Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

CV 50's Strat issue

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by JohnMac, Feb 13, 2018.

1. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    Hey folks,

I picked up a CV 50's Strat and overall I'm pretty happy with it except for one very annoying issue. As I fret notes I can hear the string click when it contacts the fret as the note is played. This sound is heard through the speaker. Even fingers that contact strings around the string being played make the sound. I've never experienced this before, at least not to this degree.
    I would assume that it's a pickup issue. The guitar is set up nicely with fairly low action so it's not like ster string slams don on the fret. Has anyone else experienced this with a Classic Vibe Strat?

Adding on: Messing with it some more I realized that the click comes when my fingers contact the strings before the string contacts the fret.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

2. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    This made me plug in my CV 50s Strat and check it out, but no, mine doesn't do that. At least not through the practice amps here (Fender 15R Frontman and Peavey Blazer 158). I've used it often at my weekend Blues jam and never noticed that through the HRD or the Ampeg. What amp are you using? Do you have it on a clean setting? Do you use the bridge pickup?

3. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona

4. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    How high or low are your pickups adjusted?

5. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    I'm using a Vibro Champ and a little DIY three tube amp. It happens with both amps. My other guitars do this to some extent, especially at lower volume, but it's much more pronounced and microphonic sounding with this guitar.

It occurs with all three pickups and all strings. They are adjusted to around 1/8' from the strings when pressed at the last fret.

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Is this your only SSS 3 single coil guitar like a Strat?

If so I'd say it's you and it's brighter so you wouldn't notice with humbuckers or other pickups.....

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    The pickups in my Strats are two to three times lower than that, 1/4" to 3/8" from the strings.

8. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    I have an stock 80's Squier Strat that frankly sounds much better than the CV. The CV is pretty bright to my ears. I've had other strat's in the past.

I'll try lowering the pups.

9. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    yes 1/8" from the strings is way too close for single coil pickups, I missed that @Thrup'ny Bit @JohnMac

I set my pickups so the cover is just about even on the neck pickup with the pickguard surface, then the middle about 1/8" higher, and bridge 1/8" higher than middle....I'm still a good 3/8" away from the poles on all pickups guessing by eye....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Your 80s Squier more than likely has ceramic pickups, these are alnico and MUCH brighter and less compressed sounding......

What is your 80s Squier? Unless it's a JV or SQ serial it would have ceramic magnet pickups which have much less high end and are much less sensitive to touch....

Does it happen when you roll off the tone? On the bridge pickup by itself there is no tone, but we can help you add one with a little soldering and a jumper wire if you'd like.....

11. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    The Squire is a late 80's Korean with an E serial number. It is much warmer and fat sounding. Still pretty Stratty though.

It does do it with the tone rolled off, just tones it down accordingly.

I just dropped the pickups to about what you recommended and I believe I like the tone a bit better but that didn't help with the finger noise. It's not staticy, it's more microphonic.

I've already wired the bridge pickup to share the lower tone control with the middle. New pots and sellector switch too.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

12. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    It's the nature of alnico single coil pickups where the 6 rods in the pickup are actually magnetized themselves......much brighter, much more string pull if you set them too close, much more responsive to dynamics, less warm, less forgiving....

The late 80s Korean Squier will have pickups that look similar but the magnet is glued to the underside, a ceramic magnet - and the 6 metal pole pieces are just non magnetized conductive metal.....they are fatter, warmer, less bright, more compressed, less responsive to dynamics....less string pull too so you can place them closer....

I prefer Alnico for that classic kind of Dire Straits late 70s Strat sound......but yes it can be a shock to have a set for the first time....which is what I think you're experiencing....

13. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    I plugged my Squier in too. I already knew it didn't make the sound OP is talking about, but plugging in seemed like a good idea anyway. :D

I wonder if this (OP's issue) couldn't be a grounding problem? Maybe there's no ground to the bridge/claw? Just a thought...

johnnymg likes this.

14. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    I recently had it apart to upgrade the electronics and everything is intact. The problem was there before I operated on it.

I usually play at pretty low volumes in a small and maybe that accentuates the noise. I'll crank it up later.

15. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    When you mentioned microphonic I'm sort of wondering if your pickups are rattling? Springs or rubber tubing for the pup mounts?

Late 80's Korean wouldn't be a CV. Maybe those pups are just junk.

16. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    The guitar with the issue is a two year old CV. The 80s Squier is a different guitar, mentioned for reference.

17. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    If your fingers contacting the strings cause a click before fretting . . . sounds to me like there are 2 wires soldered to the wrong terminals. Maybe in the jack?

18. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    I see what you're suggesting. But it's not like just lightly touching a string causes the sound, like a ground or static sound. It just seems especially sensitive to picking up any tapping or brushing the string. I guess any guitar will do that to some extent. It must just be the nature of these pickups. I've heard that they used Tonerider Surfaris but who knows.

BTW, lowering the the pups made more of a difference than I first thought.

It might just be me. Someone else might pick it up and think it's just fine.

johnnymg and Guitarmageddon like this.

19. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    I just reread your post and you may have misunderstood me when I said that the string was about 1'8" off of the pole. That was with the string fretted at the last fret, not open.

At any rate, after playing around the height adjustments a bit more it sounds like a different guitar. I was having intonation problems and was getting some nasty overtones. I couldn't understand why those pickups got such good reviews. Now I see. I guess I'll keep it after all.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Guitarmageddon likes this.