Join Strat-Talk Today

Custom Order Rant

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Numbercruncher, May 16, 2019.

1. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

I'll keep it somewhat civil.

March 2018 I ordered a Master Built Strat.

I've spoken/emailed the builder several times in the past 14 months regarding the specifics.

April 25, 2019 he sends me an email telling me he is building the guitar that day. I figure it may take a day or two to complete and I'll get shipping confirmation from the selling guitar place no later than May 1, 2019.

I emailed the builder yesterday to see how it was going. He asked me how I liked the guitar?

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The seller is looking into it and I have emailed the PNW rep as well. So far nobody has any information.

Did I say AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH yet?

If the shipping box has been opened I will not follow through with the purchase. Not on a major buck, early 50th birthday, arthritis getting so bad I struggle to play so I better buy it now custom shop guitar. No way. I'll see them in small claims court.

NC

2. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Woahhhhhhh

Who was the builder? Maybe he had guitars lined up to work on.. but the day you email him is miraculously the day he’s doing it? Very convenient...

Also, wait before yelling at them. It could be that FEDEX Or UPS lost it.. and in that case they should build you a new one (hopefully it’s insured) ASAP.

3. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talker

Sorry to hear about that. It's so frustrating when a major purchase gos sour. I hope they get things straightened out soon.

4. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

That is Soooo Baaad!
    Sure it didn't take them that long to grab your hard earned cash I guess.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

So after more than a year of waiting, a master built Strat gets shipped to you with no tracking number, no signature required, no nothing?

[​IMG]

Bodean, michaelinokc, BobbyS and 6 others like this.
  6. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Yup... [​IMG]

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

bsman likes this.
  7. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I mean, it's possible the carrier left it on your porch, and one of your neighbors is enjoying your guitar. But if they can't give you a tracking number they didn't ship it. Is it even possible to ship a package without tracking anymore?

8. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Could your major purchase have been handled better? Yes. Just like in the service industry, big money = big service.

However, I would advise against going immediately to the nuclear option before getting all the details. You're ready to go on Judge Judy and some dude might have read the order number wrong.

Hope you get your guitar without further incident. :thumb:

CB91710 likes this.
  9. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Yes, but you pretty much have to ask for it...which is weird in itself. Usually tracking is free unless it's a letter or postcard.

10. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Oh man, sorry for your woos. But it sound like to me that they did not ship it yet and the builder is confused. Also they should have sent anything of that value with restricted delivery. That way it not only needs a signature, you have to show ID that you are the intended party.

11. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

I highly doubt any reputable vendor would put a $3,000 guitar with a shipper and not want a tracking number themselves. Even if they don’t send it to you, it’s proof for them that it delivered.

12. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

13. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

I need to be more careful in my wording. The guitar was shipped to the guitar seller that handles custom shop orders, not directly to me. I don't think the builder is at fault here, but something has happened in shipping. I am trying to avoid names and locations in case the goof is just that, a goof.

So the guitar was to have final assembly on April 25, 2018 and then shipped to the place where I ordered it from. Call it "Guitar Land anytown USA."

But between the 25 of April and now I have received no additional feedback until I looked into it myself yesterday by querying the master builder. I didn't ask him directly if he had completed and shipped the guitar but rather to see if he needed anything else from me as I had not heard back from him after learning he would complete the build on the 25 of April. HIs response was how did I like the guitar suggesting he had finished it some time earlier and it should have arrived by now. He knows where I live as we have spoken over the past year or so.

This post got delayed as I just got off the phone with the selling store. Their story is really fishy to me.

They claim they don't have the guitar yet and that it only left Fender just this week.

They say that as of a few months ago, all their high dollar items go to a new facility some distance from their main shop. They do this to assure quality control and to make certain any new high dollar guitar has not been damaged. He insisted their guys will make sure this or any other guitar is not damaged in any way and then it will be delivered to their main store the next day. I asked him to make certain to not open the box as I have to be the first person to lay eyes/hnads on it. He said not to worry and that will be the case as the guitar will still be in it's original and unopened shipping box. But if that is the case, why ship it to their alternate location for inspection if they are not going to open the box and truly inspect the guitar? They can inspect for shipping damage at their main facility easy enough.

So I don't know what to believe but have also emailed the regional rep for fender to have him send me whatever tracking information they have. If they can prove it has only left Fender this week and is scheduled to arrive at location "b" as opposed to the address I can actually visit, I'll take their word for it. But it just seems so convoluted to me. The guy on the phone today from the "Guitar Land any town USA" told me the concern for damage is in part due to not wanting it to fall off a pallet. Well I have been to their shop and they are real low volume and I don't think the concern for shipping damage is as he says and I certainly don't see how shipping it to an alternative location for inspection where the inspection won't take it out of the box will do any good. I think they are trying to cover something up but my hands are tied. I'll head over to pick it up next week and will take it form there.

Thanks for watching.

NC

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Yves and Nate D like this.
  14. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Man that suc*s

15. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

Does this store have a corporate head quarters?

Id go to the top

So where your other facilities?
    “I go pick it up in person”

Or if it was the old me id meet the manager at his car at closing and ask my questions

Hope it works out,,,people suck

strats62 likes this.
  16. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Sounds to me like a disaster dealing with orders for
    They're total bonkers those guys!

17. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Maybe just another case like this one
    Who knows, some guy down the road ordered a MIM and got yours.

18. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Don't get your panties in a bunch; yet.

100% true story:

I've got a guy that finds items that no one else can ever find.

I've been dealing with him for 15 years.

One day he calls me, sounding kinda irate:

Guy: Hey buddy, you gonna pay me for that item, or what?
    Vid: Yeah, absolutely. When are you sending it my way?
    G: I SENT IT TO YOU 2 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T FNCKIN' GET CUTE WITH ME!!!!!!
    V: Ahhhhh.....you did? [my stomach starting to sink]
    G: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????

Now just to note, we get UPS every day, brought to the service desk. Nothing is ever left outside, or with a neighboring business.

V: Hey, work with me here. What's the tracking number?
    G: Let me find the receipt...... zasdfsd2342342sdfadf package 14x14x34" 121 lbs, insured for $12,000
    V: [I poke the number into UPS.com] Hmmm, it shows undeliverable. But it's right here in town.

I call UPS, while my guy is on speakerphone, listening to my end of the conversation.

V: I've got a package at your depot, that for some reason never got delivered to me, the number is.....
    Local UPS: Yeah, that thing has been here for months. I'm surprised it did not get returned to the sender.
    V: We get UPS every day, can our driver bring it out tomorrow?
    UPS: Nope. It says here it's undeliverable.
    V: What does that mean, it's damaged? Waterlogged?
    UPS: It means we can't deliver it to you.
    V: .....because?
    UPS: Because we can't. It's does not say why.
    V: Okaaaay, can I come get it?
    UPS: Sure. If it sits here any longer we will dispose of it.

So I go down to the UPS depot and give the desk guy the tracking number.

UPS: Wow, I can't believe we still have this!
    V: I would hope so, it's a really valuable item.
    UPS: You should have come sooner.
    V: I just found out that you guys have been sitting on it, today.

Guy goes in the back warehouse. Comes back without a cart.

UPS: Nope, we don't have it.
    V: I just called and **Mark** says you do have it.
    UPS: Yeah, the computer says we have it, but we don't. It might be a ghost.
    V: Did you send it back?
    UPS: No.....it was here....but now it's not.
    V: OMG, you are making me so angry.
    UPS Supervisor: What's going on here?

I explain the entire adventure to the Supervisor. He just shakes his head, like there is nothing that can be done.

UPS Employee #3: Man, that's crazy!
    V: Yeah, it's a big plywood crate, with metal handles, weighs a ton. I can't see how you could just lose it.
    U#3: Plywood?? Ya know, it could be that doorstop thing we've got on the dock. There are no labels on it.
    V: Can I see it?

Guy wheels in the crate.

V: That's it!
    Supervisor: How can you be sure?
    V: I see my guys phone number on the side in Sharpie. I can show you on my phone.
    S: We better open it.

The Supervisor brings out a philips screwdriver and starts to try and remove one of the 50 decking screws holding the crate together.

I get a screwgun from my truck before he has a single screw out.

V: Yep, that's the item!
    UPS#3: You should tell your guy to label his packages!!! Especially something that valuable!
    V: I'm sure it was labeled.
    U#3: Nope. It's unlabeled.
    V: How did it travel 1300 miles without a label? How did it know to come to our fine city???
    U#3: Well....that's a good question.

So I took their loading dock doorstop back, and paid my poor guy. We agreed that if I don't send payment within a week, he's to pick up the phone or email me.

I also set him up with a Gmail, so he can get tracking info and let me know something has shipped.

Tim S, bluejazzoid and Yves like this.
  19. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

That's horrible!!!
    Really hope this works out for you

20. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Well...maybe they've got their own "Custom Shop". Since you're in touch with the Master builder already, you might want to get him to tell you what to look for on your guitar, to make sure it is the real thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.