Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Cost of a fret job!?!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by XxDBENCxX, Apr 18, 2011.

1. XxDBENCxX

XxDBENCxX Strat-Talker

What's a expectable amount for a maple neck fret replacement? On my '89 Squier, I'm using a Warmoth neck but I want to use it on another guitar. So I called my local guitar shop to see where I could go for a full fret job and they told me the only luthier in town charges $325 to replace the frets on a maple neck. Seriously! What should I pay assuming it's a typical job? I mean come on, 325 for a fret job. Pffft..

2. borismcorpheus

borismcorpheus Senior Stratmaster

I think every time I search this topic, most people recommend just going out and buying a new neck as the most economical option. Getting a new MIM neck and having it detailed probably costs less than most refret jobs.

3. lendryesky

lendryesky Strat-O-Master

That's about average. It's very labor intensive to replace frets, then crown/level them.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. lendryesky

lendryesky Strat-O-Master

Yeah, that's the route I'd take unless it's a higher end guitar, a collectible guitar, or if you REALLY like the neck on it.

6. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

It's my understanding that a maple fretboard is more difficult and expensive then a rosewood. Unless you want to do it yourself, I think I'd go with another neck.

7. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

250-300 sounds about right. remember they have to take the frets out, very carefully, as not to damage the wood or the finish. they always run into unexpected stuff as well. if you like the neck, is well worth it.

8. louis cyfer

a lot of rosewood is bound, and that brings on another can of issues. but if you want to keep the finish in tact, it is usually the case.

9. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Are you sure it needs refretted? Maybe it just needs leveled and crowned.

10. Krab

Krab ----------------------

In Houston it is between $300 and $350.

11. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

$325 is kinda high, but yeah, refrets are usually sky high expensive and it is often cheaper just to buy a new neck. A more typical price I've seen quoted is more like $200-$250, but there are lots of shops in the Austin area so there is some competiton, other places may be more expensive. I have heard of people just doing a partial refret at a cheaper price since a lot of times only a few frets (usually the first 3-5) in certain positions wear enough to need replacement, although most luthiers replace the first 7-9 frets to reduce the amount of leveling and dressing needed to flatten everything out. Some people, however, do not like partial refrets for various reasons. If only your first few frets show major wear (typically on the G-B-highE strings) then your neck may be a candidate for it. Price of a partial should be around 1/2 what a full refret would cost... so more like $80-$150. Of course you can often buy a decent used or an inexpensive new neck for even that kind of money.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

Louis is correct..... a refret on a maple fingerboard is hell..... to do it right the whole darn neck should be stripped and refinished, in fact, that would be eaiser that way than just carefully pulling the frets because there will inevitably be some finish chipping.... repairing those chips is more art than painting skills... and do it so that its the least bit noticeable and the conversation can turn very unpleasant...

A new neck is 150 – 400 a can of lacquer about 15… if you botch it, you can argue with the face staring you back from the mirror…. I repeat…. Refrets on a maple board can be hell….

Now… if you don’t give a hoot… and just want it playable…. Tell ‘im and the price may drop considerably, Chipped lacquer on some fingerboards cost extra… way extra…. ;)

Ron

13. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

I had a Les Paul with super-worn frets that I played that way for years.
    finally, I found a guy who said that he'd re-fret it for $100 if I bought
    the parts. I did, and I ended up with.. a $100 fret job.

the moral of this story? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

14. michaell

michaell Senior Stratmaster

Its a labor intensive job. Time consuming. Precision work.
    Depending where you are the price can be 200 - 300+ dollars easy.

If you get a hold of Dan Erliwines book called Guitar Repair you'll see what is involved.

15. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a rosewood telecaster neck done last year, total refret and re-radius done as well. Level, crown, etc etc. Was $300 which was a great price. Yes, could have looked at a new neck but I really like the neck (hard V-profile) so I thought I would get it done. It is very labour intensive.......

16. MelodicBends

MelodicBends Strat-Talker

Is there a possibility of ordering a neck that's almost exactly the same as the neck you have? Because the neck on my strat is really nice, and feels super-smooth, but if anything happened, I wouldn't want to pay $300 for a refret. Would supplying the shape of the neck profile and the finish used be enough?

17. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

um, you could also source the job out to the lowest price.

softwarejanitor mentioned Austin as being a competitive market
    and I'm sure that you could send a neck to the shop of your
    choice.. maybe not now, but something to keep in mind for later.

I wouldn't think twice about using this method, although I'd do
    my research (Yelp reviews, etc) as far as which shop or luthier
    or whatever to go with.

you could also have a neck made to duplicate what you've got
    although that's prob'ly the most expensive route to choose!

18. Roadman

Roadman Strat-Talk Member

my guy did a re-fret for $150 on my AVRI 57....as Ron points out , if your not worried about a little finish coming off when the frets are pulled out the price can be negotiated...my neck had plenty of wear so the finish wasn't much of an issue...$350 seems high to me

[​IMG]

19. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Remember too that we all get used to a new neck very quickly. I have in the past wanted to get a refret and then went the new neck route, feeling that I would never be able to like the new neck as much as the old one but after a few weeks, liked the new one even more!!

20. louis cyfer

with a new neck you are still looking at a level crown and polish though if you want it as good as can be. so that adds to the price. plus, you can choose your fretwire when getting a refret. i have a hard time finding necks the way a like them.

21. XxDBENCxX

XxDBENCxX Strat-Talker

Well Warmonger neck come leveled crowned and red to go if you buy there 300 dollar ones..