Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Deciding On Pickups-NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by JMasella, Jan 12, 2018.

1. JMasella

JMasella New Member!

Jan 12, 2018
    Michigan
    Trying to decide on pickups for my MIM strat.

I'm looking for a thicker tone with some quack that still has decent output with them. Been thinking of the fat 50s...thoughts? I haven't been able to get a guitar with those pickups in my hands so I'm curious to hear from people who have. And, are there better pickups that match my wants??

-Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Er, your MIM pup are pretty hot. Keep em.

stratobiker likes this.

3. JMasella

JMasella New Member!

Jan 12, 2018
    Michigan
    Well, mine don't seem to be too hot right now. Besides, I want something with more quack and character than the MIMs, ie. 50s tone.

4. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    50s tone is opposite from hot.

I reccommend a little more research on your part. I realize youre asking for advice but Im not convinced you know what you want.

Sorry if I sound unsympathetic.

Rastus, TheDuck and Bodean like this.

5. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Put on some earbuds and dial up some pups on Youtube.
    You can get at least some idea of what they will sound like.
    It's your guitar. Your choice. It will take some time but research it.

6. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

The hotter you get, the more quack you lose, as mids take over from highs and a different set of frequencies are 'phased'. Pickups that are built like they were in the 50s will quack for days, but they aren't hot at all.
    So you have to decide on the power vs quack ratio. What is more important to you?

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    How do we know that until we know which MIM Strat he has? He hasn't told us, has he? Standard? Classic Series 50s? Classic Player 60s?

We don't have all the relevant information.

Ebidis likes this.

8. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Rastus and Seymour Duncan like this.

9. JMasella

JMasella New Member!

Jan 12, 2018
    Michigan
    Fat 50s put out about 6k-6.3k, I understand thats not hot but its hotter than the other "vintage" pups. My strat's pups don't seem to be that hot. Could be a bad batch, but compared to other strats i've heard mine don't seem to be putting out much. I was recommended texas specials at first, which put out up to 7.1k but I looked into them and people say they are very bright and chimey. So thats why i'm looking for something thats a little thicker but still has some decent output. I NEVER SAID I WANTED HOT PUPS. Just something with decent output behind it, which is why I came to the fat 50s and now i'm asking for peoples personal opinions on them, which so far i have not gotten.

10. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I’d recommend Rose pickups. You might like the Robusta set and you can certainly ask Ken for winding them a bit more so they are slightly more hot than vintage. They are thick with plenty of character. I tried a few guitars with Fat 50’s and I liked the clean tones, but not the overdrive. The Robustas will cost you $70....Welcome to the forum:) there is a lot of knowledge around here and some really neat people.

11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    And yet you still haven't told us which Mexican Strat you have, nor which pickups are in it now....

12. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Lollar Specials or Seymour Duncan pickups are where I’d be looking first.

Seymour Duncan has a wide variety and you can probably dial in exactly what you want. You can mix and match Lollar sets to get you where you wanna get to there. There are tons of other builders and winders out there who are great, but those two get my endorsement and my recommendation.

chrimturn likes this.

13. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Fender Custom Shop 69s

If you want a hotter bride pup with any other Neck/Middle pup? This would be my choice.

Duncan SSL 1C DG Custom Shop Scatterwound Bridge, but it may take quack away.

Klein 56s

Fender 57/62 set

Nate D and gibsonsmu like this.

14. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    This is my issue with strats in general. I want big balls and chime and quack. Why is it so difficult?

I think the right amp has more than a little to do with the equasion.

mabley123 and Nate D like this.

15. railroadman

railroadman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    Hey, @JMasella- Welcome to the Strat-Talk Monkey House!

From what you're saying you're looking for, tone-wise, I think a set of Fat '50s would be a great choice. I've got a set dropped into a Classic '50s Strat, and I love 'em. Vintage chime, quack and sparkle, but w/a nice velvety push to the mids. They step up nicely to gain and dirt, too. Fender nailed it w/these, IMHO.

As I'm sure you've seen, if you ask a hundred of our brothers and sisters here on S-T for pickup suggestions, you're gonna get a hundred and one different responses. Also, be aware that if the pickup-swap bug gets ya, you're gonna probably end up trying every one of the above pups- and then some- over time, anyway. That being said, as a Fat '50s user myself, I say: absolutely go for it!:thumb:

16. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

It is that physics thing again. A solution is to get vintage pickups, but boost them with a pedal when you need it. Or get active pickups.

Nate D and Rastus like this.

17. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    ATM my mim strat is being upgraded with Duncan ssl1s and an ssl5 in bridge. So 50's sort of sound in neck and a bit more output in the bridge. Look those up. The stock bridge pup in newer mim bridges I find pretty hot. Anyways look up the ssl1s or California 50's they're called and maybe the ssl5 for the bridge.

Seymour Duncan likes this.

18. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    custom shop 69's will get you there. My personal opinion but you don't need hotpicks. You don't Need "fat" anything. There is a big pressure for hot pickups like it's cool or something. For what you're looking for less is more. Hotter is darker. The higher inductance removes highs. I'd get the custom shop 60's lower output. That said you haven't mentioned the height of your pickups and that will make a HUGE difference. Try lowering the ones you have in it down to the pickguard and turn up your Amp.

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    OK, here is my personal opinion on Fat '50s.

I have had an American Standard Strat with Fat '50s for a little over 2 years now, and I really like them. They are actually some of the best Strat pickups I have ever used (IMHO)

Similar in output to Texas Specials, but more vintage vibe, with a really nice low end, and a nice clear top. Not as mid range focused as Texas Specials, I find them to be a great all around Strat pickup, very dynamically responsive, and really good for bluesy crunch, and classic rock tones.

I can do Hendrix, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, whatever, all night long, and I love the sound coming from my Strat.

They are never going to drive a crystal clean amp into overdrive, but the work great with an amp that is designed to get dirty (like most EL34 based tube amps), and work great with pedals.

They are beautiful, classic sounding (IMHO) Strat pickups.

Here are some sound samples (of course you don't have to listen to the whole thing, just a few seconds of each vid will give you the gist of the tone) to give you an idea of what they can do:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

20. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

Opinions are aplenty on this subject, and there are many who play better than me who don't agree with me so my opinion may just be my own. And to top all of that off the style of music, the amp the pedals , some guitars just sound different than others, etc, etc.
    All of that aside I prefer at least in the bridge position beefy wound pickup (if not a humbucker) everything else can be worked with and EQed.
    Fat 50s are a fine set but they are pretty vintage. My favorite strat pups are more stout than that. Good luck.

Rastus likes this.