Join Strat-Talk Today

Dean Ween inspired Strat assembly

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RichieS, Sep 29, 2016.

1. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

I recently rescued this abused E Series MIJ Strat from a pawn shop (where it was not working) and restored to its past glory:

strat 1.jpg

I was thinking of flipping it, but there's a huge crack in the back and I have gotten zero interest from Craigslist. Not too much of a surprise- I would never buy a cracked guitar from craigslist.

But now I'm thinking of swapping the pups, and blocking the trem so it has similar specs as Dean Ween's "Magical 61 Strat". So now I just need a SD hot rails for the bridge and a couple of Fender Lace sensors for the neck and middle.

I doubt I'm going to paint the guitar Dakota red, so it'll just have to stay black.

I'd also read that Deaner puts brass shims under the saddles (he says they improve sustain?), I was thinking about doing that as well; why not, right?

Any Ween fan's are welcome to leave additional info on Dean's Stratocaster- I'd appreciate it!

Attached Files:

Otisblove, Tazz3 and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

Sounds cool, good luck! :thumb: Ween are an amazing band IMO.

RichieS likes this.
  3. Tazz3

Tazz3 Strat-O-Master

Nice job,thank for saveing her

RichieS likes this.
  4. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

They are great! I've got tix to see them in October. This project is me getting pumped for the show

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Nothing more noble than saving a good guitar

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

Cool! Would love to see them this side of the globe at some point. Enjoy the show Richie! :cool:

RichieS likes this.
  7. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master

That guitar looks pretty brown to this Ween fan.

RichieS likes this.
  8. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

I ordered the hot rails pup this morning and thats gonna arrive early next week.

I also found 3 different sets of Fender Lace sensor pups: The red/silver/blue set, the gold, and the hot gold- so I spent the morning browsing the internet to find out which Deaner uses. Found lots of interviews and other info on the Strat but they only mention that the pups are lace sensor not the exact model. And in all the close up pictures of Dean's strat, the logos on the pups are long worn off.

http://www.chocodog.com/chocodog/strat.htm (this site had the best pics)

I think the gold sensors and hot gold came out later and are supposed to sound more vintage, so I suspect Dean uses the blue and silver (the neck and middle pups). If I'm right, and the red/silver/blue set did come out first, seems they are more likely to have been used in Dean's guitar. The silver and blue sensors are hotter and seem like they would go better with a hot rails in the bridge anyway... we'll see

Anyhow, wanted to share my thoughts in case anyone has some inside info on Dean Ween's preferred lace sensors. I'll post update pics when I install the pups next weekend

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

The wiring harness and replacement pickguard arrived today, and the pickups arrived last week so assembly day is rapidly approaching.

I found a brown tortoise shell pickguard that was only $10 so my new plan is to replace all the electronics and just swap out the pickgaurds.

I have rehearsals tonight and tomorrow so I won't be able to work on the guitar til Thursday evening and Friday (the day of the Ween show). I hope this pleases Boognish

10. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Finally put her all together today and she's working great! I've just played it through a practice amp so far, but OMG that Hot Rails pup is not something to mess around with. It's got so much friggin output that it could melt your face if not used responsibly.

Also I saw my first two Ween shows on Fri and Sat. It was amazing! Deaner was on fire- especially on Saturday he absolutely killed it. Last pic is one I took during "Joppa Road"

Attached Files:

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Strat-O-Master

The Boognish approves!

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. Phasehound

Phasehound New Member!

Hey! I'm doing something similar with Hot Rails and Lace Sensor Gold pickups from an American Deluxe strat that I removed the S1 switch from. Could you possibly give me a wiring lowdown of how you achieved the Deaner sound?

13. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Daft Funk Gold Member

This thread reminded me of this amazing video. Love that the Deaner cops to ripping Dickey Betts licks. Those major pentatonics always sound so sweet. Also, killer build to the OP!

ChukkerNation and Fendereedo like this.
  14. PawnShopStrat

PawnShopStrat Strat-Talk Member

Was watching a Ween video on Youtube this AM about the Dakota Red Strat, and I wondered if anyone had tried to build one like it, or found out what the specs on it are. Nice to see that the OP and others are similarly inspired. Fender shy about a production run of replica? Squier should make a Ween Signature Strat, one color only, in a limited run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.