Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Custom shop Texas Specials

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Micktobora, Nov 5, 2017.

1. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    On the Tele side of the house, the TS neck pickup is one of the best Tele neck pickups. Full, warm, detailed in a way that many Tele neck pups aren't, and matches most any bridge pup. It's the TS bridge pup that's so different. Brash and in your face: more of a rock or hard, loud blues pup. You have to set the height pretty low to get twang out of it.

SSJR likes this.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm afraid I disagree, I hated both of them. The Twisted Tele is a vastly better Tele neck pickup, IMHO.

Murphcaster likes this.

3. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    Fender winds their coils really tight, so they have a higher capacitance, and a lower resonant peak than most other manufacturers for a given DC resistance (or turn count), but only to a small degree. Fender's tightly wound 6.5k might be closer in performance to a loosely wound 7.0k, wound by Lollar, for example. In general, Fender's pickups are usually "hotter" than the DC resistance would suggest.

Based on what I've observed, I don't think there is much merit to having a "hotter" middle pickup that is in between the bridge and neck, because the output is plenty loud in the middle regardless, and it serves to lower the "notch" frequencies with bridge+middle and middle+neck. Since most Strat players don't care much about the middle pickups by itself, it makes more sense to "underwind" the middle so that the notch positions, the frequency will be higher, and create more "quack".

Another blow to Texas Specials is the fact that Texas Specials are/were a stock pickup on a lot of Strats, and so people end up with something they don't want. Aftermarket pickups, OTOH, are bought by people who know they want them, or are at least pretty sure. From a frequency response stand point, Texas Specials make a Strat more like a Tele. Some people like that, and specifically but pickups for that purpose, but most people who buy a Strat want to hear a "Strat", in the tradition of Nile Rogers or Dire Straits. Epiphone was also known for stocking their guitars with "trash" pickups, and there again, my read of it suggest that their stock pickups were just hotter than people wanted to come stock in a guitar. They were putting a bridge humbucker in several of their HH models, known as the "HOT CH", that was comparable to a Seymour Duncan JB, for much of the 90's/2000's.

Micktobora and TangerineDog like this.

4. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    To each his/her own. I like the TT neck pickup in my Baja 50's Tele. The tone sits somewhere between Strat and Tele. The TS neck pickup died in my James Burton Standard Tele and I'm looking for another. It currently has a TT at the neck.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I don't understand where you get this? There is only one type of TS, and that is the CS TS. Maybe you're confusing a "stock factory TS" with the Tex Mex pickups? Those are an entirely different pickup altogether from the TS.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The Texas Special that are included in the MIM models are wound in Mexico and are not custom shop. These are the standard pickups that were in the last generation of Roadhouse and Lone Star Strats. Those that are wound in Corona are given the CS designation. AFAIK.
    They should both be wound to the same spec though.

Micktobora and stratman323 like this.

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Never heard this one. I stand corrected. Learn something new every day.

To the OP: just try some Fat '50s. Live a little, be daring, take a chance.

SSJR likes this.

8. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    There have been several types of Texas Specials over the years. Fender doesn't take pickup specs seriously.

And the Tele Texas Specials are a totaly different thing. All they have in common is the name Fender attached to them.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    This is what I thought, but I had no proof. Do you have a reliable source that confirms this?

I believe you - it makes logical sense. But daring to suggest on here that stuff wasn't actually made in the Custom Shop can get you an angry response from some forum members! It's like it's some kind of heresy to even question Fender.....

Fender play fast & loose with their "Custom Shop" name though, even using it to describe certain Mexican guitars as "Custom Shop Designed" when it was actually designed by Leo Fender in 1954. An upgraded bridge or wiring circuit does not constitute an entirely new design, merely a slightly tweaked very old design. As a result, these guitars appear on eBay described as "Fender Custom Shop Strat", or something similar. That's Fender's fault.

Micktobora likes this.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I didn't say they weren't CS, just that the MIM OEM TX Specs. are wound in Ensenada, and there are others that are indeed wound in Corona, at least as I understand it.

SSJR likes this.

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

> AFAIK <

> given the CS designation< How are the given that ?

>at least as I understand it.<

So Mr. L, is this a speculation of yours or something else ??

What ?? MIM OEM TX Specs

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That's why I qualified it with the as far as I know... The place I got that info was probably here, talking to someone else. I don't know where they got it, but there are Tx Spec. pickups as standard equipment on a couple of different models.

Micktobora likes this.

13. Micktobora

Micktobora Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    Its simply that my pickups in my '97 Lone Star Strat have Texas Specials in them - and there is nothing on them that suggests they are from the Custom shop. If they were, wouldn't they be marked as such on the bottom?

stratman323 likes this.

14. Micktobora

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    Well that would explain why my tx specials on my '97 Lone Star ar'nt marked with the CS logo. If you are correct, then this explains my dilemma. Thanks!

15. sjtalon

They normally don't put the CS stickers on pups going into production geetars. The stickers are on over-the-counter sets.

Micktobora likes this.

16. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Agreed that production runs may not get the Custom Shop stickers.
    Of the examples that I have seen the OEM and retail versions are identical, other than the presence/absence of the sticker.

Also, there were some Japanese models such as "ST62-TX" that had pickups similar to Texas Specials with no stickers or other identification.

Keep in mind that in some environments those stickers will fall off anyway.

17. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Your 97 Lonestar have the Custom. Shop Texas Specials installed oem.

The other pickups mentioned here are Tex Mex, installed in other mim strats and are made in Mexico.

There will be no label on them to identify either way. If your guitar is unmodified they are custom shop pups.

Micktobora likes this.

18. Micktobora

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    Thanks @ryunker for the clarity. Finally my question is answered.
    Thank you all for your opinions and posts. I personally found the thread very interesting.
    Now for my 2 bobs worth. The 2 Texas Specials in my '97 Lone Star Strat are superb imo and over the years ive had so many comments on the great tone i get out of them. Whether i play through my Marshalls or my Fender amps, the tone/sound/ is always great, which is why i want another on the bridge to replace the hot Semour Duncan Pearly Gates. Cheers again!

19. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    You may want to try wiring the pearly gates as a "coil tap" push pull switch to split the humbucker before you buy another pickup. The pearly gates has good and decent sound. You can have single coil option that way. The pearly gates is really a good match with the Texas specials.

Micktobora likes this.

20. sjtalon

It's coil split.

Yup, nice to have middle bridge option too.

Micktobora likes this.