Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

CS 69s with Ant Custom Bridge

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Fendrix, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM.

1. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talk Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    Hi All,

I have 2 CS 69s (neck + bridge) in my strat along with a Texas Special Bridge. It is not a horrible combo and I sort of matched the tone between them by balancing pu heights and using a tone pot for the bridge which I dial between 1-3.

However, the Texas Specials are way more compressed sounding than the 69s to my ears. So I’m looking at different options for a replacement bridge.

I need a PU with balls, I play with high gain most of the time. Think pearl jam, sonic youth, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the kills, dead weather, Frusciante, etc.. vintage voiced crunch and high gain tones in general.

I think a custom surfer bridge with ~9K dc will be hot enough for my needs as well as retain the vintage character of the other pickups.

My main question is... will it work with my 69s? I know i have to reverse the hot and ground cables but what about north polarity or something like that? I get lost at that point..

Thanks in advance guys!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:03 PM

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    The hotter the pickup is, the more compressed it will sound. It's the attenuation of the transient that causes that to happen. The Antiquity Texas Hot bridge, if that's what you're referring to, is even more compressed because it uses AlNiCo 2 pole pieces. The weaker magnets diminish the attack as well.

If you want more range out of the pickup, might like a lower output bridge, then give it "balls" with a different amp or overdrive pedal. It comes down to how the signal is filtered, less highs, more mids = more balls.

Paperback Rocker and Fendrix like this.

3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    9k is way beyond "vintage voiced" even more so than the Texas Special.

As far as will it work ... anything can be made to functionally work.
    Whether you like the result is for you to decide.

Alternating magnetic polarities are used to create a hum cancelling effect in the 2 and 4 switch positions.
    So ... north-south-north, or south-north-south.
    Since you already have two similar polarities in the neck and middle locations, you lack that effect in the neck/middle position.
    Unless you want/need the noise rejection and use the second switch position you can disregard magnetic polarity and correct signal phase by swapping the leads.

Playing with high gain I suspect you lose a lot of the vintage character to begin with but changing the bridge pick will not change the character of the other pickups.

Fendrix likes this.

4. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Pearl Jam and Frusciante are not using overwound bridge pickups. So consider getting something truly vintage and using your amp/pedals to thicken things up.

FWIW, the Apaches I have include a bridge pickup wound to about 6.7, likely less than your Texas Special. With a good fuzz face it is thick as a milkshake and still vintage toned. So maybe try a good fuzz face.

Fendrix likes this.

5. Fendrix

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    Many Thanks everyone for the valuable info.

After reading all the above, I’ve finally decided to go with something even more vintage and slightly lower output than my TX Specials.

I was considering ant II custom bridge, texas hot bridge or even ssl-5. My new candidates are, fat 50s, surfers neck, or SSL-1.

6. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster Vendor Member

The Surfer is a great pickup, and will work well with the other ones. You will have to swap the hot and ground on the Surfer, as Duncans are out of phase with modern Fenders.

Fendrix likes this.

7. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-Talker

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    I have a set of Antiquity Surfers with custom bridge. For me, this has been the best set I've ever tried. The Custom bridge still has a vintage voice to it but with more bass and midrange. It's not as high in output like the ssl-5.

The best way I know to describe it is a vintage styled strat pickup with more beef. Definitely more usable than a standard vintage-styled strat pickup IMO.

Fendrix likes this.

8. Fendrix

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    That is exactly what I’m looking for.. thanks :)

9. Antigua

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    I actually have the whole set, too, http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/antiquity-i-texas-hots-analysis-and-review.403444/ I wasn't talking abstractly. I took the set out because I found it to be wound too hot for AlNiCo 2 pole pieces. I don't mind similar wind counts with AlNiCo 5.

Based on my measures, the loaded resonant peak of the Texas Hot bridge is 3.12kHz, the loaded peak of an SSL-5 is 2.38kHz, so the Hot bridge has about 800Hz more harmonic content. A CS 69, by contrast, has a loaded peak of 4.1kHz, so that another 1kHz beyond the Texas Hot bridge. Whether the Texas Hot still sounds vintage or not is an abstraction upon an abstraction, but those are the numbers. The biggest difference you notice with a higher peak frequency is a more "glassy" attack because more of the transient burst, which is rich which harmonics and treble, makes it's way to the guitar amplifier. The "vintage" Strat tone is known for its glassy attack, so the hotter you go, the farther you get from that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 3:19 PM
    Fendrix likes this.

10. Fendrix

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    Wow, thanks for this amazing info . I want to keep all Pickups Alnico 5 and will most likely get either a surfers standard or custom bridge. I may also replace the 69s with SSL-1s as they are too bassy for me.

11. Antigua

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    I like the Surfers a lot better, but I didn't for for the hot bridge, I just put another neck pickup in the bridge spot.

David Garner and Fendrix like this.

12. Fendrix

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    Yea I think I’ll go with the same combo ( neck on bridge)

13. jlsantamaria

jlsantamaria Strat-Talk Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Valladolid (Spain)
    I've had a Surfer custom bridge installed with two CS69 and there's no need to reverse the wires like I had to do with the SSL5

Fendrix likes this.

14. Fendrix

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    Oh, really? Are you sure they are in phase without reversing the wires? BTW how do you like the transition from bridge to middle? Thanks!

15. Fendrix

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    Do you Like it better than the SSL-5?! :)

16. jlsantamaria

jlsantamaria Strat-Talk Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Valladolid (Spain)
    Completely sure, they are wound the same as the CS69 and they are south up polarity as the CS 69s.

SSL5/Surfer? The surfer retains more of a stratty sound. More bell like bottom end, the SSL5 is fatter and darker and you loose a bit of the classic strat sound in the inbetween position. Keep in mind that, although the high Kohm numbers they are wound with the thinner AWG43 wire instead of the AWG42 of a standard strat pickup so the Surfer is like maybe 7 - 7,5Kohm AWG42 equivalent. Think about it like a more balanced bridge pickup, not a hot one.

Fendrix likes this.

17. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster Vendor Member

The Surfer and the SSL-5/6 don't really sound anything alike. The SSL5/6 isn't based on a vintage pickup, and it is sort of an idealized fat strat pickup with a lot more mids and power. The Surfer sounds like a pickup made in 1962.

Fendrix likes this.