Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Current prices refinished guitars

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Mipstoo, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    ... Anyone has an idea what is the situation today for refinished Strats?

All originals but refinished ones are often priced at €9-€10k... is this the going rate? Or are these just optimistic listing prices?

Please share your experience, if any...

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    I only see listed prices, not realised ones....Even Ebay isn't a good indicator, as often guitars showing as "sold" are relisted days later.

One trend seems apparent - reifnished custom colour prices are getting much closer to original sunburst finishes...

johnnymg likes this.
  3. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Thats good to know (says the guy who owns a 65 Inca Silver refin).

Bazz Jass and Believer7713 like this.
  4. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2016
    The Crossroads
    It's been a yoyo lately... seems like they are trending back down right now. Some people are asking way to much for basket cases, but then you see clean 65's that are all original for less then 15k every once and a while. I'm not seeing the basket cases move in the 7-9k range.

5. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    I saw these UK refins, of varied originality, at Gardiner-Houlgate auctions during 2018 :
    63 Black refin 6000+24%= £7440
    62 Fiesta refin <replaced f/board> 3000+24%= £3720
    65 Dakota refin 3800+24%= £4712
    64 Sunburst refin 4600+24%= £5704
    62 Fiesta refin 5400+24%+ £6696

Bazz Jass likes this.
  6. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I saw a graph on the 'net yesterday showing used vintage Strat prices (can't for the life of me recall what website) that showed (surprisingly) variances up to $1500.00 USD monthly on used (collectible) Strat prices through 2018.
    I would have expected a hundred bucks or so each way, 1500 not so much.:thumbd:
    So it seems the collectible market is pretty volatile right now.
    I am also seeing ludicrous listing prices on pre-CBS Strats but they don't seem to be selling. Numerous re-listings.
    The vintage parts asking prices on eBay are staggering. $800.00+ for a single preBS pup?:eek:

7. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    I think you have to be logged into Reverb to see this link - it has specific years and models, and if you click on them it shows what they sold for (generally, multiple sales). It's really too vague to be much use, as it only list condition as a word (fair, good etc), and doesn't specify refinished or the like.

Regardless, I'm seeing some wild variations in sales prices here!

https://reverb.com/price-guide?q=stratocaster&decades[]=196&decades[]=195&brand_names=Fender

8. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I can see the link.
    Crazy prices, driven over the edge by art collectors who don't play.

9. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    Refins are one of the fastest selling guitars we buy. We’re getring $9k consistently for body only refin curved board Strats and $10-$12k for slabs. This is assuming they’re done nicely in a custom color.

Strat Jacket and Mipstoo like this.
  10. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I have no desire whatsoever to buy a vintage guitar.. but.. I can see why some do..

If you have disposable income, its pointless putting it in a bank at underwater interest rates, and real inflation far higher than the twerps in charge tell you. Far better to buy a guitar if that's what does it for you. If the price is not OTT when you buy, chances are you'll recoup when you sell and maybe a little more.. no brainer in my book..

11. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a skin graft on my hip

so in a way.. I have also been refinished.

so I guess Im worth about what a sunburst strat is worth. thats cool with me

12. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    What are you paying for them? I'd like to sell my '65. Inca Silver refin. Neck has been refretted several times but original finish (or what's left of it). If you don't want to say here, PM me.

13. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    It depends on the how the guitar looks and the sum of the parts. We usually try to get them for $5-$7k.

fezz parka likes this.
  14. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

The 2019 Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide puts a 64 Sunburst between (spaghetti)$14-19k (transition) $11-15k,Common Colors between $15-24k, Rare Colors between $24-32k. ± of course...

where a refin sits in all of that I haven't a clue.

But should one wish to do some research on asked/actual sale prices between refins and originals, I imagine a scale or pattern will present itself wherein one could make a reasonably close estimation of what current prices look like.

Though I would also think location might be a factor too.

15. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

There is definitely a stigma against refin's though. I brought in my original '60 and my body refin '62 to a local shop and had a few people do some comparisons just for fun. A couple of people thought the refin sounded better but they were off-put that it was a refin.

btw - the consensus was there was no agreement between which guitar was better. different people had their preferences. They are both different and everyone could tell that, but that caused a divide in preference.

As an owner of both, I can say it is frustrating that people look at things that way. For me, a cool guitar is the most important thing and whether it is refinished or not does not really bother me or subtract for the 'coolness' factor.

Everytime I touch a vintage guitar, whether refinished or not, It's an awesome experience for me.

T Guitar Floyd, crashbelt and Mipstoo like this.
  16. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    Guitar center must be paying more for vintage guitars these days. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 at 8:59 AM
  17. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Quite the contrary to what I've heard... at least a couple of years ago.

18. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    Yah I doubt much has changed, it's a business to make money. I have a friend who works there also. 40 percent - 60 percent they offer on current market value.

In my situation they didn't even offer 40 percent.

19. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

What I don't like about Guitar Center's buying policy is they want to double dip and take advantage of the customer.

What I mean by that is they want to give the seller 60% of the value of his guitar and still sell the original guitar at full price. So they make a profit off of the original guitar and a profit off of the sellers guitar. The win-win situation would / should be that GC makes a profit off of one or the other and gives the customer an opportunity to maximize the value of his/her trade-in. This route still see's GC a profit...in fact, the same profit if the seller/buyer was paying cash/credit for the new instrument.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  20. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    It all depends on price point, how many we have and the rarity. I can assure you margins are significantly lower on $10k+ guitars than speculated here.

Every dealer is in the business to make money. GC is not perfect, but it’s not the worst place to sell you’re vintage guitar. That I know to be a fact.

Mipstoo and montemerrick like this.