Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Current critter count

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by newplayeroldguy, Nov 12, 2018.

1. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    So in addition to our resident barn cat, we have noted an increase in our regular back yard visitors lately. We have two foxes, four does, two bucks (one spike, one big guy) two really big racoons, a skunk, and a couple of possums. These are pretty much every day visitors, with the occasional passer through. Now and again, we get the odd pairing such as one of the foxes hanging around with one of the possums the other night- like they were buds out for a beer.

I'm thinking of building an ark.

2. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I'm not a fan of the opossum. Ill tempers and nasty teeth dont make for fun companions

CephasG and circles like this.
  3. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Getting an Ark Permit is really a hassle I hear. Only know of one person who got one.

Good to be near some wild life though.

s5tuart and CalicoSkies like this.
  4. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
  5. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    these possums dont have ill tempers. i pet them and never get bitten. a lot of people have the wrong idea about them.
    FB_IMG_1542083009871.jpg

6. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I've never had a friendly encounter with them

Yaralag likes this.
  7. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 28, 2014
    Cypress, TX
  8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    We have regular possum visitations. As @heltershelton said, they do have an undeserved bad rep. They’re all bluff and actually pretty harmless critters.

They do make the dogs go crazy though.

Yaralag and heltershelton like this.
  9. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

haven't seen opossum on my side of the great divide (Interstate 5 or 'the' 5 as it is more commonly known) in 20 years. lots of deer, fox, raccoon, coyote...but no opossum.

now on the other side, there are quite a few...but few if any racoon or deer. coyote learned to use the overpass network ages ago so they've run of the place.

kinda glad really. all i need is little dog mixing it up with an opossum...she'd learn quickly what my momma taught me as a wee lad.

"don't be starting something you can't finish...!"

Yaralag likes this.
  10. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    they come up on the back deck every night. they dont mess with the cats and the cats dont mess with them.

Yaralag and rolandson like this.
  11. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I have two dogs, two cats, and two sister in laws.

is a zoo around here.

12. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

little dog ain't no cat.

she's an english foxhound and dumb as a stick. now, she likes cats...always wants to make friends and play with them.

but opossum? she'd think it was a squirrel made for chasing. she might learn otherwise, but like i said, she's an english foxhound... the only dog more stupid is the american foxhound.

okay, maybe the brenese mountain is king of dumb, but the foxhound is a close second.

Yaralag, Monkeyboy and heltershelton like this.
  13. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Nowhere, man ...

Yaralag and circles like this.
  14. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Nowhere, man ...
    Seen out back :
    Coyote, Beaver, Skunk, Raccoon, Groundhog, Wabbit, Pheasant, Hawk, Eagle, Crow, Sandhill Crane
    (millions, migrating), Egret, Duck, Roadrunner, Owl . It's a stretch of forest only 1/4 mile wide, running
    along the banks of the Rio Grande. Not too shabby.

15. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 12, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Every 5 or 6 years we see some opossums around but with the dogs and feral cats, mostly they stay away. Some of The feral cats live under the porch where the opossums used to stay.

16. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There has been a fox in residence in the abandoned house next door for the last 3 years. Earlier in the spring another showed up.

Hoping they're going to have a litter of kits.

There's a doe who showed up with 2 fawns. Still had their spots about a month ago.

Late births like that usually don't have the time to grow enough to survive the winter. Mom's pretty skinny herself.

Plenty of raccoons, handful of squirrels and a pair of cotton tails.

A nesting pair of bald eagles so I see at least one a day. Often I'll see the juvenile siblings playing- chasing each other like a mating ritual.

A few days ago I heard a long eared owl in the cedar trees outside my bedroom window during the night.

newplayeroldguy and Tone Deaf like this.
  17. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    We’ve got a dog, a cat, 2 cows, 4 chickens, 2 rats and two rabbits... the missus is angling for a kuni kuni pig and someone Is currently trying to give me a baby goat which I’m not sure about due to fencing considerations...

We also have at least two families of swallows living in the roof, resident ducks and herons on our pond and some small owls (called a morepork) have a nest in the pine tree by our deck.

we’re thinking about charging people who come visit for petting zoo access.

newplayeroldguy and johnnymg like this.
  18. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

Sep 27, 2014
    Southern IL
    Two barn cats and one Labrador. The Lab has killed two possums this week The cats have killed maybe 15 mice,voles and shrews in the same time period.

newplayeroldguy likes this.
  19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I’m currently owned by only 1 critter.

20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    We are down to 1 cat and an untold number of inside and outside fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No telling what all passes through our yard, but I know my flower beds and yard stay rooted up.

These coyotes keep cats and small pets as indoor pets.

[​IMG]

We have strange looking turkeys every so often.

[​IMG]

Sometimes a lot of them.
    [​IMG]

And a few slithering things crawl through now and again.
    [​IMG]

s5tuart likes this.