Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Custom build from custom shop

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mcawesome57, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Mcawesome57

Mcawesome57 New Member!

Jul 11, 2018
    Nc
    Ok so I know this has probably asked a thousand time but here we go again.

So because I can’t find the Strat I want with every bell and whistles I want I was wondering how much it usually ranges in price for a custom shop build? I have seen the ones on eBay and I’m one of those weird people who wonders if they don’t want it why should I? So I’m not in the debate of is it worth it I have seen hundreds of those discussions. I was wondering if anyone has done it and get a ballpark of what they paid? I don’t want a master build a custom shop team will do what I want for half the price.

Thanks

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    sorry, no info on custom shop stuff, wouldn't be in my price range if I were a millionaire, but what specs are you looking for? Interested.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    you can build one yourself of better quality (imo) and for cheaper by using parts from warmoth, musikraft, and other neck and body makers. you can buy whatever hardware you want and have everything exactly to your specs.
    but if it just has to say fender and you get a custom shop youre looking at thousands of $.

CarbonCanyon, Elvie and johnnymg like this.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    True Fender custom shop builds (not team built CS) are very spendy! Figure 6 fats as a starting point.

See Helter’s post for the sane way to a great custom.

5. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    6,000 dollars seems/seemed ludicrous for guitars.. until I went down to Nashville and saw a few beautiful strats for about 20-30,000 dollars.

600 dollars is too much for me.. Nice to window shop, though. I just spent 350 on a guitar yesterday, and kinda feel guilty about that.

6. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    I'll give you my experience. I custom ordered a Strat back in 2014 (team built) because, like you it seems, I knew exactly what I wanted but couldn't find a stock model that had everything I wanted and I wasn't willing to compromise anything. Hence I decided to go the CS route.

At the time, the total price for me was around the low 3k range. I'd imagine it's a little more now. It turns out, this guitar has become my favorite out of the numerous ones I own and have owned. It's great player.

If you go this route, just be certain you know exactly what you want...and if you don't know or aren't sure, don't do it.

I'll also say, I have no regrets about ordering a CS guitar; however, I wouldn't do it again. There are great playing guitars at much lower price points and I've learned in the span of a few years to make a few comprises on certain things if the overall makeup (playability, sound, comfort, etc.) is great.

nickmsmith likes this.

7. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    what was it that you were looking for? Curious what the CS does that isn't readily available by parting together other Fender parts. Never really looked into it, because the price is too much for me to really even daydream about.

8. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I may have to go in the dunk tank more than once for my pompous talk - but I can make a Squier play like a Master Built, many other people have learned also same as I have and from the many that already could.

Learning to make my guitar play as easy as possible, play in tune and stay in tune has brought me tons of joy, I will never buy a Custom Shop even if I hit the lotto, no hate just my situation.

Keep in mind if you pay 3k for a Custom Shop and someone turns a few adjustments when you are not looking anymore - it is no longer set up by a Custom Shop builder, that is the food for thought....

Elvie and nickmsmith like this.

9. Mcawesome57

Mcawesome57 New Member!

Jul 11, 2018
    Nc

Thanks that was what I was hoping to hear before I dropped that much on a C.S. I’m not opposed to little compromises just getting to that point of an end all guitar for me tired of looking I love strats and the sound and playability and like you said I know what I like and just figured if this would be the best way to get it

10. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Also consider that sometimes what you think you want, and what you really will like are two different things.

On paper, I shouldn't like the Classic Series 50s strat. tiny frets, strangely shaped (never had one before) V neck, low output pickups that don't hum cancel in 2 and 4.. it sounds like this would not be the guitar for me, instead, it's the best Strat I've ever played.

Mcawesome57 likes this.

11. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    You should try to get over the 'if they don't want it why should I' part and buy a used CS.

Most guitars are never played (or maybe for a couple hours), even Custom Shops. And when you buy a used CS, you can sell it for the same amount you paid if you keep it in good condition. I've done it many times. Your resell on a partscaster will not be very good, maybe even worse if it is a really expensive one. Of course if you keep it forever, that isn't a consideration.

Feels pretty good to play a CS Strat for a couple years for the price of strings.

problem-child likes this.

12. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    For me, presuming the playability is spot on perfect, a CS is about the finish. That is, the quilt, the flame, or the live wood edges, the binding, etc... The guitar should first be a fine instrument, and also a work of art. The weight, the fit, the feel.

And a CS should be about the electronics . The switching, the pots and pans.

I forgot my point .

I think that because now I want a Sierra Burst, Quilted top, rear routed, with S1 switching for series /parallel... at $6k!? I'll build it myself. I'm slowly getting there .

13. Mcawesome57

Mcawesome57 New Member!

Jul 11, 2018
    Nc
    Thank I didn’t think of it that way (I’m not the brightest crayon in the box) I just see a lot of CS going used and didn’t want to be stuck it the mass quantities holding one I don’t really like

14. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    I won't lie. There was a strong appeal to the fact that I could have my very own, custom ordered guitar by this iconic guitar manufacturer. That certainly contributed as well. But, I also understood the risk of this option. "What if my guitar is a dud?" "What if I don't like it?" These thoughts factored into the decision too because I thought to myself, if I don't like it then I could sell it and hopefully not be out very much"

Now, if I'm being honest with myself, that wasn't exactly the most practical way of plotting my endeavor...anyway, regarding specs I wanted:

-Quarter-sawn maple neck
    -Dark Rosewood board
    -Jumbo frets
    -Fiesta Red finish (nitro)
    -1.650 nut width (not modern)
    -'65 C shape neck profile
    -early 60s style pickups

Not sure about now, but at the time, the chances of getting all these specs on a stock guitar or parting out was slim to none

nickmsmith likes this.

15. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Custom is what you make of it. Having had several and only one I have kept, it is a mixed bag. While most were exactly how I would have spec'd them they still were not the one. You know when you pick up one that is a keeper, and even though the CS guitars were very very well constructed and were all I could have hoped for from that perspective there was just something missing. One could purchase only fender parts from the stratosphere and make a semi-custom shop style guitar, with certainly less expense. On the other hand you can just play what you find and luck into a keeper just as easily.
    R

16. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

@Murphcaster this one is close:
    It is an EJ, but I think it is dakota not Fiesta. IMG_0797.JPG

Paperback Rocker likes this.

17. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    That's a nice looking guitar. Hard to go wrong with an EJ. I'm just not overly fond of the neck binding, 12" radius and 57 soft V neck profile. I did end up getting what I was hoping for though.
    IMG_0175.JPG

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

18. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    Details please on what you got and where you got it. Is this the custom shop you mentioned?

Over the years I have enjoyed owning many high end guitars using just this strategy. Buy used play for 6 months or so and sell. I don't trust ebay any longer for selling large value items. Their rules and "buyer protection" are simply insane. Too much potential to get scammed. I've never used Reverb... I'll post a tread asking about that as an alternative. I have a couple that I could stand to move.

19. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Reverb seems good. No issues so far, and you can make offers on almost anything on there. I like it more than eBay so far.