Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Convince me to buy a tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by GoldenEagle0308, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ccalda

ccalda Strat-O-Master

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    I had a 2010 am std telecaster and got rid of it.

Besides the bridge pickup being better than my strat's bridge, the strat had 4 more positions that sounded better.

Don't get me wrong, they are great guitars, but the middle and neck position were too fat and almost muffled for my taste.

2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    The 1998-2005 Fender Standard Telecaster is a great candidate with AlNico pickup that were changed to ceramic after 2005. You deserve those vintage frets, and AlNico pups! My 2000 is without a doubt the best guitar I've ever owned!

2009-Present Body color, and headstock logo were the only updates?
    2006-2008: Hot Tele ceramic pickups, medium jumbo frets, shielded body cavities.
    1998-2005: Alder body, vintage style frets.

3. Michael A.

Michael A. Strat-Talker

Oct 18, 2012
    Virginia
    I'm new to the Tele, having gotten my 93 MIK Fender (Squier Series) a few months ago. My guitar already had been converted to alnicos of unknown origin and vintage tuners. The plywood body is amazingly resonant, it sings even when unamplified. I replaced the 6 steel saddles with brass, but not sure if I can tell the difference. I like the modern bridge plate, avoiding the ashtray sides, which I think is kind of a cheap look. I'm not yet a fan of the bridge-only tone, but I do enjoy bridge and neck and neck alone.

What I don't like is the recessed jack socket on the edge of the body. It is too deep to use a right angle jack there, so you have to use a straight one and that makes it impossible to sit in a comfy chair for practice and noodling. I can see why Leo chose the front jack on the Strat, night and day better. I'm going to replace with a surface mount jack and then I can use a right angle there. At least stock, the Tele has that comfort disadvantage. So far, the lack of forearm and tummy cut contours has not been that noticeable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Mansonienne and circles like this.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Guitar looks great, Michael!

There's a machinist named Mark Rutters and he makes a cup that will work on the existing bore, where the plug mount is much closer to flush. This permits a right angle plug. Might be kind of pricey to go on a MIK Squier, though.

SG style flush jack mount is not a solution, IMO. The right angle plug sticks out just as much as your regular plug would stick out now.

There are Overlength right angle plugs out there, too.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

People laugh when I say this, but in some ways the American Standard Teles are not so much Teles as they are Hardtail forms of the American Standard Strat.

That heavy bridge, the type of dual action truss rod and slim C neck, the Tilt feature on the heel, the choice of tuning machine - these are all about something as much akin to a modern Strat as a traditional Tele.

If you REALLY want to break free and go for a True Tele, get one without these kinds of features. You might want to keep one of those. :D

stratman323 likes this.

6. Michael A.

Michael A. Strat-Talker

Oct 18, 2012
    Virginia

Boris,

Thanks for the kind words. The photo actually makes it look somewhat better than it is, hiding some paint damage and the lighting makes it look more like LPB than the actual turquoise-y color, like in this photo.

I'll look into the longer right angle plugs, so far none of mine have worked. I'll also look at Rutter's product. To date, I have about $125 in this guitar and am trying to keep it low budget.

Regarding the flush mount cover, I was also trying to hide considerable chipping as shown below and a jack hole that looks oversized already. Still think it is not the right way to go?

I do have a spare control plate, was thinking maybe I could put a jack in the end hole and drill a new hole to move the pots closer together. I've seen this done somewhere. Maybe get some skinnier knobs for finger clearance. But it will leave a big hole where the old one was!

PS: Is a Fender-labeled "Squier Series" considered to be a Squier and not a Fender? I know real Fenders were not MIK in 1993.

Michael

Attached Files:

7. Tele Savalas

Tele Savalas Strat-Talk Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Blacksburg, VA

8. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I love to switch to my tele. Makes coming back to my strat that much more enjoyable.

Get a tele, you’ll love it. It will make you realize what a great design the strat is.

Mansonienne likes this.

9. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member

I don't think about playing a tele until I read a post like this.

Bcorig likes this.

10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2012
    Southern California
    If you are a smart and educated guitar player..........you don't need no stinkin' convincing. And if you are ever in an altercation..........the tele is also the best equalizer. Just ask Keith Richards.

Mansonienne likes this.

11. arithon

arithon Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2012
    Milwaukee
    To the OP: No, a tele is quite different from a Strat and you are not getting something only slightly different from one. Anyway....Yeah just get one, just do it!

Every guitar player needs the holy trinity of the Tele, Strat, and Les Paul in their arsenal.

I have and had numerous models of all three and I'm constantly torn between which I like the best. They all have qualities unique unto themselves.

The Tele shines because of its simplicity, it is very pure. And the bridge pickup is just plain special and nothing else sounds like that.

Really though, I think if I had to pick just one for the deserted island rock band, it probably would be the Tele. It does it all!

If you need further proof:

circles likes this.

12. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    It took me a lot of years before trying a Tele and getting hooked.

You need both!!!!

Mansonienne likes this.

13. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France

14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    crashbelt and Mansonienne like this.

15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Well just look at this. A Tele is straight forward, no frills, let's get this place shaking type of guitar. How could this NOT inspire you to play ?

20161125_114850.jpg

crashbelt, Mansonienne and megsie181 like this.

16. megsie181

megsie181 New Member!

Jul 12, 2018
    Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
    I recently built my own tele-parts-caster.
    And I love it, so far it is my favourite.
    I really liked the antique burst body on the tele squier affinity, so I puchased the body, a new MIM maple fender neck and standard fender tuners, knobs, wiring kits, etc and some seymour duncan quater pounder pickups and I LOVE this thing. I wired it as a 4 way switch instead if the 3.
    The pickguard is black red black 3 ply. Honestly I am in love.
    All the parts I got from STATospherparts. Below is a photo after the build and pre strung.

There is nothing better than building something exactly the way you want it and loving the final product.

Attached Files:

Seymour Duncan and Stratoman10 like this.

17. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Strat-O-Master

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    If this doesn't do it, I give up...

18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-Talker

I think the last batch of recommendations is about three years late. The OP has made his decision loooooooooong ago.

But just for the record: “if you don’t have a toothbrush and you don’t have a telecaster you’re in trouble” (Jim Weider).

Mansonienne likes this.