Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dare's Assorted Covers and Originals

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by Dare1, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Howdy folks,

So since I've started recording with a microphone, I figured I would copy some of y'all by making my own thread for the stuff that I record. I figured it would be a good place for tips and advice on not just playing, but microphone information as well. So with that being said:

DISCLAIMER: All copyrights to the songs that I cover belong to their respective owners. I lay no claim to any song except for those that are my own originals, and in no way am I trying to make money off of them.

My first couple that I recorded are covers of "In Bloom" from Nirvana, and "San Ho-Zay" from Freddie King. I think the microphone placement was a little off on the Nirvana cover, but I think I might have fixed it with the Freddie King one. Let me know what y'all think, and as always, thanks for everything!

2. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Dude are you singing and playing? If so that rocked.

abnormaltoy and Dare1 like this.

3. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Shoot I wish! I can't sing, let alone sing and play at the same time. thanks man!

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nice! Good to hear you playing again Dare. Great cover on that Nirvana tune and those are some cool blues licks on the King tune. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

5. wiryawan

wiryawan Senior Stratmaster

Loving what I hear so far, great playing and tone right there, matching the vibe of the tracks that you covered there Dare!

6. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it very much. I'm going to try to make it a goal to record one song a day now that I have better equipment to do it with. Super stoked.

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    I like the Freddy King ... a lot !

8. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks tery! Adding to the list, challenge #218.

Listen to Wait For Me - (Backing Track) ST Improv Challenge #218 by Bluesy1990 #np on #SoundCloud

abnormaltoy and nhsdpl like this.

9. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Deleted.

abnormaltoy likes this.

10. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Finally got around to recording another, burning the midnight oil tonight. One of my personal favorites from ol' Jimi. Backing track courtesy of guitarforce.com!

11. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Another quick one of just messing around over a chord progression.

12. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nice job Dare on Purple Haze. I also like that doodle over the chord progression. Definitely expand on that.

13. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks Mouse! I've been toying around with it a little bit, trying to find some other ways to add in some different licks or phrases. I appreciate it man!

abnormaltoy likes this.

14. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Oh man sorry I missed this one till now, great job on purple haze! Great atmospherics on melancholy too.

15. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    I recorded this this morning, but I think it came out being more just wanking around with G minor pentatonics more than anything. Oh well, I fixed my strat and wanted to blast it through my 1968 Deluxe Reverb and EHX Soul Food.

abnormaltoy and CigBurn like this.

16. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks CigBurn! I appreciate you watching them and listening!

abnormaltoy likes this.

17. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Nice work, hey noodling around is a great way to just open yourself up and get a handle on harnessing a certain sense of freedom in playing. You definitely have the SRV tone pretty nailed down. Thanks for sharing that.

18. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks again! And you are right, it did feel good to just play around a bit without worrying too much about it. I'm just really bad for beating myself up over things I could have played differently, lol. Oh well. And I love that Soul Food pedal, it sounds so amazingly good for the price! Would recommend that to anyone for sure!

abnormaltoy likes this.

19. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    I wanted to play around with the "reverse function on Audacity, and what a better song than one with a reversed solo in it. One take recording, I'm pretty surprised I made it all the way through without making an overly noticeable mistake.

abnormaltoy and Mouse like this.

20. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Here's another quick cover. One of my favorites from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.