Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dealing with noise makers at work

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Do not underestimate me.jpg

Kidding.... sorta! :whistling:

s5tuart likes this.

2. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    I agree with ear buds. This is more a sensitive thing to me. You're more sensitive to noise. Best way is to block it out with other noise.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Don't forget that you also have some habits and noises that annoy them. Don't escalate it to a tit-for-tat feud.

CalicoSkies and s5tuart like this.

4. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

Jun 3, 2016
    Sunderland UK
    It's incredible what seemingly simple things can annoy other people. I spend a lot of time on another forum and a thread regularly crops up entitled "Things workmates do that drive you mad". Amazingly one of the most common ones is people stirring tea or coffee for too long in the kitchen! Obviously other things like getting coffee granules in the sugar, stealing your milk or food out of the fridge, which are totally reasonable, but, stirring your brew??

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

5. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

when i hand over my note to the teller, i'm certainly not going to SIGN it! why then wear a mask?

Ebidis, s5tuart and StillAlive&Well like this.

6. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Doh! You don't have to sign YOUR name!!!! :D

montemerrick likes this.

7. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i think we've solved the OP's problem.:thumb::thumb:

s5tuart likes this.

8. Pretzel

Pretzel Strat-Talk Member

May 25, 2017
    Ohio
    This may help but probably not....
    When I was learning yoga there was a very noisy bunch of people in the hall. The instructor suggested just incorporating the noise and not have it interrupt your thoughts.

Works for me (sometimes) if someone is talking in a movie theather etc

Otherwise headphone

s5tuart and henderman like this.

9. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    I have worked in a couple places with serial throat clearers. Like every 15-20 seconds. It is the pinnacle of intolerable.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

10. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    We had that guy...who also sang (loudly) and made crude jokes (constantly). His voice had just the right timbre to resonate the entire damn office. And, he had this weird smacky thing he did with his lips/gums. I developed minor misophonia from working there...

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

11. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    My solution was a promotion to a position with an office :D I have walls and a door. The only time it gets noisy is when my neighbour is doing a teleconference on speakerphone... then the headphones come out for me. I don't mind though... she's an awesome person so I'll let her have a few noisy times.

I spent some time in a co-workers cube last week and was amazed that the amount of background noise from informal discussions, phone calls, keyboards, etc.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

12. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Being around close family eating doesn't bother me. But that and some other noises, particularly in some settings which should normally be fairly quiet (such as a work environment), is fairly annoying. Noises from food wrappers is sometimes annoying as well. I suspect it may be a condition known as misophonia:
    http://www.misophonia.com/symptoms-triggers/

13. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    Yes, I was thinking about misaphonia, and we have a member of the family who is affected. One problem is that this can be quite a severe disturbance for some yet it is only just being acknowledged as something more than just irritation.

14. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I happened to notice that Kelly Ripa complained several times on-air that the monitors were too loud.
    I initially took it as Diva-ish or unprofessional, after all what soundman wants to be chastised openly and repeatedly on national TV ?
    The wiki page mentions that she has misophonia.