Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Crows

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by tommytele, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The bass player in my band has a crow call that he keeps with him in his car. He sits on his back porch and talks to the crows. He gave me a demonstration one day.

He used the crow call, and the crows answered back. It was pretty cool. He said they have several vocalizations, I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 10 or 20.

Mansonienne likes this.

2. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

May 6, 2011
    Baltimore
    I once saw a crow attack a hawk in midair. Chased him away. The hawk was bigger but the crow was more maneuverable. About a dozen of his crow buddies stayed in the tree making a racket. I think they were egging him on.

Then another time I saw a group of blue jays mobbing a crow. And the crow making sad noises.

Mansonienne likes this.

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    a87115fff0dc206f10b1dc1fc54ab907--smiley-facebook-smiley-faces.jpg

Mansonienne likes this.

4. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    When we lived in Ventura my wife and I used to visit a local park and feed the crows peanuts. It was absolutely hilarious to see the crows swoop in from a half mile away when we would arrive. We would usually hear one call and then the large pack would start flying in. It got to the point that the crows would recognize our car and start flying towards us before we got out of the car. Depending on the time of year there might be as many as 200 following us around the park.

They are incredible at recognizing people.................... but we tricked them once. One day we were biking by the park and stopped to see if they would swoop in. No dice.............. our bike gear and helmets must have disguised us enough for them to not recognize us.

Another time we found a dead crow (probably a hawk kill) in the very middle of the park ball field. My wife carefully approached it and then bent over to examine the corpse. Immediately about ~200 crows went absolutely bat-S crazy. All around us in the trees the crows were making the biggest ruckus I've ever heard from them. For the next week every day we would go back to the park the crows would go berserk when they saw us and not fly in for their peanuts. It was another week or so before they were back to their regular feeding routine.

Interestingly, the crows up here in the central coast area don't flock to parks like they do down in Ventura. The crows here are WAY more cautious around humans. Most of them head to the fields to feed every morning and then return at night to the coast. There must be thousands that make this journey every day by our house.

Mansonienne likes this.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Yeh
    And
    Starlings and black birds attacking crows

7. YeOldeRocker

YeOldeRocker Strat-Talk Member

Apr 25, 2017
    White River Junction, VT
    Well, as much as I love crows and think they're very cool, one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed (involving birds, anyway) was when a pair of crows pulled off a coordinated attack on a robin's nest. Robins from all over the area came to the mother robin's aid, which was stunning to see all by itself, but - sadly - the crows had accomplished their mission and the baby robins were gone.

So, yeah, crows are really smart, but the robins knew what was happening, too; their grief was obvious; they just hung around each other for awhile, not making a sound. Heartbreaking.

OTOH, crows I've watched go after hawks were probably responding to a similar nest attack, this time on a crow's nest. Whoever thought birds were stupid never watched them interact or figure things out. Fortunately, most interactions between bird species are pretty benign, and even cooperative.

Yeah, I spend too much free time staring at the bird feeder...

johnnymg and Mansonienne like this.

8. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Crows will harass Owls. Watch for them circling and swooping in the trees making one hell of a racket. Look and you will usually find an Owl hunkered down against the onslaught.