Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Deluxe strat 2003-4 OR HSS strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strato-mania, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Strato-mania

Strato-mania New Member!

Nov 9, 2017
    Cardiff
    I'm looking at buying this guitar. Selller says it's a 2003-4 USA Deluxe strat. I know many people call the HSS Strat a deluxe. How can I tell the difference? Both models have the s1 switch. This guitar doesnt have the fancy fretboard dots my friends deluxe has. It doesnt have the cutaway at the heal like other simlare aged deluxe models too. Nor does it have the locking tuners that ive seen on deluxe strats for years. Thats what makes me think this might be a HSS and not a deluxe??? s-l400.jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (1).jpg

john lavelle likes this.

2. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    That appears to be an American Standard. No contoured heel, no locking tuners but you say it has the S 1 switch. Maybe it's a modification. It sure is pretty though!

3. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Looks like an American Standard HSS to me....and it also looks pretty friggin sweeeeeet. I bet it's a ripper.

4. Strato-mania

Strato-mania New Member!

Nov 9, 2017
    Cardiff
    Ah ok. Thanks for the info buddy. There are 2 chips on the guitar and a few minor scratches. Their asking £720 here in uk. Not such a good price if its not a deluxe and its not in perfect condition.

john lavelle likes this.

5. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    Anytime....and I do agree with your sentiments. For that kind of money it should be a little more pristine. Best of luck!. I have had both an Am Deluxe and Am standard. Both great guitars. Let us all know when you pull the trigger on one. We love a new guitar day!

6. Strato-mania

Strato-mania New Member!

Nov 9, 2017
    Cardiff
    I love sienna bursts but I must have me a deluxe. My friend just got himself a deluxe and I have to at least equal it lol. Cheers guys.

john lavelle likes this.

7. Strato-mania

Strato-mania New Member!

Nov 9, 2017
    Cardiff
    My mates deluxe. Anyone know what the finish is called? received_1377407272372156.jpeg received_1377407289038821.jpeg received_1377407272372156.jpeg received_1377407322372151.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

8. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Yes, that is an American Series HSS Strat - from roughly August of 2003 until the end of 2007 (when the "American Series" was updated and the "American Standard" name restored) this model did have the S-1 switch. When the revised American Standards came out in January 2008 they had removed the S-1 switch (but retained the same pickups - 2 Tex-Mex single coils and a Fender Diamondback humbucker).

Because they had the S-1 a lot of people do wind up mis-identifying that model as an American Deluxe.

9. Strato-mania

Strato-mania New Member!

Nov 9, 2017
    Cardiff
    Thanks for the info. Seems to me every other strat deluxe I see for sale is not a deluxe. Some are plain standard models with no s1, no cutaway heal, standard fender tuners, standard bone nut and standard pups. Some people have added the n3 pups and call it a deluxe. Some add the s1. Some call it a deluxe just because it's a rare or less common colour. I have a standard wine red mex which i put fender noiseless pups on. Is it now a duluxe? Lol

10. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City

11. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    American Deluxe serial numbers started with DZ.

12. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    True. I should point out that only the HSS American Deluxes had the roller nut from the factory; the SSS models did not. Plus of course Fender had changes to the American Deluxes along the way:

Version 1 (1998-2003): Vintage Noiseless pickups, no S-1 switching, no cutaway heel until some time in the middle of 2002 (and it took to the end of the year for all colors to migrate to the cutaway heel), blue/green abalone dots on both rosewood fingerboards and maple fingerboards.

Version 2 (2004-2009): SCN pickups, S-1 switching added, all have the cutaway heel, still have the abalone dots.

Version 3 (2010-2015): N3 pickups, S-1 switching, HSS now gets the "passing lane" button switch that bypasses the controls/settings and gives you the humbucker at full volume, now has the compound radius fingerboard, now has pearl dots on rosewood fingerboards and black pearl dots on the maple fingerboards.

As we all know the American Deluxes were replaced by the American Elites for 2016 - and among the other changes they dropped the roller nut from the HSS models.

Only from 2000-2009; the 1998-1999s had serial numbers that started with DN - Fender added the extra "D" prefix to the "normal" N-for-1990s or Z-for-2000s serial numbers. In 2010 they stopped with the "D" prefix and the American Deluxes (and now American Elites) just use the same numbers as the American Standards/American Professionals.

13. Strato-mania

Strato-mania New Member!

Nov 9, 2017
    Cardiff
    Thanks for everyones input. Loving all this strat knowledge. Fascinates me. Need to delve deeper into this site. Cheers guys.