Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Crows

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by tommytele, Sep 13, 2018.

1. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA
    I have a pair of crows that love when I turn on our water sculptures...they come for a drink and a bath...they know me and don't fly off if I get near...clever little buggers! Crows.jpg

vlxerdon, nadzab, apm1991 and 13 others like this.
  2. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I like crows! :D

johnnymg and Mansonienne like this.
  3. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2017
    Shreveport, Louisiana
  4. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Strat-Talker

Mar 29, 2017
    Texas
    Reckon you plant yourself a garden of sort... You'll have more to join.

5. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2017
    CT
    8F2CE9C2-A804-47A5-BB21-E3C389B69665.jpeg

Thrup'ny Bit, tery and Chont like this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Looks like my kind of place. Cool sculptures, shipping containers nearby... what other cool stuff might be around there?

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

When Jimmy Page first saw musical notes he said it looked like crows on telephone wires:)

Mansonienne likes this.
  8. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
  9. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    My first-hand crow stories. Crows are SMART. We've got a few crows and occasional ravens, here.

I tossed some stale whole wheat crackers on the ground under the bird feeder, 'cause the Grackles love them. I was washing dishes and looked out the window to see a single Crow inspecting the crackers. It scooped one up with its beak and flew away with it. In a minute or two it came back and scooped up a cracker. It then bent down and scooped up a second cracker so the 2 were stacked in its beak. I guess it felt like they weren't back far enough in its beak, because it pointed its beak at the ground and tapped the crackers on the ground to push then farther back. The Crow then scooped up another cracker, then another, so it had a stack of 4 crackers in its beak, then flew away. That's smart. Smarter than some people I've met.

At another house I used to put down cracked corn under the bird feeder. If a single crow saw the corn it would fly down and stand next to the corn without eating any. It would then 'caw' apparently to attract other crows to the food. It would call to attract other crows for 10-15 minutes. With or without other crows, only after calling would it eat. I saw this many times with a Crow acting for the greater good over the self. Again, smart. Again, smarter than some people I've met.

At that same house, I noticed a few tiny pieces of something orange and water-deteriorated at the bottom of the birdbath. I'd scoop it out and throw it away, but within a couple of hours there was more at the bottom of the birdbath. This was totally mystifying, to me: what *orange* substance was it and how did it get there on a recurring basis. One day, I saw a crow sitting on the edge of the birdbath. In a couple of minutes, another crow flew down, sat on the edge of the birdbath, and dropped something orange into the water. After letting the orange stuff sit in the water for a minute or two, the second crow picked it out of the water and stuffed it into the mouth of the first crow. An adult was feeding its adult-sized young. I watched and followed the adult crow and figured out that it was picking up orange, cheese-flavored dry dog food out of a bowl on a neighbor's porch, dropping it in the water to soften it, and then feeding its kid.

nuculer terrist and sssstratsss like this.
  10. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Crows not only drop nuts on the road, so that passing cars crack the shells open, they do it at pedestrian crossings. They've learned to wait for the lights to change before collecting their prize.

s5tuart, johnnymg, Hairy Bear and 4 others like this.
  11. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
  12. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2017
    CT
    Heckle & Jeckle don’t look like no Magpie to me even if thats what they were originaly suppose to be by the artist. A Magpie is part of the Crow family anyway. Heckle & Jeckle look more like a regular Crow to me than a Magpie. I’ve called them 2 characters Crows since I was a kid and I’m sticking with that till I die. Ask any kid what kind of bird they are and I bet they would answer a Crow. Looky see here Magpie pics https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Magpies.&t=ipad&ia=images&iax=images does this look like Heckle & Jeckle?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  13. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
  14. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Heckle & Jeckle - The Talking Magpies... May be Crows that identify as Magpies.
    Who am I to judge?
    heckle-and-jeckle-from-the-talking-magpies-1.jpg

circles, roadhog96 and tery like this.
  15. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA
    IMG_1944.jpg

johnnymg, circles, Triple Jim and 3 others like this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Smart, cool creatures.

johnnymg, circles and Mansonienne like this.
  17. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    They'll probably start bringing you stuff soon

18. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I like crows. Smart, and beautiful.

johnnymg and tommytele like this.
  19. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Have a [murder of crows]...
    Has taken up residence in my air-space and trees...
    poop is difficult to wash off...
    So far not fooling with cat food...
    Wish my 7" tablet could catch them...

Mansonienne likes this.
  20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Crows are all over our neighborhood. I did notice they were drinking from some puddles after the sprinklers ran one morning. I thought there are whole ponds of water ... like my koi pond ... and the neighborhood pond, why puddles? I guess they like puddle water.

johnnymg and tery like this.