Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dave's white strat

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by ToHiForAFly, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Buddy's Presentation strat
    Hank's Presentation strat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Found this- jucciz.com

Bill Shultz has V000001 a '57 reissue FRD strat.
    I've also seen '82's with that V serial number too Rock.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  3. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Me too Joseph, he is one where the title 'living legend' is no lie!

4. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    I agree! Hank Marvin and Gilmour are two of my very favorites and were a big influence on my playing through the years. On a side note...let me know if you make it to your brother's and see that picture of the 0001 Strat.

(See how cleverly I got the thread back to the original track)?:)

5. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Wow! I have indeed got over 3,000 posts!!
    Lol!... I hadn't noticed.

Oops! Yes, V000003 (my bad....as they say these days)

6. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Here ya go T G F!!
    I think you're right. Must be the first ever pic of Dave's 0001 strat taken by Mr. Duncan himself!
    Then why did he say he sent Phil a '57? And why is it marked as a '55 in the book?
    btw my book printing is Dec. '77 (2nd printing) 1st printing Aug.'77.
    Just to give you an idea when that photo was taken.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  7. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Alright, you found it! Thanks for posting that picture...sure adds to the mystery. Maybe his memory of all the guitars he worked on is a little hazy...I know I don't remember all the dates from my guitar repair days. Still think that is one cool picture though!

8. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Here's a recent color pic of Dave's for comparison.
    You can see the scratch on the side is the same.
    Hey the whammy has moved in 40 years! lol

Attached Files:

9. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Hope you guys don't mind me posting this link? And I know this is a Dave G thread (and I am a humungous fan of his.....or maybe I'm just humungous...lol!), but I have seen a thousand covers of this tune (probably my most favourite tune of all time) and I was recently pointed in the direction of this guy, who absolutely nails it! (On what appears to be a Japanese Strat too!).

(Btw, he is playing an outake version, so it is correct):

Wonderful Land - The Shadows 1962: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtrpPkYraI

Back 'sort of' on track; I used to play the full version of 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' a few years ago (originally played on Strat 0001 I believe?), in a local band (keyboards the lot); a total self absorbed piece for me, and also very appreceated by our audiences, which isn't always the case when bands play their favourite stuff, so I was very lucky. :)

10. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Fantastic Rock! Thanks for sharing that one.
    Heck no, it's just a Dave-Hank thread now, we just expanded our sharing that's all.
    No one's complaining. lol

11. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I'm still wondering why Phil never mentions Dave's 0001 strat?
    I got out Phil Taylor's 'Black Strat' book last night and there's no mention at all about 0001! A section about all Dave's other strats, but that one! Odd, you would think Dave would be proud to have Phil include that one in the book.
    I also wonder if there was a fire on Dave's boathouse which two strats he would grab first, one in each hand, probably the black one with the Hendrix strap, and then the red one....so goodbye 0001.

12. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Ha ha ha! If he felt that way about it, he better just send 0001 to me. It's been my favorite since first seeing that B&W photo in the late '70s.

Also a big "Atta Boy" to Rock for being able to play "Shine On" onstage. I teach that chord progression to some of my advanced students as an example of stepping out of the box of basic chord theory, using modulations and transpositions, moveable chords, etc. I play the basic signature licks, but almost never play a solo note for note exactly as recorded. I have sat down and worked some up, but when I'm playing I take liberties with all my soloing (it's all in the name of improvisation).;)

13. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Cheers! :)

Yes, the timing is as hard as getting the right feel for the track (for the keyboard player particularly). It took me an awful lot of playing along with Mr Gilmour (not literally unfortunately..lol!) on that beautiful track to get it close to being good enough.
    After a while you start to find little things you have missed, and have to re-embed it into your playing (I used to get totally absorbed in it).

I used to use it as a general practice piece, but I haven't played it for some time now (for some strange reason?).

One of my very favourite guitar solos.

Dave Gilmour was one of my biggest influences.

14. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    FUNNY STORY TIME:
    Now here's something weird that I just thought of, it'll be 43 years ago next Wed. that I first seen Pink Floyd LIVE! Nov.19,1971, at the Syria Mosque here. I had front row seats and what I remember of it is on the song 'Be Careful of That Axe Eugene' was Dave & Roger Waters! Now picture a high school stage because that's all the Syria Mosque was basically. Pink Floyd had these two large light fixtures at each end of the stage setup and the ceiling of the Mosque was maybe 20 ft. high and the light fixtures started to rise at the beginning of the song and they also had fake smoke blowing in from the sides of the stage too. Well mid-song the fixtures hit the top of the ceiling with a large bang and started to wiggle and Roger and Dave looked over at them and then the fake smoke started to get out of hand and you could hardly see them. Then the auditorium lights came on, the Fire Marshall was running around like there was a real fire, yelling! lol And the crowd went nuts loving it! ha-ha
    You had to be there!!
    Something I'll never forget no matter how stoned I was! lol

15. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Now that is a cool story indeed Wayne! ;-)

16. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    I agree...he is one of mine too. The solos often don't sound that difficult until you try to work them out. I still practice the "Comfortably Numb" solos, the Major one in D and minor one in Bm almost daily. His live versions show a bit of improvising on most of his solos, but always "spot on" for the chord pattern. Love that Blues influence he has.

17. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Yes, Wayne!:D

18. old goat

old goat Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2008
    Donner Lake
    When I saw the thread title I assume it meant this Dave and this white strat--a 64.
    [​IMG]
    I've seen him with that guitar at least 10 times over the years, but last time I saw him he was playing a new one--same Olympic white with tortoise shell guard, though.

19. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
  20. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    WOW! Never seen that before. What song was that and from which Pink Floyd album? It sounded vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place it. Jeff Baxter playing w/Gilmour...that was very cool!:)