_5113.JPG

6. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

7. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2015
    London, England
    I get it. I'm currently building one.
    MJT kit will be good value and you'll get the look you want.
    The American Vintage and Custom Shop models would be targets and you should be able to get an AVRI for that money.
    I got a body made for me and nitro sprayed by Jon Crawford AKA Rexter, in the UK
    I'm keeping the build costs down by using all used other parts - a used Fender Classic Player rosewood neck, CS69 and SD SSL-5 pickups, Wudtone hardware and Gotoh tuners. So a real mix of parts. The parts are all ready and it will cost me about £700 in total.

Here's the body.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    4.jpg

Yves and StillAlive&Well like this.

8. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2015
    London, England
    Here's some of my reference eye candy....

_1720461.jpg
    0cbb7fd01ccfa7d3c9cdeeb5cd4ad9aba20767.jpg
    948971f88151ad4f762c8f65b4eb02ae642e83.jpg
    7684621540_feebc6d292_b.jpg
    cc62.jpg
    cc63.jpg
    grail.JPG
    IMG_8845_0.jpg

Jiffster likes this.

9. Rufustelestrat

Yes that was one of the 1st 46. Couple more photos to drool at. and one of the surf green 60s strat
    I always thought that the boards on this one looked particularly nice.

IMG_5969.JPG IMG_5988.JPG IMG_5967.JPG
    1060 Catalog.jpg

10. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    I don't have too much of a dog in this fight, but I'll add my own input. I wanted to do an MJT Esquire build, but determined that was gonna be way out of budget. So, wifey bought a $70 Pine Telecaster body off Ebay, (VERY nice quality wood, btw) and I bought a can of Sonic Blue paint from Re-ranch. Stained the body and sprayed a couple coats on it. Ordered a Musikraft neck per my specs for about $400. Then the rest of the hardware and pickup came to about $125. Turned out great and is aging well. Not exactly what you're after, I know, but just some suggestions to keep the price down.

20180410_132907.jpg