Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Didn’t pass the audition thankfully!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by JustABluesGuy, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I will try to find an appropriate one. The ones I have been to around here have often had pros playing at them when they are off the road, making them pretty intimidating for a duffer like me.

fezz parka likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka On...for Omar. Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Real pros well be welcoming. They won't crap in your shoes. Play with them if you can. :)

JustABluesGuy and Stormy Monday like this.

3. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    I jammed with some guys and it didn't go too well, I came in with only a couple days to learn the tunes so I had a little bit of an excuse to be rusty but the other dudes had supposedly been working on the agreed tunes and obviously didn't. The bass player who set it all up cussed out everyone and we did a couple tunes I called out that went over the best of any of the tunes we tried and called it a night. I was really glad not to get a call back and a couple months later I was selling some electronic drums on CL and the singer came by to buy the drums for his kid and I remembered him. He said they turned out to be a bunch of drunks and I was lucky not to have wasted my time with them.. Oh and he bought the kit too... :)

JustABluesGuy likes this.

4. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Congratulations on not getting the gig .

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Years ago I was invited, by a guy at jam night I ran, to "come down and see if you'd fit in with our band". He was, as usual, a mate of a casual acquaintance who said he was "a bloody good guitarist". I thought I'd nothing to lose by taking a look the following week.

I arrived at the pub where they practiced, went to the bar to get a pint, then up the stairs and sat down to listen. After showing me their set list, they started playing the first song. It all fell apart in the first verse. Half my Guinness was gone. They started again. Train wreck. The rest of my Guinness was gone and so was I. They couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but they had a band.

I suppose failed the audition... :(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

6. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Life is too short to spend it in a bad gig. 4 years ago I left a band. It was quite a difficult decision, but it was the best thing. That band served its purpose, but it was time to move on.

Bands are like any relationship...they require work, so the honeymoon does come to an end at some point.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    next time I do the band thing its gonna be me doing the auditioning.
    I want compatible people....for me their playing is secondary.
    I dont want it to be a business. I want artists who have fun and like to party.
    I mean, yeah, they gotta be able to at least play a 12 bar blues, but im not looking for billy sheehan or dr.peart.
    and I dont want no opera singer either. I want some imperfect grit in his or her voice.

bringing jim beam to the audition is a plus.:whistling:

Nubs, apm1991, JustABluesGuy and 4 others like this.

8. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    You and Janis would have made a team :thumb:

JustABluesGuy and heltershelton like this.

9. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I'm with you except that playing ability is very important to me, maybe more than it should be.

10. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 3, 2011
    Batavia, Illinois
    A bit of constructive criticism here. In your position, I think the most respectable thing to do would have been to proactively let the band know that you weren’t interested, one way or another. That is, if you had truly decided that you didn’t want the gig after your audition. Same as a job interview/offer though, keep your options open if that band would still be an ok “last resort.” Just seems to be a good way to avoid any wasted time on either side of the decision making table. If you do it correctly, the band should respect that.

11. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    there is a bit of a selfish motive here....I want to be able to "influence" them a little when writing original music, lol. that and I think to have a really good band, people actually liking each other and getting along is mandantory. songs can be learned. rehearsed, and perfected.

12. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I agree about getting along 100%; it's just that I have many friends that play music, but not all play at the level I want to work at. So I choose the best players among the nice guys.

13. fezz parka

fezz parka On...for Omar. Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    If getting along wasn't a factor, Wayne Perkins would be in the Stones. :)

14. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I feel like I should go out and play some jams but I can't bring myself to do it. I can't really abide the format. I went to one without gear and talked to a really nice guy that recognized me from jams in the past most of the night. That was actually more pleasant than waiting to play.

As for bad bands, I've done that from both directions, been the clueless drunken guy and eventually the more together grown up with the clueless.

JustABluesGuy, tery and davidKOS like this.

15. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    grown up? impossible......youre a guitar player!:)

JustABluesGuy and Yaralag like this.

16. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Are you saying the Bizcuit was too limp to perform? :cool:

17. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Back in the early 90s I was the bass player in a band that fell apart because the drummer left. (Signed with the Deftones and is still doing quite well for himself)
    Being that I was already coming from a pretty popular local group the band Far asked me to replace their exiting bassist. They gave me a free ticket to their concert and I stayed for the first couple of songs. I left and never even talked to them. It was kind of a lame move but I did not like their music and I was pretty full of myself. I see they have records on itunes. Oh well, I’m happy with my choices. :p

JustABluesGuy and tery like this.

18. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Getting along is definately more important than skill level, but skills are still very important to me. I want to play with people better than myself preferably. Failing that I would like people at my level (or close to it) that also show some potential for improvement.

Not playing with jerks is just a given for me. If you don’t play well with others, it doesn’t matter how well you play your instrument!

I’ve played with some great folks who weren’t great players and it was fun, but it would have been much more fun if they had taken the music a bit more seriously, and worked some to improve.

When I would ask “What have you been working on?” more than once the reply was “I haven’t played at all since the last time we got together!”

That gets really old after a while.

If they were beginners it would be one thing, but they both have “owned” guitars at least twice as long as I have, they just don’t practice enough to improve much at all.

They are my friends, and I will still play with them when I can, but that band isn’t going to ever be nearly as good as it “could” be if they were actually serious about it.

19. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I hear ya. I wouldnt mind at all if they could play really well.

20. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Good advice, thanks. I can’t say I was sure I didn’t want the gig, though I had my doubts. I only met the one guy, and according to him there was also a bass player, drummer, and maybe keys? I was thinking I probably should meet the rest of the band (if it even went that far) before deciding.

Thanks again for the advice. I’m new to auditioning for strangers like this and will take all the help I can get!

It all ended on very good terms, despite my indecision. He promised to send me a link to his new band’s website once they get some songs posted.