Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dead A notes across neck

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JimmyO, Jan 13, 2019.

1. JimmyO

JimmyO Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2013
    California
    Hi guys,

About 7 years ago I put together a strat/charvel style partscaster with a Floyd rose. Been one of my favorite guitars and has seen many years of playing. Unfortunately it's developed dead A notes on the D string 7th fret, G string 14th fret and B string 10th fret. Detuning or using the trem just moves the fret position with the A note. I think it may be actual resonance issue as the A note is affected at multiple frets and when using different tunings it is still the A note that is affected. It starts to ring out but has about half the sustain of all other notes and dies off pretty quickly.

I haven't changed anything about the guitar recently so can only think of seasonal changes impacting the guitar, warm dry, cold dry and cold wet Southern California winter.

I've tried with no success:
    - Fat finger
    - Truss rod adjustment (tightened to reduced the relief which seemed a bit high)
    - Raised action
    - intonated all strings
    - removed neck, reinstalled and tightened under sting tension to ensure its snug in the pocket
    - compared decking, blocking and floating the trem
    - lowered and raised pickups (Seymour Duncan passive Humbuckers)

Next steps:
    - Try higher string gauge (I use 9's but could easily move up to 10's)
    - Try new neck
    - Just enjoy the guitar at home and retire from performance
    - Anything else you guys suggest

I've chatted to a local guitar tech and his take was along the fat finger route and dead notes affect guitars with thin necks more, which leads me to thinking about the replacement neck option with a fatter profile like my Strats. The partscaster does have a thin wide Jackson/Ibanez style neck, and I honestly prefer my 57 reissue and American standard strat necks better, less cramping after playing long time.

Would be great to get advice from anyone with similar experience, especially how you were able to solve things. Thanks!

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    It's your amp, probably the speaker.

That's my guess. Have you tried different amps?

3. JimmyO

JimmyO Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2013
    California
    It's not the amp. Tried fender Princeton, fender deluxe and boss katana.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  4. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Push the pole closer to the string.

Hmmm nevermind actually, you moved the pickups. No idea.

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Super weird. Must be some kind of resonant frequency that occurs and mutes the A's. I had an amp that would peter out on certain Gs once.

Seems to me decking the guitar, loosening/tightening strings and things like that would move that resonance around, but you tried that, so I'm baffled. I'd love to see a video of this phenomenon.

6. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    I had a similar issue with a strat copy. I replaced the thin zinc trem block with a brass one from GFS. It moved the dead spot so far up the neck that I will never encounter it in real life. Somebody out there does make a replacement block for Floyds, I just don't remember who.

7. JimmyO

JimmyO Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2013
    California

Thanks man, great suggestion, I already have an upgraded big brass block installed............perhaps if I can find the original block putting that back in it may change the resonance

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    @JimmyO

Not all "upgrades" yield improvements!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

9. JimmyO

JimmyO Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2013
    California
    That's true, though the brass block has been on there for 7 years and the guitar only recently started having the dead notes so it didn't cause the issue. It improved the tone compared to stock.

10. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Why don't you try swapping out the neck for one from another of your strays?

11. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    *Strats, not strays