Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Cruisin' in the 80s...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Bodean

Bodean Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Yes they did, I had friends that had them. I couldn't believe how rough the ride was.
    I can't swear to it. I am no expert on them. I just know it looked odd and fresh.:D

dueducs likes this.

2. pyronym

pyronym Strat-Talker

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    my first car was an 88 k5 blazer, i still regret selling it.

duzie likes this.

3. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I had one of these and was glad for it. It got me around. Four on the floor, about 85hp I think, and probably not much over 1800 lbs.

[​IMG]

4. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My grandfather had a white Coupe de Ville very similar to that in the 80's.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    My first ever vehicle was an '84 that got totalled in a wreck, and I replaced it with an '85. I hotrodded that thing and had a lot of fun with it, but it wasn't a good everyday driver. Traded it for the Tacoma I still have.
    I also wish I could've kept it, it was a lot of fun cruisin or romping in the desert on the weekends.

duzie likes this.

6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I would've liked one of these:
    [​IMG]
    Or in 1989:
    [​IMG]

Or perhaps:
    [​IMG]

7. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    In the late 80s I was rolling in this ....

70DodgeChallengerRT.jpg

I wish I still had it, I could sell it and buy a house or two.

My current cruiser is an 80s throwback ...

84Vette_CoastGuardHouse.jpg

ZlurkCorzDog, duzie and Dare1 like this.

8. duzie

duzie Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Who knew the value of those would go through the roof!

TheDuck likes this.

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    1987...hmmm. I was driving a bright red Izuzu Impulse (which I called a "Wimpulse"). It was actually a decent little car. I really liked the cockpit design, very ergonomic. Got married and traded it in for a Mitsubishi Pickup Truck (longbed)...which was an excellent workhorse. We didn't make enough money to feed (or insure) a V8 vehicle.

I gave up my old '66 VW Type III (Fastback) for a Dodge D-50 pickup (made by Mitsubishi) in the early 1980's. I needed something more reliable than my hot-rodded (and loud) VW.

In 1980, I was offered a '67 Vette...427/435 tri-power, factory side-pipes, separate hard-top, etc. I drove it...it was a killer (as in, "I'm gonna kill myself in this thing") and with all the gas crisis stuff going on then, I couldn't afford to feed it either. Heck, I didn't have $6,000 anyway...

TheDuck likes this.

10. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I didn't have this until the late '90s, but I had one of these, an '85, for a while that I bought off my dad.

[​IMG]

Nick Evans and TheDuck like this.

11. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This was what I was rollin' in the late 80's (turned 16 in '88).

Except mine didn't have the louvers on the rear glass (would have if I could have found them), black sport mirrors (both sides), had stock wheels- painted them black and replaced the missing center caps and added trim rings and chrome lug nuts, and had striped down the side- light blue, dark blue and black. Also had every option except automatic transmission- factory sunroof, rear window washer/wiper (very well appointed for a 1981 economy car), gauge package (with tachometer- 6500RPM redline from a 1.5L I4) and center console with storage cubby in front of gear shift, which I filled with an Audiovox ( remember them?) EQ with a 100 watt receiver/tape deck with 8" round 3 ways in the door and a CB radio (before cell phones it was the way to stay in contact, "Breaker breaker this is Jay Bones...").

Car handled like a go cart and I drove it like I stole it!!!

[​IMG]

Car weighed 2100 LBS. WET with a driver, and had a Weber 2 barrel carb, gutted car and race exhaust. Much faster than stock.

Same car as the one in the movie Into the Wild, although that was an earlier model, a different color and (AIR) not a hatchback.

Much later when I delivered auto parts for Ohio's oldest AC/Delco parts distributor, the boss had a '76 Eldorado convertible with the 501 V8. He'd had it painted salmon metallic and I got to drive it once when all the other delivery vehicles were out.

Got it on the highway and put the go pedal down. Big cloud of carbon smoke behind me, the telescopic wheel (which didn't lock) came back with me as I sunk back into the overstuffed couch that was the front seat. Passing 80 a severe vibration started in the front end so I backed off.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

12. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    I was no stranger to those big old cars. Loved them!

One friend had a Cadillac, another a '72 Chrysler Imperial.

I had a '65 Impala wagon and a '67 383 powered 2-door Plymouth Fury.

ZlurkCorzDog and TheDuck like this.