Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

CRL Switch or Stock American Fender Switch?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by WahWahammer, May 14, 2014.

1. WahWahammer

WahWahammer Strat-Talker

Feb 23, 2013
    Edmonton, AB
    Hi guys,

I'm currently waiting for a set of D Allen pickups, and while I was disassembling my Stratocaster, I considered the Strat wiring kit Stew Mac offers (I have one from a Partscaster project that fell through a while back), and the CRL switch it came with. What are folks' opinion on these, and would it be any different than the switch I've already got wired up? I'm replacing the no-load pot with one of the pots from the wiring kit - never been a fan of the no-load.

And actually that brings me to one more question: any difference between the CTS 250k "A" pots in my Strat versus the non-lettered CTS 250k pots in the kit? Other than date of manufacture, haha? I can't see the lack of that little stamped (or is it etched? I digress..) letter "A" affecting the mojo of my guitar at all, unless the pot is actually electronically inferior. Somehow. I don't pretend to understand the inner workings of a pot, all I know is it acts (or just is) a short on the circuit that bleeds the highs to ground, and that may not even be accurate.

I've done small repair jobs on wiring and such for my and friend's guitars, but this is the first time I will be swapping electronic components, and have the availability to swap more, so I want to be as informed as possible before I start the work.

Thanks in advance,

WW

2. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The CRL switch is very good, but you probably already have an Oak, which is equal to the CRL, so no gain in swapping them.

The "A" on the pot is to designate it as an "Audio Taper", as opposed to a linear taper. The ear does not hear in a straight line of volume, so Audio pots are used for the volume to create a more evenly paced fade. Linear pots are generally used for tone, but an audio pot will do great there too.

3. WahWahammer

WahWahammer Strat-Talker

Feb 23, 2013
    Edmonton, AB
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. Very helpful.

As for the pots, would the volume fade... scratchily?... if I used the linear pots for the Volume? I only ask because as it is, I can re-wire my original pickguard with the '08 pups and just use the Stew-Mac kit with the D Allens in another 'guard to have two fully functional sets - assuming the linear pots and CRL switch won't take anything away from my signal.

4. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    I disagree about the stock Oak being as good as the CRL. I can totally wear out an Oak switch in just months, and I put a CRL in my American series sometime around 2006 or 2007, and it's still operates and feels like the day I bought it.

I did the same with my CV 50's strat in 2012. I'll never go back to those stock Oak switches.

5. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Mar 22, 2011
    West Virginia
    As mentioned, the CTS 250k A pots are audio taper. CTS 250k linear taper pots are normally marked with a 'B'.
    IIRC, my 2001 American Series came with audio taper pots in all three positions.
    If your switch isn't giving you any problems, I'd leave it.

6. Tele like it is

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The Linear pots aren't "scratchy", but may not be as usable. Ever have a volume that seemed to go... nothing, nothing, nothing, ALL THE WAY UP...? That's a linear taper.

I can neither confirm nor deny Stratoholic's experience with the Oak switch.

7. WahWahammer

WahWahammer Strat-Talker

Feb 23, 2013
    Edmonton, AB
    My Strat has 2 "A" and the no-load. Shouldnt be an issue, as Ill just make sure the linear pot goes to the tone.

As for wearing out the Oak, its done fine for the last 6 years, Im sure its gonna be okay.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys, when the stuff arrives, Ill post a thread of my adventure (or misadventure!)

8. Tele like it is

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Pic's or it never happened...