Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Delay Pedals

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Kurt Villella, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Kurt Villella

Kurt Villella Strat-Talker

Feb 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I know there have been quite a few threads on this, but I wanted to see what everyone is still using for delay pedals. I am in the market for one and looking for recommendations. I generally play blues/blues-rock/southern rock. I'm really not too interested in a delay pedal with a ton of features. Longer delay intervals and lots of repeats is not my thing. If you have seen the episode for Matt Schofield on "That Pedal Show" this is exactly what I am going for. Almost a slap-back that fattens/thickens my sound. Matt uses a Deep Blue Delay which I am considering but these are discontinued and used ones are a little pricey for me. I'd Like to be under $100. Suggest away!!!

2. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York

3. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    I have only used the Boss waza craft dm-2w analog delay and liked it very much.
    You have the traditional Boss analog delay mode which can be very subtle, almost like a reverb and you also have the more modern options to select with an external toggle. Very versatile.
    Can be had for around $100-110 used on reverb.

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    for what you want either a Carbon Copy or a Memory Toy/Boy. Perfect for slap back and thickening up your sound. I just got a Catlinbread Belle Epoch but they are double your price range and take some time to dial in as they work like a real Echoplex but it's worth it to me for that vintage delay sound of Jimmy Page, Eric Johnson, Gilmour and tons of others I love.

5. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    I've been using a Flashback X4 for a while. It gets the job done and is versatile but I'm really wanting an El Capistan.

But to describe what you're after and also very similar to the Deep Blue delay is the Way Huge Aqua-Puss. While it's certainly cheaper than the the Deep Blue Sky, it's still around $150 new. Could find a used one for under $100.

If you're wanting new, it may be difficult to find a delay pedal under $100 but you'd be hard pressed to find a better delay pedal in that price range than the Flashback mini delay.

6. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I use an old Ibanez DDL. Sounds awesome. It can do longer delay times, up to 1.8 seconds I think, as well as hold but I use it as a slapback kinda thing. I use it instead of reverb. They have been out of production for 30 years or so but there are plenty around still for well under your budget.

7. Kurt Villella

Feb 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Do you find that the flashback changes the tone of the guitar? If so is it darker, brighter, etc?

8. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I like my carbon copy for slap back.

9. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    The settings I use the most of my X4 are Analog, 2290, and Tape. All of these have different tonal characteristics. The analog of course has a warmer delay. The tape setting has the tape echo thing going and is fairly mellow. The 2290 is pretty clean and bright, like a digital delay. I use them all depending on what I'm after.

As for the Flashback mini, it just has one standard setting which I believe is based on the Tape style. Not dark but not bright, comparatively speaking. And no, I didn't find that it altered the dry guitar tone at all.

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I love, love, love, this one for slap-back, and subtle thickening of the sound. Pure analog goodness.

IMG_1390.JPG

circles and Cerb like this.

11. Kurt Villella

Feb 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the Green Rhino and Red Llama, seems like if I add another than Way Huge should sponsor me right? I play a ton, but I guess my audience (mostly myself and anyone else in the house) is lacking what it takes to get an endorsement deal.

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    IME all delays change your tone. Digital ones brighten it because the echoes are so crisp they add some high end and analog ones tend to darken your tone as they roll off highs on the repeats. If you are using slapback it will likely always be on so you can adjust your tone accordingly. The flashback is cool especially with the toneprint but probably way more features than you want per your original post. The Aqua Puss is an awesome analog delay and great for slapback but has a max delay time of 330 ms so it's very limited if it's your only delay. If you want to do any Pink Floyd or EJ stuff you need around 440 ms. The carbon copy and memory toy can do 600-660 ms and the CC can be had for around $90 used and memory toys are around $80new and $50 used.

13. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    Two suggestions.....
    1) EHX Memory Toy
    Very overlooked analogue delay.
    This is one of the best organic sounding delays at any price.
    I highly recommend it....it just sounds right and beat every other delay I tried at the time (Canyon, flashback, etc.etc.).
    Nails the hendrix red house delay and doesn’t alter your base tone.
    Not a lot of features but sounds fantastic....inspiring piece of gear.

2) Used Catalinbread Montavillian ($100)
    I have never seen a negative review of this anywhere and rightfully so.
    I had seen so many positive reviews that when a friend suggested it I just bought one.
    It is a simple straight ahead delay with a warm tube sound.
    The preamp in this thing is just magic with a strat.
    First pedal I ever purchased that changes your base tone in a positive way.
    I haven’t shut mine off since I put on my board....when you do shut it off your guitar sounds boring in comparison....
    It just adds a subtle tone enhancement that is hard to explain.
    The delay sounds very early Led Zep....Jimi Page...

Stratoskater likes this.

14. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    The cheap TC Electronic Echobrain does short, out-of-the-way delay very well.

It sits on my board behind a Vapor Trail for longer delay sounds.

The HoTone analog delay is also really good for it's price.

You really don't need to spend more than $40-$50 for this kind of sound.

15. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Way to give me GAS! :(

16. Mesaman

Mesaman Strat-O-Master

Oct 20, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    Donner Yellow Fall for the budget.

17. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Any delay You here on my tracks on the challenge, and jam threads is the Aqua-Puss.

Cerb likes this.

18. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Not helping.

19. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    For you users of high gain out there, the Boss DD3 is hard to beat for a digital delay.

Stratoskater likes this.

20. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It's my favorite analog delay that I've ever owned.

Also, if you turn up the feedback, you can get those cool self oscillation spaceship noises. :D

Cerb likes this.