Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Didn’t pass the audition thankfully!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by JustABluesGuy, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

auditions are a two way street, much like a job interview

I have to sell the reasons why I would be a good fit to you, you have to sell the reasons why your band (job) would be a good fit for me.

JustABluesGuy and BallisticSquid like this.

2. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    The band that I left 4 years ago had some folks in it that didn't seem to be interested in advancing their playing. Yes, it is frustrating! One of them seemed to not even really be into music. She said she was, but when asked what music she liked, wanted to play, etc. the response was really vague and non committal. Most of what I suggested got a disgusted look. I think she liked the idea of being in a band and thought it was cool because her husband is a musician.

In my band, I'd say I'm the least experienced/accomplished musician. This is cool...I learn a lot from these guys. I'm the only guitar player though. I always find myself where I am either the more experienced or only guitar player :(. It would be nice to play with somebody I could learn from...on the guitar. Though there is something to be said for "trial by fire" and "learning by doing".

Especially when you are doing this for fun, there is no need to play music with people you don't like. If you are earning a living from it, then it may be worth tolerating jerks. Otherwise, no thanks.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Very true!!

4. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    A jazz player buddy and I have a saying:

"No matter how well you play does not give you the right to be a A hole"

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    JustABluesGuy and T Guitar Floyd like this.

5. Nubs

Nubs Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    Houston, TX
    AHEM

Still here bro...

6. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

I've deliberately "blown" an audition once and I've 'changed my mind' once...

I felt bad about that last one. They offered the job after the first song and like a fool I didn't ask them to let me think it over for a day, which was really pretty standard. I called them a few hours later and profusely apologized. Unfortunately "a few hours later" was 2AM. But ...they had a gig in a week and I felt they needed to know.

I didn't feel bad about the one I deliberately failed. But it took all of "wrong key," "out of tune," "no sense of time," multiple times to get them to send me away. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    if someones feelings get hurt from telling them the truth, then they will DEFINITELY fail my audition.

JustABluesGuy and davidKOS like this.

8. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    A couple of years ago I almost got picked to replace a friend in a top 40 artist in my country (which are really bad in here). I don’t wanna sound negative because my friend and the keyboard player (also friend) recommended me and I’m thankful to them but I was terrified because it was a well paid gig and I could have used the money (my daughter was just born) so I couldn’t say no if offered the job but the problem: I wasn’t into the music at all.... At the end they went for other guy that they knew better because he subbed the other player for a couple of times. It was a good opportunity but I’m glad I didn’t get it, now I’m working in my music.

9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I was 18 (1987) and had moved a few hours away, looking to get into a band. I auditioned with a group that were older than me, mid to late 20s, and had already been playing bars doing 70's and 80's AOR.
    I learned a handful of the songs they did and played well enough but my style was a little more hard rock vs melodic rock and they had a female singer.
    The cocky, outspoken, overbearing, ego maniac drummer was in charge so at the end his comments to me was something like 'we're looking someone with more of a Boston guitar sound and you have don't it and also that thing (pointing to my Morley Power Wah) I don't even know what that things is" So, no band.
    I subbed in on guitar and bass with some guys in a fairly lame band to play a high school dance and later that year found two guys I that I was with for seven years where we focused on our own music after excising the cover band demons, recorded an EP and then an album and it was an awesome time.

Glad I didn't pass the audition

10. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    when i first moved to atlanta in about 1989 i auditioned for an all original rock band and got the gig without even playing a note.
    on that night there was another guitarist, myself, and the band.
    the other guitarist played first and all he did was play a bunch of fast garbage with lots of delay and other effects.
    when it came my turn i just said, "lets sit at the table, crack that jack open, and write some songs". (i think they liked the way rehab looked)
    i was hired immediately and that other guy got seriously pissed and started raising hell. he got so obnoxious they made him leave and almost had to get violent.
    so, we got an acoustic, sat at the table, cracked open the jack, and they showed me their songs.
    they had just moved there from texas and we got along great. had some rehearsals, played a few gigs, had a lot of fun.....the the singer disappeared and no one ever saw him again.

11. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Lol! Great story. You should end with "and we all lived happily ever after". :thumb:

heltershelton likes this.

12. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    but we didnt, lol.
    i dont know what the drummer did, i lost contact with him.
    the bass player, pete, started playing guitar and joined some band called masada.
    i jammed around in a few other bands that went nowhere then replaced one of the guitar players in a band called grave danger until i formed my all original thing, then was forced to choose between the two.
    i chose to do my all original thing.
    edit....sometime before i joined grave danger i went to dallas and played in a band there for about 6 months, then went back to atlanta.

13. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Yes! And Ry Cooder. :D

14. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, to be fair Ryland lives on a different plane of existence than most other people. ;)

T Guitar Floyd and JustABluesGuy like this.

15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    These guys just like to pretend they’re rock stars.

16. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    What’s up! We need to get together again...

Nubs likes this.

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Sweet and sour pawn balls ?

18. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Every time I don't pass an audition I'm automatically glad I didn't. That helps me carry on with my life.

19. Nubs

Nubs Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sounds good to me man! Lemme know when. Thanks!

20. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario
    Glad to hear it went your way.

Currently I'm trying to find like minded people to jam with, it can be frustrating!!

Nubs likes this.