Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Didn’t pass the audition thankfully!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by JustABluesGuy, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Have you ever been glad that you didn’t get a gig?

Several of my long time, previous musical collaborators have moved away leaving me searching for people to play with, so I decided to check out some CL ads seeking people. I got a bite with the first ad I responded to, and we talked on the phone for 15-20 minutes, and then setup a meeting at his place.

When I got there we talked a little more and then played a little bit. It was fun enough, and he was a pretty nice guy, but not quite as good as I was expecting from our previous conversation, and I was looking to find players at my level or preferably above it. The people he says he was playing with do only covers, and I prefer to do a mix of covers and originals as well...

I didn’t feel like we would “really” click socially or musically, but I thanked him for having me over, and he texted me soon after to say that he’d had fun and “liked my chops” and would give me a call later in the week. I thanked him again for having me over, but was kind of hoping he wouldn’t call.

I wanted to be offered the gig, even though I had decided I probably wouldn't accept it. At the same time I didn't want to have to turn him down either.

Fortunately he actually got a gig with a different group himself, and so that was that. I congratulated him, and wished him well and it was a good networking experience, but I am glad that I got turned down.

Time to make some more calls!

Anyone else been relieved not to get a gig, or turned down a gig you have been offered?

Tell me your story!

Nubs, Borgatomic and circles like this.

2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Just be glad it wasn't the bass player with no bass amp trying to lure you in to joining his Pawn Balls Blues Band. :D

And yes - been there, done that, gave the band t-shirt away.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    At least twice I've been in auditions with bands I'm glad I didn't get. No real story, I could just tell at the audition that the band wasn't really my thing.

Borgatomic and JustABluesGuy like this.

4. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

Mar 21, 2011
    Nature Coast Florida
    I've been invited to play bass with a country rock band. I've never played that genre but the song list all seemed straight forward. A guitar player friend of mine hooked up with this guitar player and drummer. He told me that they're OK/sane people. I guess they listened to some of my playing on Soundcloud and said "bring him in".

I've been out of it for awhile now and am not sure I want to do it (gig) again. I told them I'm not looking to rehearse twice a week and play out every weekend. I told them to give me the charts, I'll learn the parts and we'll rehearse enough to gel it. They said OK. Evidently it's really hard to find bass players that are compatible with society and social norms. Are we really that weird?

Anyway, we'll see how they react when this 65 year old player shows up with a 50 year old Showman amp with a 15" tone ring cabinet stuffed with a Lansing bass transducer (look at my avatar) and a 48 year old Jazz Bass. More to follow...

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Even the bands I actually joined have never really suited me. Probably says a lot about me.

SSJR and JustABluesGuy like this.

6. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Pawn Balls Blues Band ! Love it.

johnnymg likes this.

7. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    It does have a nice ring to it? :)

Groovey likes this.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka R.P.M. (Retired Professional Musician) Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    I've packed up and left after one song.
    I've turned down gigs on call backs.
    Life is too short, and there are too many other things you do that you don't want to do to take a gig that doesn't work for you. :)

9. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Fezz, you're free-flowing some blues lyrics tonight:

I've packed up and left after one song
    I've turned down gigs on call backs [that were just wrong]
    Life is too short, and there are too many other things you do
    You don't wanna take a gig that doesn't work for you

:):cool:

10. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Two horrible bands I’ve auditioned for..

30 Seconds to Mars and Limp Bizcuit!

11. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Good thing you didn't make the cut! ;)

:)

12. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    How do you know he didn't ?
    ;) x2

13. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Ahem... well, I'm sure he made the cut —( :) FH has the skillz! )— but instead chose not to have 30 seconds of fame Limping into Mars on a previously frozen and then-thawed Bizcuit!"

PS: I wuz kidding yall :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

14. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    Fred: So T...are you willing to do it all for the nookie?
    T: Nookie? I get plenty of that. I do it all for the music.
    Fred : I don't get it?
    T : Exactly.

15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the feedback Fez. I agree completely. I’m one f those late starting, intermediate (at best) players, and this one of the first “real?” auditions I’ve done.

The previous people I’ve played with already knew me (co-workers) when I took it up, and they pulled their guitars out of mothballs to play with me.

It was just a weird (new) situation for me. I’m still a little bummed that I didn’t get to turn “him” down even though I was struggling with how I would do it without burning bridges.

It did turn out for the best for both of us! I just hope he was being honest with his feedback and not just “letting me down easy” so to speak!

Don’t worry, I won’t really be dwelling on it as much as this post might imply. I hope to be as jaded as you are about it one day! ;)

Perhaps you have some advice for an intermediate player who wants to connect with better players, but who can’t commit to an actual working band more than a couple of gigs a month?

I’m guess I’m looking for a good, gig ready band that does at least some originals, but isn’t gigging much at all! That should be easy to find right?

Maybe I should just stay in the wood shed for a while longer!

Thanks again for the feedback!

16. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    To be honest, it's hard at our age to find those players. Are there any decent blues jams in your area? Some of the best connections I made back in the day were from good jams.

17. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Definitely didn’t get the LB job, both of these were around the time I moved to LA, 2001-ish.

The Limp Bizkit thing was a full on cattle call held at guitar center Hollywood and I have a mutual friend with “Fred” and he had me ushered to the room to audition. Basically I just went there with my guitar and they asked me to play for 5 minutes, solo to nothing! So I did some weird open tuning fingerpicking stuff, sort of my style at the time, knowing there was no way in hell I’d join the band.

The 30 seconds to Mars was way different...

I was walking down Melrose and the bearded guy from the inside of an SUV asked is I played bass.

Turned out to be Jared Leto and 30 seconds to mars wasn’t even a thing yet. Played with them for a month or so, and it kind of fizzled out.

18. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    LB submitted stuff for the Rollerball remake that was just gawdawful. Went with Rob Zombie instead. LOL

19. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Dude if it were White Zombie I would have done everything in my power to get the job!

JustABluesGuy and fezz parka like this.

20. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Like Nowheresville, man.
    Rob showed up for the meeting in a pink Izod, Dockers and Topsiders. So normal....

Folk_Hogan and JustABluesGuy like this.