Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dave's white strat

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by ToHiForAFly, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    That one is good for me too mate! .... :)

I actually talked about this film with Jet while we driving up to the Marshall factory (though I don't remember the conversation as well as I would have liked)...... surreal!

2. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    WOW! That was a blast into the past...thanks Wayne! And Rockape...how cool is that that you know Jet Harris! Those guys were some of my earliest guitar heroes. Still remember how affected my bandmates and I were that Jet split from the Shadows; they never seemed quite as cool without him.

Thanks gents, for taking me back...surreal indeed!

3. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
  4. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    He was a very cool character indeed (right up to the end).

It was because of him that I got to play Hank's (Bruce's) original '59 Apache Strat; Even got myself pictured with it on a Dutch 60's music website (Jet took the photo, but he inadvertently compressed the file when he sent it to me):

On page 1, Here (click on yellow link, then click on 'Pagina 1'.....WARNING!..keep the volume down on your PC speakers; The (very modern) home page music with harmonica features Jet and myself):

Tijd voor Teenagers beschrijft de sixties ism Wegmanonline Webdesign Maarssen

I am pictured with acoustic guitar in the Journey album section and with Hank's '59 at the bottom of the page (big photo.....Thanks Bruce!).

A little slideshow on page 35 too.

Enough self promotion and hijacking now....sorry!

:)

5. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Yes, Wayne! This is where I first discovered S-T as a Google search brought up that story about the '53 and that led to all this. I found that in 2012 and it was already past the time they were posting...strange how very few of them still seem to log on. Thanks to guys like you and Rock for still being interested in the early Strats.

Rock, I take it that Jet Harris is no longer with us? That is some great info and photos from the Shadows era and totally cool picture of you playing the red Strat! No apologies necessary...this is all a part of the history of these instruments and the musicians and it's great that you know or knew them and were able to play and interact with them!

(Actually, I think I've done most of the thread hijacking by jumping from the Gilmour Strat to the Marvin Strat).:)

6. Pandacaster

Pandacaster Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2014
    PA, US
    The 0001 strat looks beautiful. I wish there was more definite information on it. I think my 60's anniversary classic player with gold hardware and gold anodized pickguard looks pretty close to it. The dessert sand is pretty close in color imo.

7. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Unfortunately, Jet passed away from throat cancer in 2011 (I am honoured to have been a considered his friend, and to have been just a small part of his musical life / career).

For a while, I had all of his guitars here with me at home; he said "play 'em, but don't forget to bring them to the gig!"

Jet and me in Helsinki:

[​IMG]

Sorry! Back to Strat 0001

8. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    pandacaster, would love to see some pics of your strat.:)

Rock it's always a pleasure to see your pics! :D

9. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Here's a cool little video of Hank in the studio with his son. -May,2014
    Makes you want to hear more doesn't it?
    ...and Rock maybe you can answer this one, Hank's original strat had a rosewood neck how come he changed to a maple for his signature strats? I must admit I do like the maple better. And look at all those Fiesta Reds behind him at the end of video!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RqBNIHdFco

10. Pandacaster

Pandacaster Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2014
    PA, US

Here ya go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to be putting a set of D. Allen Echos pickups in it next week hopefully.

11. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Holy cow that's beautiful pandacaster!! I wish you all the luck in the world in the future with that beauty my friend!!

12. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Also a little trivia that amazes me: Can you believe Hank is 73 years old!!
    His birthday was just a few days ago, Oct. 28th.
    In that studio video it looks like he just came off the stage with The Shadows in 1962. lol

13. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Hi Wayne,

Thanks for that link ..... :)

Hank's original (first) Strat was a '59 with a birdseye maple neck (as in the photo of me on the Dutch website playing it).

It had to be specially odered (by Cliff Richard) direct from Fender, becase a trade embargo at that time prevented the import and sales of any Fender guitars in the UK, so it was, in effect, the first Strat in the UK.
    By 1961, the Shadows had matching rosewood slab board Strats.... as in the film clip.

Hank went back to the birdseye maple neck formula, and after a signature model or two, has become associated with that combination again (though any fiesta red Strat has the Hank vibe here in the UK).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  14. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Thanks Rock!
    I found this of Hank's guitars down thru the ages. I wonder whatever happened to his little Guyatone LG50? It isn't in his collection of 1986.

*And look at Cliff in the pic with Hank using it. He looks like he is 12 years old! lol
    (He was actually 18, born just 5 days after John Lennon.)

TVS Specialty Products - GUITARS USED BY HANK MARVIN

15. josephballison

josephballison Strat-O-Master

Oct 20, 2014
    Phoenix AZ
    Whenever I hear Hank Marvin play I just smile and laugh. It is such a joy.

16. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Funny that his 1986 presentation Strat was serial V00002, when this serial range was started in 1982 (in fact I'm sure I have seen a 1982 with the same number......the one presented to Buddy Holly's wife?.... I don't know now, my memory is horrendously bad these days), but they also restarted the 'V0xxxxx' numbers in 1998 (mine was V07xxxx).

Interesting article though, cheers Wayne.

17. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Greetings Wayne, Rock, Joseph and Pandacaster!

Glad to see this thread is still going strong. Thanks for all the great links to the info on Hank's Strats and...cool Desert Sand/anodized pkgd Strat , Pandacaster! My '54 replica partscaster looks a lot like that except for a white finish and nickel hdwre, so in a roundabout way we got back to the DG 0001 Strat. (We should rename this Dave's and Hank's Strats)

All these pictures really take me back to the days in Germany when I was getting started in Rock and Roll. My first band used to play weekend afternoons in a little "Twist Bar" in Stuttgart that would have English bands on tour at night. They would come in and do 6 nighters for 3-4 weeks at a time. Got to meet and hang out with some really cool adult English musicians and they all played Fenders...Strats mostly. There was "Carl Wayne and the Vikings", later to become "The Move", I believe. They had matching sonic blue Strats and bass and wow, were they good! They did a lot of '50s RR, Little Richard, Chuck and Shadows (everybody did Shadows music back then).

The first Strat I ever got to play was the guitarist's for a group called "Somebody (can't remember his name) and the Trenadiers". Really great guitarist and nice chap who let me actually play his Fiesta Red (of course) early '60s Strat and explained to me the workings of the Tremelo system and how the springs gave the sound a little reverb. I had a humble Musicmaster, but a Strat was the dream of things to come.

18. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Gorgeous!!!!

19. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Cool story! .... :)

I wish I had been old enough to see the Shadows live back in 1961 / 62 (I was a toddler back then...lol!!! Made up for it later though!
    I was very 'in' with what was being played on the radio back then (even at such a young age.....I had my own record collection at the age of 4, including 'Diamonds' by Jet Harris).
    I think if I had been offered a go on a fiesta red Strat (at an older age of course) back then, I would have fainted!

For nearly 40 years I had dreamed of owning a Strat from that era (resigned myself to the fact that I would never achieve that ambition), and whaddaya know!...recently I was offered the job as next custodian of a fiesta red 1963 Strat (tough job...lol!); I very nearly did faint when I got the "I am sending you my old '63 Strat" email (ambition achieved!).

20. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.