Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dealing with noise makers at work

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Oct 9, 2017.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I'm not sure if I'm just too easily irritated, but I've been wondering about how to deal with this for a while. At work, there's someone who sits in an adjacent cubicle who likes to crunch ice fairly often, and someone in another adjacent cubicle who likes to pop gum sometimes. Those are the kinds of noises that I find difficult to tune out, and it can be distracting (and I find food-related noises particularly irritating due to a mild disgust factor). I'm wondering what the best way would be to deal with that? Should I calmly confront them about it, or should I write an anonymous note for them, or should I try to tune it out and ignore it? I'm somewhat surprised nobody else has apparently mentioned it.

2. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    I feel your pain, I work near a few people with noisy habits. My only solution so far: headphones and some massive chunky guitar riffs.

I'm quite lucky in my work that its encouraged for me zone into the numbers and avoid distraction so music is an option. I know this might not be the case for all.

3. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Strat-O-Master

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Put an "Icemaker out of order" sign on the office fridge and stick a wad of chewed up gum under one of the wheels of the gum popper's chair.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

4. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    An anonymous note will get you beat to a pulp while walking out after work.

It's time to start doing a better job at work, so you get moved into your own office.

5. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Are headphones an option? How close is the offender (not location-wise, but personally) to the boss? Can anything be done if you complain?

I ask because at a previous employer, we had this obnoxiously loud azzhat, annoying AF, but nothing could be done because his sister was bangin' the VP. They were married, but kept poppin' out kids, so I assume bangin' was going on.

cog513 likes this.

6. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    Yeah, just chill out. If it gets too bad find another job. ENJOY!!!

7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    If that's all you have to worry about you're in good shape. Pop some headphones on and get on with business

SSJR, s5tuart and The Strat Dude like this.

8. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Classic Passive Aggression.

Anonymous won't make any difference.
    They already know it's annoying and to whom.
    It's quite common in 'sheeple' type work environs.

Does your company have a "cubicle etiquette" policy ?
    Ours does and while chewing is not specifically written in, any noise that can be annoying to your neighbour is.

Chewing is in essence a bodily function.
    Maybe try hogging down some spicy 6 bean chili and see how those bodily noises go over.

9. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I want to thank all you guys that work tirelessly and put up with distracting co-workers and continue to pay into social security so some of us can report that there is a life on the other side.

thanks!

10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Send Uncle Buck -

nuculer terrist and Chont like this.

11. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

this is why headphones exist.

I have this group at my work that like to get together and whisper about their weekends, and families. The whispering thing really annoys me, its louder than talking.. its all whisp whisp whisp whisp, I cant stand that kinda ****.

oh, and public transportation while School is in. forget about it.

12. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

How about getting a better relationship with the people around you, then you can talk to them. I like the people I work with and if something is irritating we just holler " hey knock it off " and vice versa.
    We also work in an environment where little noises like that are the least if our worries.

Ebidis likes this.

13. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Aug 22, 2011
    Connecticut
    How about one of those squeeze bulb horns, like Harpo Marx? Or a little electronic fart machine? Every time one of them makes a noise, so do you.

I am SO lucky I never had to work in a cube farm. I would have gone nuts in a week.

Bob the builder likes this.

14. LPBlue

LPBlue Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    I work on a film set...noises are the least of my problems!:D

15. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    The trouble seems to be that you have built it up so much that I suspect even the smallest and insignificant noise will get to you now.
    By getting wound up over it you're only upsetting yourself. How can they know you're upset about it if you don't communicate that fact?
    I suggest you try very hard not to listen. If that fails I suggest that you talk to them about it or get some earbuds and a MP3 player.

ps...an anonymous note is NOT the way to deal with ANYTHING. :)

16. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    I today's fluid work world, you or they will move on soon.

17. nungesser

nungesser down in the bayou down around El Cerrito Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    maybe take a break get up and walk away for a few minutes, I can understand where your coming from though.
    I was working for a guy hanging this slat material for a Boot Barn the place was being set up, so lots of different tradesman there and someones got a radio in the middle of the place blaring that sports talk guy Romey Its been on for a good hour or more and its driving me mental. I decided I had enough and march over and turn the thing off. Everybody in the place starts shouting "Hey!!! "turn that back on" with threats of "If I have to come over there". I pull out my framing hammer brandishing it like a weapon and release a string of expletives and challenging the whole lot of them swinging my hammer around in the air. I tell them if the want to put some music on that's fine but i'm not listening to another second of that bleep, bleep ,bleep, bleep, bleeping garbage. to say the least I kind of freaked out

18. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    just start playing drums with your hands on your desk... it will work

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

19. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Aug 22, 2011
    Connecticut
    Once those bells ring, you can hear a pin drop.

LPBlue likes this.

20. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    Can you describe how it makes you feel with more detail? Does it just break your focus and then you can't avoid listening to it? Or does it start to induce rage and you want to go an shove their head in an ice bucket? Or maybe you just want to get away urgently?

How do you feel if it is close family making eating noises?

I ask because I have a relative dealing with something like this.