Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Did you ever not know what guitar to want?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by TangerineDog, Sep 9, 2018.

1. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I have enough dust collectors as it is ........

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    No. I have struggled with which guitar to want first, though...

abnormaltoy and s5tuart like this.

3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I've fought off the urge to buy something just for the sake of buying something. It's a massive gray area though...with multiple guitars in my collection, what more could I need?

Anything I'd "need" would have to be something different than what I already have, otherwise it would be redundant and pointless in my view.

For the past couple of years I've been on the lookout for a tele and a Gibson lp with P90's. Last year a great deal popped up for a G&L ASAT tribute ($300) and I jumped on it. This year I stumbled on a new LP model with P90's that was quite a bargain in my eyes ($900) and after mulling it over for a few weeks jumped on it.

Because I'm at a point where I can appreciate how these guitars sound different, I feel as though it's worthwhile.

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I deffo know what guitar I DON"T want!

I have 2 guitars left from my, what was, rather nice collection. I need nothing else.
    My LP is a beautiful thing to behold (ymmv) and the Fly can do everything from quack to hum bucker to acoustic!

If the right SG Custom or 25th Anniversary Strat came knocking I would be tempted, and I'm sure there are others lurking out there that I would drool over, but I'm done as far as mainstream GAS goes.

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I think you're conflating needs vs. wants. :sneaky:

Regarding your challenge, once I had all the sounds I knew I wanted to cover, I didn't force it, but will respond to a particular guitar in my hand, though I usually know kinda what I'm looking for (from a list of course!) but have no idea if I'll find something in a week or a year or more.

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    An eye opener because I realize I have spent a ton of money, I realize I have guitars I never really think about, and also because after showing my wife the details she simply says," you're not planning on dying are you?" Not a word about the money I have tied up. Plus 10 points for the wife's response

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    ...a Tele.
    An old school, no nonsense country machine.

Whenever I play stuff that ain't rock, country-ish is where my fingers take me.

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois

9. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    I’m very honest about my guitar addiction. I have 2 Strats, 1 Tele and 1 Les Paul. I can play all the styles of music I like with them. I’m not GAS’ing for another electric guitar at this time but I know I will at some point in the future. When I do I won’t invent an excuse to buy it. I will buy it simply because I want it.

Stratbats and abnormaltoy like this.

10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Hmm, if you don't know what guitar you want...it may be that you don't want the guitars you have. An urge to fill a void, any void....there's just something missing. I'd see what you don't like about what you already have.

Then, go buy another amp, that's more likely to be a bigger change than a new guitar!

JustABluesGuy likes this.

11. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    The more I play the better I get at getting the sounds I want from the ones I have. So my interest in new guitars has evolved along with that. I guess if I'm being honest I'd say a beat looking relic of a tele is probably on my radar, but mostly I'm set.

abnormaltoy likes this.

12. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    My basic problem is summed up thusly:
    I don't have a Les Paul. I don't necessarily need one and I'm not even sure I want one...but I don't have one. You see the dilemma?

abnormaltoy likes this.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I guess I'm weird, because I don't buy into the "certain guitars for certain styles" school of thought.

I have several guitars of different types, but I usually take only one to band practice, and two (main and backup) to a gig. I just use knobs and switches to get different sounds to cover different styles.

So for me, anything new comes down to want, and not need.

YMMV

14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    There have been times I've wanted a guitar, but I'll wait on it and end up feeling like I don't really have a strong want for it after all. I suppose waiting is a way to avoid wasting money or buyer's remorse. For the past couple years or so, I've thought about buying either a G&L ASAT Classic Alnico S or a Gretsch Duo-Jet, but I often go back to playing the guitars I already have and I feel fairly satisfied.

Strat Jacket and abnormaltoy like this.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Dammit, you had to go and remind me... And I’ve been doing so good lately, too.

16. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    The Force is strong in this one.

17. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Simple - it's perfect as it is.
    I've arrived at a point with all my guitars where they feel so right, sound so good, look so good that I don't want to change anything.
    But I really miss having something to tinker with.

SachaPlusDeluxe and abnormaltoy like this.

18. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day

Like I said... Ones kind of like this keep poking me in the back of the head.

Attached Files:

Strat Jacket and abnormaltoy like this.

19. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes. I've been frustrated about not being able to get quite what I want for my guitar.

I know I want an S-type of some kind, but I'm amazed at the combinations you can order from Fender. For instance, I might like everything from a certain model,but then when I pick the maple neck, I can't get that color. Or it's all good, but it's only offered without a whammy. Do I want easier upper fret access? Sorry, Elite only.

That's why I'm saving for a custom build. By the time I'm up near $2K, and not really getting what I want, I don't mind kicking in some more for one built exactly the way I want.

20. Stratbats

Stratbats Strat-Talker

Feb 16, 2018
    WV
    FENDER Stratocaster. Since 1980, always and forever. The heart wants what the heart wants. (Lets not mention the Tele that I know is out there with my name on it.)

abnormaltoy likes this.