Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Crowning files...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dadocaster, May 16, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My usual very slow pace is going along as usual, had some fruitful research on the legendary Ron Kirn leveling thread out there in internet land, a small discussion with our guy henderman and appreciated his input. Between my son and I we have quite a few partscasters and cheapies and will be doing some fret work. In the past, I have done light leveling and then crowned using a triangular file but it's a time consuming method and is not at all fool proof. Since I may be doing quite a few necks, I need a crowning tool to speed up the process.

What reasonably priced tool can I purchase to crown frets?

2. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Oh wait, you said “reasonably priced”. Never mind. :p

3. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

4. Dadocaster

I put that in so you rich folks would not confuse the issue... :D

Lovnmesomestrat and Yaralag like this.

5. Chief101

Chief101 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky

6. dbolt

dbolt Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 17, 2014
    NC
    I use the StewMac product. The cost is relative. The time saving over a triangle file is significant.

The Strat Dude and medicchief like this.

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    Robins likes this.

9. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

Sep 8, 2015
    Eden Prairie
    I've used a cheap crowning file in the past, and recently spent a little more on a Stew-Mac "Z File", which is designed to cut the bevels on each side of a fret, but not really take height off of the top.

Assuming I'm using it right, I actually found it harder to get the evenly rounded crown I intended. Might be be a bit much for those of us with limited skills...

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Great. Now this thread has me chasing a rabbit. I've been needing some fret files.

Well, off to the interwebz. :rolleyes:

11. Dadocaster

You're welcome.

Namelyguitar and Ebidis like this.

12. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Dec 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I use the Hosco files from Philadelphia Luthier too. They seem pretty good.

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I highly recommend a diamond crowning file. A lot less clean up and polishing work. A bit more $$, but worth it, IMHO!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

Robins likes this.

14. Dadocaster

Got the six sided tool with three different fret size files and it works fine.

Just did some checking and it appears that the notched fingerboard straightedge that I made out of a steel ruler is not straight. :D What are you guys using? I will probably just buy one online but StewMac can kiss my backside before I pay a hundred bucks for a straightedge with some notches. :D

15. Dadocaster

16. medicchief

medicchief Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    I purchased a Stew-Mac combo set; narrow-medium and a jumbo-wide, 2-sided files. Just finished doing the works on a Strat.....
    IMG_1375.jpg

Bob the builder likes this.

17. Dadocaster

@henderman

Hey, that neckcheck straightedge finally arrived. Looks to be great quality. Thanks for the recommendation. I have all the stuffs now and bought a couple of beaters last week. Time to start working.

henderman likes this.

18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I used the file I got from Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies just yesterday. I leveled, crowned, and polished the frets on my old Strat for the first time. First 320 grit sandpaper on the radius beam, then the file, then 400 grit wet and dry paper to smooth off the file marks, then some fairly aggressive polishing compound and some hand rubbing. Man, it's like a new guitar all the sudden. :)

Bob the builder and johnnymg like this.

19. Dadocaster

Alrighty then. Cheap ass that I am I got one of those all in one crowning tools, tried it out, it worked fine. I have used the better tools many times and this tool is a bit harder to use but is just fine. Got my neckcheck dealio, got a man made stone threshold and got a roll of sandy paper, got some crappy nut files. All told, maybe 60 bucks. I have maybe half a dozen guitars/basses that could use work so the outlay seems modest for what I want to do.

The kid will be here after HS Drumline Camp.

Michael Buffer voice: Let's get ready to LEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!!!

MCC850 and henderman like this.