Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Custom shop Texas Specials

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Micktobora, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Micktobora

Micktobora Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    Hi all. Im very new to this site and im finding it impossible to search for specific threads. ??

Im trying to find opinions on Custom shop Texas Specials pickups. I have a '97 Lone Star Strat that has 2 Texas Specials, neck and middle with a hot Semour Duncan on the bridge - that i rarely use, as ive mentioned before in previous posts; its too much of a jump in gain and tone compared to the tx specials.

Im concidering getting a loaded guard with Custom shop Texas Specials and would really appreciate opinions on these and possibly how the Custom shop ones may compare with the standard Texas specials fitted in the Lone Star. Thanks.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I like the Tx Specs I have in my Roadhouse Strat, but I did lower the G pole piece and set them low in the guard.

LRS! and FormerTeleGuy like this.

3. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Same pickups. this forum has much love and much dislike for the Texas specials. I have a set and I like them, in the past I have had your same guitar, I liked them too.

There are ways to tame them by adjusting pick up heights etc... I am not that guy, I took mine in and had a pro setup and very happy with what they adjusted.

Good luck

Micktobora likes this.

4. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

I love them personally. I prefer 50s pickups, but for a time they were in my EJ Strat and I still have a set in my daughter’s MIM. They sound fantastic if you like that sound (big, brash, bassy and ballsy).

Micktobora likes this.

5. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I like Texas Specials. What I’m not a ginormous fan of are Fat 50’s.

Micktobora and David Garner like this.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I like Fat '50s a lot. I have no problem with Texas Specials either. Both are slightly hotter than vintage, just voiced a bit differently. I think I prefer the Fat '50s slightly over the TS, but either works pretty well for what I like.

Micktobora, David Garner and Nate D like this.

7. David Garner

I haven’t tried the Fat 50s, but I understand they are a little more punchy than typical 50s style pickups. I’m not sure how I’d get along with those. 50s style pickups I’ve tried include the stock EJ neck pickup, Fralin Vintage Hots and my current favorite Bare Knuckle Apaches. I imagine I’d like any well constructed 50s style. I love the SSL-1s for example, but I’ve never owned a set.

Micktobora and Nate D like this.

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The Fat '50s are a bit hotter, but not excessive. They are in the low 6k Ohm range in output. They have a bit more girth on the low end, but retain the nice sparkle and clarity of the high end, and IMO work really well with overdrive.

9. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    You know, I should qualify this statement better.

I had a very early set of Fat 50’s once a long time ago that I liked a lot. Recently (the last two years) I had a set that just didn’t do it for me at all.

David Garner likes this.

10. David Garner

They sound similar to the particular set of Apaches I have. They’re supposed to be about 5.6 or so, but mine are right at 6.0. They sound amazing.

Micktobora and Ebidis like this.

11. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    We're all different, that's half the fun.

Were both sets of Fat 50's in the same guitar? I've had pickups that I liked in one guitar, and did not care for in another.

If I qualify my statement, the only guitar I have used fat 50's in is my American standard, but I like them in that guitar a lot. The only guitar I tried the Texas Specials in was an SRV Strat I used to have, but they were great in that guitar.

So when I speak of my experience with these pickups, it is not vast, but I can say that my American Standard with the Fat '50s sounds pretty amazing IMHO.

12. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I had the set of Fat 50’s in a 97 American standard and those were great. The last set in my CS ‘56 were way too boomy even with them lowered almost flat with the pickguard.

You’re right- it’s a lot of fun ;)

Micktobora and Ebidis like this.

13. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's so funny bc I had a set in 2008 that I loved, but now the one that came on my CS 1960 strat doesn't sound the same as I remember...

Micktobora and Nate D like this.

14. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Different guitar. Contrary to popular opinion, there is more to the equation than just the pickups.

velvet_man, Micktobora and Nate D like this.

15. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah I know.... but the difference was so stark!!!

Micktobora likes this.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Texas Specials are amongst the most controversial pickups on this forum. Some people love them & some people hate them. What's strange about Texas Specials is that people dislike different things about the - some complain of the occasional treble spike in their sound, others complain that they're muddy. I wonder whether they simply have strange reactions to certain amps or pedals?

I tried them, liked them for more overdriven stuff, then fell out of love with them again when they were played clean, so I sold them. I don't miss them at all.

It's worth pointing out the TS Tele set is far more extreme than the TS Strat set. The Strat set is only slightly over-wound, the Tele set is hugely over-wound.

Strange pickups....

Micktobora likes this.

17. Micktobora

Micktobora Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    Well thank you all for your opinions on these pickups. All very interesting re the comparisons etc. I guess the only way is to try them in my strat.
    As i said in the initial post, my 97 Lone Star already has Tx Specials fitted as standard in the bridge and middle with a hot Semour Duncan on the bridge. The 2 Texas Specials in there i really like, but apparently the stock factory TS's are different from the Custom shop Texas Specials. Umm.. the quest continues!

18. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Yup, YOUR ears, YOUR geetar.

and there are only one set of TS's. Custom Shop Texas Specials.

Try them set pretty low, some folks have good results like that.

Micktobora and Vjerilood like this.

19. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    My view on Fender's Texas Specials is that they were probably aiming at the same neighborhood as Van Zandt's Blues pickups, but they missed. The Van Zandts get big without losing clarity, whereas in my experience the Fenders got (yes) muddy.

Micktobora likes this.

20. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

CSTS were designed for the SRV signature Strat (came out in '92). The idea was to "sound" like SRV.

Although he didn't have hot pups, with his heavy strings and heavy style playing, these where to compensate........................sort of, if YOU wanted to believe it.

Micktobora likes this.