Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Did hipsters ruin music???

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Dec 1, 2017.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    All of them.

If you don't have a cellphone, you can't communicate by text (kids never make voice calls).

If you don't have Xbox subscription, you can't play with your friends.

If you don't rent a limo for Prom, you won't get a date to go with you.

If you don't go to Starbucks, you won't actually see your friends outside of school

ZlurkCorzDog and abnormaltoy like this.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Again, not seeing any of this as necessary.

I never had a cell phone until I was in college.

The Ech-Box sucks anyways. Get a PC with Steam instead, plenty of games need only an internet connection to play against others. Never in my life have video games ever been a required thing though.

I borrowed my dad's truck, picked my date up, and drove to prom.

While I did go to Starbucks, it was on the weekends to hang out. That's when you saw your friends outside of school, the week was for football practice, band rehearsals, homework, and chores around the house. Sometimes I even got some sleep.

3. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Dec 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know whether or not hipsters ruined music, but I know that a lot of my friends have some distressingly pathetic tastes in music, lol.

4. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Kids do not use a phone for voice calls (unless they have to call Grandma for her birthday).

99% of teen communication is through Text, Snapchat, Tweets - it's a different world out there than when you and I were a kid.

55% of teen gaming is done through consoles, 35% through cell phones.

You can't tell a teen where the cool games are, only their friends can tell them, lol.

5. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I just knew you were a hipster in disguise!

nuculer terrist likes this.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This is a great rant.

Language warning!
    Some F bombs are dropped, if listening at work, you may want to use headphones.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

7. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    If you want to get into Maslow's Hierarchy, none of the above...but there are other socioeconomic factors at play that, while not necessary to sustain a human life, make certain niceties and luxuries "required" for a life within modern society. One example being the internet itself, being recognized by the UN as a basic human right.

Would you be willing to give up the internet completely, as it's not necessary for your survival? I certainly wouldn't.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I agree, which is why it boggles my mind that we don't consider internet access a utility in the US and regulate it like gas or electricity. These days it's nearly as vital, but when Ajit Pai gets his way...

Green Craig and vid1900 like this.

9. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    All of December I thought that Hipsters had ruined music, and then today on NPR they said that Glassjaw had released a new album .

Music is not ruined.

No 100 year old Robert Johnson covers, no duets with Bono, no Auto-tune, just 12 challenging tracks of Nu/Jazz/Rock .

If you are ready for adventure, strap on your headphones boys:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F56FQ9/?tag=strattalk05-20

10. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Well... uhm... That was interesting...

11. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Especially when you consider that this is the singer's other band:

12. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Music isn't ruined, you just need to know where to look. There's so much more diffused as years ago that it's sometimes like searching for a needle in a haystack.
    But I bet all your parents have had the same discussions changing "hipsters" to "beatniks", "hippies", "punks", generation "X", "Y", "Z"...

There are only 2 certainties:
    1. MTV killed the radio star
    2. Youtube killed all the rest

Ebidis likes this.

13. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    Hipsters? No, nobody takes them seriously anyway.

Corporations? Beatles were on Parlophone, a division of EMI an enormous monolith of a corporation which was the norm. Exceptions like Joe Meek were rare. Only in the late 70s did they start to get challenged. Now artist can bypass the corps through other media.

The recording and charts are dominated by this formulaic stuff, but the unknowns doing the same stuff can't get a live gig. Tribute bands and nostalgia acts are dominating the live scene below the contract-supported artists who tour the big theatres, arenas and stadiums.

If an act wants a support slot on a big tour- to be the act that nobody came to see and everyone talks through then they have to pay the promoter big money for the slot.

The music is still there, but it's easier to sell an image than it is to sell that primal beat.

I know it's not the old folk moaning because in the past the music used to disturb and scare the old folk. Now it doesn't do that at all, the old folk are just despairing at how wimpish and wet the new mainstream music is - which is a completely different effect.

There is a reason that old guys in their 70s can easily sell out a stadium tour and get asked to headline the big festivals.

14. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think you nailed it. The paradigm has shifted. Music is not dying, but the music industry and the big corporate labels are, and it's their own blatant push for mediocrity that is killing them.

15. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    It's the corporations man!!!!! Hippies. Music is what you listen to. I don't give a **** what is on the radio or the Grammys or whatever other garbage is out there. I listen to what I want to when I want to. It's actually a lot better these days because it's cheap and it's everywhere. Do any of you define what you like by what is popular? I know, everyone here walked up hill both ways to school. This is a debate that keeps rolling forward every generation. Hendrix rules!

Duotone likes this.

16. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Over 2000 views in 1 day? Wow, guess I stirred up the pot this time lol.

17. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    There are very few examples of hipster music in this thread?
    What years are we talking about, what part of the culture?

There are hipsters plaing bluegrass. Playing country, Playing blues, playing RnB, playing rock, playing metal, playing classical music. Is there a common trait that ruin all these genres.

Posers ruin music any decade!

18. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I'm really jealous of the TV viewership from the 70s where everyone watched the same TV shows. Who killed JR LOL?

19. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    I can't say I know jackdoodle about Hipsters or their music, but music has been
    ruined for a long time , so maybe it was music what ruined the Hipsters .
    Either way, the world is almost unlivable now :whistling:

20. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    I don't believe that things are ruined. It just that the good music don't hit the charts that often. If you look at the top ten thru the 1960s and 70s top of the pop stuff. Engelbret Humperdinch anyone?